Norton AntiBot

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Mars, Oct 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mars

Mars Registered Member

So my trial for anitbot is winding down. i have Avira Premium security suite (which i love) with SAS free. Now over the course of my test drive, i felt antibot was useless. i felt if i go and buy it, it will evidently never find anything. im i wasting time and money with this program? should i reconsider lol.

2. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

+1, and way to expensive to be worth the money... You can give Comodo BOClean a try if you want something similar for free.

3. guest

guest Guest

4. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Mamutu will compliment APSS beautifully. It's an excellent light running behavior blocker. It would be money better spent at this point than AntiBot, IMHO. I can't fully recommend ThreatFire's latest builds due to too many 'issues' cropping up for many people. You may find that it runs well for you, so I would try both before shelling out the moolah.

5. Mars

Mars Registered Member

and they dont have a 64bit build...sad times lol but money isnt a problem, however, if you guys do say there are better programs for a 64bit then cool.

thx guys!

ps: boclean and mamutu...i think ive tried them both. dont recall. But do u guys know if boclean runs lighter than mamutu, or vice-versa? (i know comps are all different, i just want to skip the foreplay in trails)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  6. guest

guest Guest

mamutu does NOT work on x64 systems, they are working on it, and threatfire too

7. Mars

Mars Registered Member

ya, just noticed the alert 20 secs ago lol

8. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

a2 however does work on vista 64 wich has mamutu included, right now i wouldnt advice anythingh other then that but just cus u didnt get infected all that time doesnt make norton antibot weak - its just that youll hardly ever c a false positive with it where other products are alot more noisy

9. guest

guest Guest

A2 antimalware has mamutu integrated, the scanner works but the part that do the same that mamutu do not work on x64

10. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

There was an upgrade today, current version is 1.1.851 :)

11. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Your post prompted me to install NAB again, I was given it when it first surfaced but it doesn't survive long here outta testing. Anyone know where the change log is o_O I don't have one in the program files - perhaps there's one online?

12. TrojanHunter

TrojanHunter Registered Member

It's not useless, but works in a different way to your Anti-virus software, detecting behaviors rather than using traditional signatures. If there's no harmful processes running...then it's logical the software is going to stay quite:rolleyes: My kaspersky AV hasn't found a virus in sometime, it must be useless?:p I'm sorry, but the logic you have used there is flawed. Mamutu works in a similar way detecting behaviors, so you wont be better off, but you could give it a try. I've found Norton Anti-bot to be a great piece of software and you do know it's Sana sercurity primary response safeconnect re-branded, which has done well in review tests.

Someone mentioned Comodo BoClean, but that software works differently..apples and oranges. Comodo BoClean like most Comodo software I have used seems to be buggy, but that's just my opinion.

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Excellent decision!

MAMUTU is heads and tails way above what AntiBot offers which is DANGER!
    I know after testing it that it's grossly incomplete and will prove risky at best for anyone who is so naive to think their protectd by it. IMO it's by far the worse of the worse i ever tested and i have cancelled ever trying such a black hole app again. It offers an open invitation to lose a lot of time and effort once a real malware finds it's way merrily dancing right on thru it's plastic coverage.

EASTER

14. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

When Sana Security released Primary Response SafeConnect (NAB's daddy, so to speak), it was an interesting and well received app. I licensed PRSC, and my other on access anti-malware (AntiVir, SAS, and BOClean at that time) always nabbed any malware infiltration attempt. Today with the advent of apps like Mamutu and now Prevx Edge, PRSC and NAB will be forced to s*** or get off of the pot.

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

QBgreen

I totally agree with your sentiment. I'm sorely disappointd with Antibot but really didn't expect anything less.

16. Mars

Mars Registered Member

- that and ppl with 64bit comps are stuck with them hahaha (i say that in the best way possible)

17. TrojanHunter

I don't know your testing methods, but even these guys here state Norton Anti-bot will not detect dormant threats like other sercurity programs do because that's not how it works. It's by no means perfect (neither is any of these behavior apps), but it done a decent job in this review.
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2168917,00.asp

18. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

No offense but PC Nag is not a premium accurate reporter by any stretch, in case you forget in this capitalistic system we become pawns to, you the actual customer are the sole decision maker on any results by that magazine no matter what they publish, and i have read much rubbish thats been evidenced by customer's own experience from various products, so i would never be so naive to take any results or ratings of their sample programs as Gospel, the percentages prove that out to be more true then their rhetoric.

Your best decisions should only be your own and filter thru other customer's pros and cons rather then buy the London Bridge from a big money publisher.

I think you'll soon discover if you haven't already that Wilder's Fiercest Scrutiny and honest results have proven time and again to completely strip away clean their favored publishing claims.

That being said, Norton is IMHO by far and away the biggest and longest living gimmick ever conceived & perpetrated as any i have ever seen in my life.

EASTER

19. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

You mean Symantec products, Norton is an aquired av right?

20. TrojanHunter

I understand what your saying and I by no means believe everything I read in a magazine. Magazines are known to publish inaccurate information at times, so I never always take them as gospel. The same goes for Information on the internet, anybody can publish any claims they like.
    However in the review I linked to it did seem quite reasonable to me, with the pro's and Cons of the program. I don't speak for it's accuracy, but I take an educated guess on whether I take an article seriously or not.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  21. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

No offense toward your favorite out of any spite,but instead i tend to get hot under the collar when i purchase a product that relatively sits there idle while my FREE programs are busy at work intercepting authentic disruptor threats. I been around this corner before and thought i would have learned by now, and in fact i'm choosing much better then ever before although i still have a tendency to take chances against my better judgement which always seems to get me in a feeling of being taken. I am much better at making the right choices though even in spite of trying to return back to an app i assume by now has advanced when that's not always the case unfortunately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.