Norton AntiVirus source code leaked to hackers?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by hawki, Jan 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Pretty sure Symantec confirmed it.

2. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

3. Scott W

Scott W Registered Member

This news does have me concered - as I am otherwise a satisfied NIS2012 user I'm wondering if it would be wise to switch to something else? :doubt:

What are you Norton users going to do (if anything)?

Scott

4. NNard

NNard Registered Member

There are plenty of good products out there. It is just a matter of finding which one works best with your system. My advice would be to trial a few and see.

5. malexous

malexous Registered Member

http://www.symantec.com/theme.jsp?themeid=anonymous-code-claims

6. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Well if Symantec can't prevent hacking on their own 'very secure' servers, I wouldn't trust their products to secure my system ...but that's just me.

Who knows the actual extent of all of this (why take chances)?

Cruise

7. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

It wasn't stolen from Symantec itself, the initial reports said they got it from an Indian government server (most likely army). So that at least partially exonerates Symantec from this.

For current NIS2012 users, I think one must not change their security solution over this. Keeping your program updated will keep you protected, and Symantec has a lot of resources to get around exploits like this.

So, give it time. :)

8. guest

guest Guest

The important thing is that Norton AV and PCanywhere always have had a hole that allowed to governments, or any hacker to enter in your PC. It's not a bug is an intended hole if not they would have pay and try to fix it, but they tried to forget the issue to see if the hacker does not make it public

Now you can trust in Norton :D

http://blogs.computerworld.com/1969...here_source_code_after_50k_extortion_not_paid

Now that all the competitors, and hackers have the source code of Norton, their product is worthless

9. fax

fax Registered Member

ufff, Norton 2012 products may probably share less then 10% of 2006 code... as already discussed here. They did not manage to sell it to anyone including Symantec. So..... the code is practically useless. Too much FUD around it :ninja:

10. guest

guest Guest

According to the latest news doesn't seems that only norton 2006 was leaked

Obviously they are hiding the problem as much as they can, they are not telling the truth as you can read.

11. fax

fax Registered Member

For what concerns symantec AV line (home+Enterprise) they have only the old 2006 code... worthless. Sorry you are spreading FUD. No offense intended... :)

12. guest

guest Guest

Jajaja and?

http://www.infosecisland.com/blogvi...-Code-Leak-The-Real-Elephant-in-the-Room.html

So Symantec had to release a pacth to fix hole as old as 2006 and give full control of your computer to anyone you all the symantec users have been unprotected during 6 years, so no problem the next patch for Norton will open another hole, so they can continue playing the same game.

By the way Symantec don't even know what they got on their servers, the proof is all the contradictory declarations that Symantec have done lately.

http://securityaffairs.co/wordpress...ny-doubts-on-the-assumption-of-extortion.html

So what is the truth? they want to hide the hole that has been open during 6 years with their consent?. So why they have to release patches if the costumers are protected? why they can't easily prove it?
    Why symantec offers money to the hacker to keep him quiet after all? what they have to hide?

To many unanswered questions and contradictory declarations from symantec...
    I'm not spreading any FUD but maybe symantec is doing it I'm just reproducing the same questions that everybody is doing and symantec is not answering.

13. fax

fax Registered Member

This is limited to pcAnywhere. Here we are talking about the Symantec AV line. Please try to get your info right. Once again you are spreading FUD, LoL

Please come back with some evidence on symantec 2012 AV code been leaked then we can speak about a serious problem otherwise this is no news :)

14. guest

guest Guest

I wasn't talking about the 2012 product, when I said norton I mean symantec.
    the 6 year old hole in a symantec product is also FUD?

http://pastebin.com/GJEKf1T9
    What they wanted to hide, Isn't cheaper to release a fix than pay 50.000$? the fact is that they didn't want to release any pacth or fix, they wanted to leave the hole open.

15. fax

fax Registered Member

Yes, huge FUD unfortunately. With your statements you are trashing the entire Symantec AV line based on a pcanywhere hole. It makes little sense to me on top of creating a pointless misinformation (including the FBI/hackers copy/paste above).

16. guest

guest Guest

You misunderstood my last 2 posts. They care about the 50k, FBI... just release a patch a shut up the hacker...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2012
  17. fax

fax Registered Member

Your last two posts are not at stake. The point I have tried to make (that you seem to ignore) is that this statement:
    and
    Are FUD.... as simple as that. And with this I give up since we are monopolizing this thread with little added value. :thumbd: :)

18. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

from reading your posts I just get the impression that your just anti-norton/symantec and are trying to spread a degree of paranoia about their products

19. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

Agree 100%.

20. malexous

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16927660

21. guest

guest Guest

@fax @steve1955 @qakbot @malexous

My apologies, I read all this in a Spanish blog, and I just copied/pasted the links without checking the information.
    I have checked the links and obviously I have been confused about this case.
    It's was not may intention so spread any FUD or say anything bad about Norton, which I consider one of the top paid av's.

22. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

23. silverfox99

silverfox99 Registered Member

I may be over reacting but as a NIS2012 paid user I am concerned enough to have removed NIS from my laptop and am currently trialing KIS2012. Whilst i 'trust' symantec to some extent, it is a concern when the Company initially say "Don't worry no issues here" (re the theft of source code), then later on start issuing paches to fix a hole in whatever programme. No major criticism, and I'm not conversant with the technical facts, just some concern from a plain vanilla user that Symantec havent satisfied my worries yet.

24. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Kaspersky had there data bases hacked twice in a short period of time a couple of years back:-think that was mainly customer details,they also denied anything had been stolen!

25. malexous

silverfox99, they probably did not know the hackers were in possession of pcAnywhere source code. All the original articles I have read only mention "Norton Antivirus."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.