Norton Antivirus 2002

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by FrozeNn, Sep 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrozeNn

FrozeNn Registered Member

Hi Dudes!

Just wana ask whether Norton AntiVirus 2002 has the same definition files as Norton security suite's Anti Virus?

How come Norton Security Suite can detect Virus that NA2002 cant.?? :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance!

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

New AV versions can have newer engines & also upgraded heuristics. That's how.

3. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Version 2006/7 are a lot better than the 2002 version with newer type of malware and frankly you would be better of with the free version of AntiVir at this point.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi FrozeNn , please have a look at this thread and perform the suggestions to completely remove this outdated software .

Regards!;)

5. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Norton 2002. Is truly abysmal software. And the last Norton I allowed onto my system.

Its Diallar and Trojan Detecting capabilities are basically zero (And I think I still have the £400 monthly phone bill from 2003 to prove this fact :'( ).

Its definition updating feature is also terrible. It would on many frequent occasions fail to update for many unexplained reasons.

Other times it would make you believe it had updated the definitions but did not.

Using this software also let some virus on my system in 2002, only 1 month of buying my brand new PC. And it completely destroyed it. Broke my hard drive. And motherboard. Luckily as it was only 1 month old the shop replaced them.

My honest suggestion after two years of more than happy use would be to get Kaspersky Antivirus. And forget all about Norton.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

oddly i think norton 2002 was the last norton I used as well.

the detection of trojans and other malware was like zero.

7. FrozeNn

sorry post in the wrong post just now.

and yeap

ive just install KAV 6.0 D

cheers buddy but its lagging me while im playing games. any idea?

8. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Well, I suggest you to try NOD32 instead. It is lighter in resources then KAV and its detection rates are almost the same and sometimes even bigger thanks to their heuristic engine.

9. Don Pelotas

Here we go again.:rolleyes:

10. Suggers

Suggers Guest

You could try setting the realtime scanner to it's lowest settings, or if you're just trialling KAV 6 then you may want to consider trying a different AV to see if it suites you better.

Suggers

11. FrozeNn

found a temp solution which is just disable the protection while playing games :D

12. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Going to what ? Have I said something wrong?

13. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

pykko,

I think Don's point was that immediately after the installation of a new product in which some configuration/use assistance was requested, suggesting pulling that product and installing an alternate option doesn't really address the question posed.

FrozeNn,

There are also a number of measures possible short of disabling the product that should probably be pursued first.

Blue

14. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

I used to think that no matter what PROGRAM version you were running of an AV or such, you'd get the same sigs, and thus same protection.

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well norton is rubbish in that way. you have to pay extra to get the lastest version.

16. IBK

IBK AV Expert

no, the newer program versions (e.g. 2006 and 2007) have a e.g. new engines etc. which allows to detect much more malware and is e.g. also "lighter" than the older versions. The older versions are not able to use all the definitions etc. included in the updates.

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

except in the case of norton and they normaly get hevaer

18. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

Oh I know. I used to think differently though. I used Norton 2000 for awhile a year ago, thinking it was still getting the signatures.

Funny, I would think the older Nortons were less bloated, like most products.

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ye i kinda thought you did. i stopped using norton on the 2003 or 2003 version.

and soon to get rid of f-secure. sometimes you just gotta get trhe better thing and move on.

20. Don Pelotas

Thats exactly what i meant.

21. Don Pelotas

You should this with Kav 6.0 uninstalled:

1. Run the Norton removaltool:ftp://ftp.symantec.com/misc/consumer/Rnav2003.exe.

2. Download and install the trial of Regsupreme, run it (use normalmode only, not aggressive), when finished scanning you rightclick and select "All", then you click "Fix" at the bottom, it will ask you if you wish to make a backup and you do, just to be safe.

3. Reinstall Microsoft windows script.

4. Reinstall Kav 6.0, keep the default settings and do a full scan as the first thing.

Add the game to the trustedzone found in the settings.

22. FrozeNn

Yeap, but initially, i have already cleared off Norton AntiVirus 2002 using Add/Remove Programs and using CCLeaner to clear up leftover stuffs.

So, will implementing the above methods (running the tool etc and reinstalling) help to remove the lag in my game with Kaspersky protection on?

Cheers and thanks for the reply earlier on. :cool:

and ya, to add on, if i were to follow ur procedures, whats the method that i shld use to remove KAV?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  23. Don Pelotas

Just add/remove programs, exit it first from the icon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.