Norton AV 2007

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DVD+R, Mar 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

define "full of malware" :D

2. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I find this hard to believe as well. I went so far to actually try to pick something up by going to crack and warez sites Google identified as being dangerous and coming away from it without incident. Of course IE7 with Protected Mode and me running as a standard user could be factors but the results from IBK should tell you something with it's 96.83% detection rate, detection of all 12 polymorphic viruses put against it, and 0 false positives (I have not seen a test on this myself, just read about it in this forum). I can assume this was tested on an XP machine as well.

3. ink

ink Registered Member

It will not be a big surprise to see adware or trojan when norton installed on.
    It is not so difficult to make trojan undetected by antivirus. You can still found a lot of virus when kaspersky in on.
    The key problem is that, the company must get the sample file to react. Kaspersky is better at the response, symantec is good at the quality of the detection at the expense of the attack time window.
    For experienced user, the HIPS will help a lot. For the unexperienced user, symantec really did a good job, don't ask question you can't answser, even the SONAR.
    If you follow the security tips, it is much better than any security software.

4. ink

ink Registered Member

In my country, kaspersky and norton is the most widely used overseas product. For the every new samples, most of the time neither of them will report when do a scan. Some even can bypass the kaspersky hips. But later on, kaspersky will response to it, symantec much later. There are so many people to submit samples to them. The detection rate of norton is much lower than the local brand,for they have better monitor network. kaspersky is almost the same as the local brand for their hourly update.

5. Metal425

Metal425 Registered Member

Im still against Norton :p
    Kaspersky, and NOD FTW!

6. apm

apm Registered Member

but after install nav, the commit charge/pf usage goes up some tens mb at the windows task manager

7. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

I can't help it. I tried Norton 2007 and now my pc is full of virtumundo, vimo and stuff
    I get pop ups from winantivirus and drivecleaner all the time.

Never had problems and now the pc only has problems

8. jmcre8

jmcre8 Registered Member

Running Norton AV 2007 on a Windows XP Home laptop. Speed tests check out fine ... both with Norton enable and disabled ... but when Norton is on accessing web pages is painfully slow. If I turn off Norton pages load very fast! I spent an hour talking to AT&T (in India) last night ... they said it wasn't there problem ... then I spent another hour talking to Symantec (also India) and had a really bad tech who made me re-run a full system scan even though we had just done one days ago.

We have turned off nearly everything in msconfig ... that didn't change performance! The only thing that helps is manually turning off "Auto Protect", "Live Update", "Spyware Protection", and "Worm Protection".

Does anyone have ideas on what is causing Norton AV 2007 to act so poorly and what I can do to fix it? I certainly don't want to stop using AV protection ... and I don't know if some other software vendor would provide any better results ... but I can't live with this painfully slooooooooow internet.

Thanks in advance for input!!!

9. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

jmcre8.........My problem with NAV 2007 was a little different than yours. I experienced extremely slow start ups with it installed. I have an AMD Athlon 2800, and 1 gig of RAM. I tried everything, and couldn't fix the problem. I finally gave up on NAV 2007. Now, a lot of people here and at other forums have no problems what so ever with NAV 2007. I have no idea what causes NAV 07 to work flawlessly on some PCs, and terrible on others. I would suggest try using AntiVir or NOD32 . AntiVir comes in free, premium, and suite versions. NOD32 is pay only, but it has a 30 free trial version. There is a 30 day trial version for AntiVir's Premium version also.

10. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Jmcre8, do you use IE7 or some separate anti-phishing tool? When I first installed NIS I experienced that until I realized I had two anti-phishings on, IE7 and NIS, so I turned IE7's off. They say that Norton's is better anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.