Norton Antivirus Classic 2009

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by HAN, Jun 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HAN

HAN Registered Member

2. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

I would rather have spyware protection and intrusion prevention and stuff incl., but it's cool news and a neat price tag. :p Wonder if SONAR is still there, cause otherwise it's even worse. :D Not that it's proven very useful the last time I've tested it. :D

3. TrojanHunter

TrojanHunter Registered Member

Nothing special here, just Norton Antivirus stripped of it's Anti-spyware protection. It's cheap, but those using it will need a separate application in real-time to prevent Spyware and Adware, so any speed boost is cancelled out.

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

For 15 bucks, it's really cheap. But lack of ad/spy detection makes it kinda useless. I'm sure many would opt for Norton if you'd get this package + ad/spy protection for 20 bucks.

5. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

I’m surprised that Symantec would market a product that provides no spyware or adware protection, even at a reduced price point. Users with a negative Symantec experience won't be likely to renew a subscription to Norton AntiVirus 2009 Classic, nor will they be inclined to upgrade to Norton Internet Security, in my opinion.

As a result, the reduction in long-term brand equity may exceed any short-term gain in revenue, I suspect.

6. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

If it's basically a stripped down Norton AV, why not offer Classic as a free version? I know, I know, because Symantec doesn't have to.

7. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

I suppose that if you already have SAS Pro or another quality anti-spyware on your system, this would make sense. However, Norton Scan & Clean is available for free on Softpedia. While it doesn't have on access protection, it scans and cleans malware including spyware and it's free!

8. gery

gery Registered Member

put some extra money and buy another full alternative. maybe Norton are trying toward a economic fall and trying to recover a little:argh: :argh:

9. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

I think Norton is ~snip~ up new ways to swindle (ASK toolbar, Classic version) because they're afraid that Microsoft Morro will cause most people to drift away.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2009
  10. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

I like all 2009 line products from Norton a lot, but this is just an effort to squezze a few bucks more.They should give this free IMO.
    I'm not sure who would pay for this.

11. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

The user looking for a bargain and don't know a lot about security, resellers ripping people off or manufacturers looking for a cheap OEM AV.

The users wont be happy though, they wont know the difference and will see it as Norton being crap at detecting ad/spyware.

12. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Maybe, but why buy it when you can get Avira, AVG, Avast or MS's new product for free?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2009
  13. TrojanHunter

TrojanHunter Registered Member

The big names in security have tried to play down Microsoft's morro as no great concern because of Microsofts current market share with one care. Will it still be like this when they offer a free anti-virus? I don't think so. Morro will undoubtedly take away sales in my opinion. I just hope Microsoft don't blow it and Auto update at the same rate as Windows Defender (not that ofter):rolleyes: .

14. HAN

HAN Registered Member

To expland on that, I hope they don't use Windows Update as the update conduit. Defender should NEVER have been set up that way and neither should an AV.

15. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I am in total agreement. If spyware infects the PC they will never gain that customer back. I saw this in the store and went o_O why is this so cheap...I don't need AV at the moment but as I was walking away I said there had to be a catch...now I know!!

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

To me its like paying for a big lock on the front door but you leave the back door wide open with a sign saying "come in"
    the sort of people who use this will use it as their only security and wont know the limits of the program.

17. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

I agree. You'll see most OEMs/Resellers bundling Morro instead of other paid options. Because all you need is a genuine windows license and you are not run afoul by the EULA like that of Avira Free or AVG Free. So definitely bundling will be seen extensively and customers aren't going to complain seeing that the product is MICROSOFT.

I think the update will be similar to onecare/forefront. They will use same engine.

18. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Hmmm, so much negativity - for me its a good alternative right now, in the boat for a cheap (not free) quality av and this seems to fit that bill - i allready got sas pro so no need for duplication

19. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Locking the doors but leaving the cat flap open? - the big ones cant get in, the lill ones can!

Hey, you might have another antispyware program running and that's good for you, but the mass market only uses one product - especially the market who are most likely to buy this.

20. stratoc

stratoc Guest

it's still norton! i tried this one too and still get the millisecond longer opening any file than i do with eset or kis and they're suites!
    i have had this with any 2009 product i have tried it's only just noticeable, but it is noticable. and this is just antivirus, but performance wise on standard (not games) settings i notice a very slight slowdown and i dont get this with the other 2 im testing.

21. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I actually saw a television commercial for this last night. What a hoot.

22. iiiears

iiiears Registered Member

Norton products are expensive this a great way to get virus protection at an affordable price.
    Does it offer protection from changes to the registry and checksum system files? Can it run when the screen saver comes on?

23. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

It should. It'll run when you've not been doing anything for 10 minutes (moving your mouse, typing on the keyboard), and when in screensaver as this indicates you're not active with anything.

24. yeuxbleus

yeuxbleus Registered Member

Hmmm...and I noticed more of a slow down with KAV (yes, KAV, not KIS) than NAV (full 2009, not Classic) and about the same impact with NOD32. Oh well...I guess it depends on one's rig.;)

25. stratoc

stratoc Guest

"Hmmm...and I noticed more of a slow down with " that's my point i don't get ANY slowdown at all with nod and a slightlty longer shut down with kasper, but no slowdown unzipping/ moving files about, sadly i do (and always have done) with norton.
    msi k9n2 diamond
    amd940 be
    ocz 8500 reaper
    3x msi 280gtx oc 640/2300
    vista ultimate sp2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.