Norton AntiBot

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Hangetsu, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hangetsu

Hangetsu Registered Member

If you have a solid suite, does this really provide any protection value? I have a copy myself (and its nothing against Norton products at the moment, I'm using NIS 200:cool:, but I really don't think its doing much of anything.

I know it doesn't chew up much resources... But is it even worth having on in the background?

2. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Yes, because there's no such thing as a "solid" suite, except for possibly Kaspersky.

It's always funny how people install these kind of programs and then think it's not doing anything. I find this quite absurd. Have you ever had an encounter with malware? If not, then what are you basing your opinion on?

It's kind of like hiring a security guard, and then thinking the guard isn't doing anything much because he doesn't kick legitimate customers out from your shop.

3. Abeltje

Abeltje Registered Member

I used NIS for several months. I think it has ok protection, but indeed if you're just a bit cautious you will never need it. There were several occasions when I was busy in the "grey" areas of the internet and P2P networks and I actually did encounter virusses, but NIS didn't recognize them. Even Antibot didn't help then. NIS was actually just shut down by one of them, since Security Center is turned off by NIS you run the risk of not even noticing. All in all, it was very disappointing and frustrating as I REALLY started to like NIS. It does slow down the computer sometimes for example when it's updating, but generally the feeling was VERY nice.

I think Antibot is not agressive enough (probably to avoid false positives) to provide solid protection. You can rather try Threatfire imo (although I find it to be more heavy on ressources). Actually I have doubts about the usefulness of behaviour blocker type of programs. It's always a tradeoff between setting it too aggressive or too mild. It can be a good complement, especially if its more aggressive and the user knows how to deal with certain situatin and to spot false positives, but it's very difficult. Also, malware authors can test their programs against the blocker, especially against a program by Symanted I can imagine. If you just don't do too many suspicious activities at the same time but consecutivley, Antibot will never give a peep. For the moment I rather rely on a program with good signatures.

That malware that I run into was actually always identified by Kaspersky signaturs (and sometimes by several others, but Kaspersky was the only consistent one, not even Antivir can match that). So now I finally made the switch to Kaspersky. Kaspersky generally feels smooth, but when you have heavy internet traffic sometimes it uses quite some CPU. But it's ok I think, at the moment imo Kaspersky is the program with the best protection offered and they do improve constantly both in secureness and useability.

4. Hangetsu

Actually, I'm thinking more along the line of having a set of security guards guarding the shop (the suite), then having this other guy sitting down smoking a cigaretee while the others are working.

And I don't think its ever absurd to ask a question regarding the value of a piece of security software vs. the resources its taking up.

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

is it needed, prob not.

Will it add an extra layer, sure.

I found ab to be a little slow for what it does, but that's just
    me.

6. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

I run it on my XP Pro box with ZAAS, AntiVir PE Premium, and SAS Pro as my current lineup. While this sounds like it would be a heavy load, it isn't. I like the technology, very few false positives.

7. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

What kind of? Blacklisting, whitelisting or sandboxes?

8. Hangetsu

That's kinda my thoughts as well. Given I don't visit any... "unusual" sites :D and I keep my suite up to date, I simply was questioning if the added resource utilization was worthwhile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.