Norton AV/IS 2012 BETA Get started!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by pj5501, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Now the beta has matured, I decided to install it again. I had it installed upon the start of the public beta, but then I wasn't very satisfied due to some bugs. However now it seems very stable and fast to me, I think it won't take long before it goes final.

However, and this is also something which applies to all vendors (except ESET, this might be one of the reasons why I like ESET so much), I do have got an request for Norton and the other vendors.
    I do want an option at the start of the installation which makes sure no browser extension/plugin/add-on/toolbar/helper object will be installed. They are driving me crazy.

2. shanep

shanep AV Expert

Hi Matthijs5nl,

Can you provide some details. By disabling the plugin, at least for Norton, you will give up quite a bit of protection.

Best,

Shane.

3. hawki

hawki Registered Member

NIS 2011 was released on Sept 8, 2011, so the first or second week in Sept. seems a likely time frame for the release of NIS 2012 I guess.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Nort...11-and-Norton-AntiVirus-2011-Have/td-p/285962

4. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

I simply don't want a visible extension/toolbar, that is why I close/hide/disable everything of Norton (applies to all other vendors as well) visible in my browser. An under-the-hood plugin is fine as long as it doesn't increase startup time.

So for IE9 I have got Norton Vulnerability Protection enabled, and the other two disabled.
    For Google Chrome the Norton Confidential plugin is enabled, so is the Norton Identity Protection extension. But the button and toolbar are not visible. I don't know if the Identity Protection actually provides protection, or is it just for Identity Safe?

Morever, I think it is a sign of impotence that a vendor is dependant of browser extensions for protection. It is simply not acceptable that disabling a plugin lowers your protection. It is perfectly possible to scan links or webtraffic without a browser plugin.

P.S. I don't use Identity Safe anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2011
  5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I see that you have strong personal preferences, but what functional difference does it make if protection is implemented via a "plug-in"?

6. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I agree with Matt.

For me having to use plug-ins in a security product is just annoying and it gives me a bad feeling :thumbd:
    IMO everything should be in the core of the product no matter what feature it is.

7. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I think you mean 2010. ;)

8. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I'm no software engineer, but maybe it's not possible to do everything from within the program core and so some hooks are needed within the browser itself to achieve protection for certain areas?

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

You're opinion is perfectly valid for you, but saying plug-ins annoy you or give you a bad feeling doesn't saying anything about plug-in functionality and how it compares with having "everything in the core of the product".

10. malexous

malexous Registered Member

It seems so: http://community.norton.com/t5/Nort...S-Your-first-line-of-defense/bc-p/125017#M342.
    -
    It means, if you want the full protection, you are limited to two browsers and certain versions of those browsers.

11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Well I don't mean that the protection/detection will suffer due to the use of plug-ins, compared with having everything in the core. It's just that the product/s feels more "complete", more idk it just feels better ;). For example I like PCAV, but it currently uses a plugin for it's URL filter feature wich I don't like, but it will soon get incorporated into the core where it should have been in the first place :thumb:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  12. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Yeah LOL :)

13. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Just downloaded and so far so good.I am testing it out on a single core netbook with no noticeable impact,thats a big plus for norton.

14. Victek

Victek Registered Member

15. chabbo

chabbo Registered Member

norton say It is planned to release on Sep 06 2011.

they did say that on norton chat.

16. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Yes, it's getting close. Unofficial inks are going up and down for it. I remember last year the 2011 product leaked early. They seem to be working harder to prevent it this time. Waiting a few more days is no big deal, at least for me, but some people just gotta have it now :cool:

17. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

I think Norton is good in terms of performance, but it would be better if Norton were light on my system.

18. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

You should probably try other AV's until you find one that's light.

19. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

Will the current users of NIS 2011 receive the 2012 version via update when it comes out, or the new setup file will be required to download and launch ?
    If latter, what about the settings (will it be preserved) and uninstallation of the 2011 before installing the 2012 ?
    How that works ?

20. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

Yes, NIS 2011 customers will get a prompt to download the new update. However, that update gets rolled out slowly as we have seen in the past. It could be weeks. If you want it sooner, then download the exe directly.

21. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I really, really like NAV 2012 beta so far! I think I might buy it once it's released! It's so light and I love the Download Insight. Based on that, I decide whether or not to run the downloaded software sandboxed in Sandboxie or install it in a regular way. Works perfectly! :thumb:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  22. allexif

allexif Registered Member

If you try to search on google you may find the final version. I can't say from where I got it but it is the final version, it was made for HP Computers and has 60 days trial, running very good :)

23. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

Not at all - that is the 19.0.0.128 version, it is a beta, not the final version, and SONAR is not working as it should in it.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Nort...rton/NIS-2012-release-date/td-p/513410/page/5

24. allexif

allexif Registered Member

25. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.