Norton Antibot

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by AshG, Jun 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AshG

AshG Registered Member

2. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Sorry, not promiscuous enough to pick something up over the course of a 15 day trial.:D

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Seems interesting as it incorporates SANA n SONAR.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I tried it briefly. It seems just rebranded and re-skinned Primary Response Safe Connet from Sana Security. Even the GUI is very similar. PRSC has signatures as well, in addition to behaves. Same is true for it as well.

5. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

Why Symantec don't acquire Sana? Just a rebrand?

6. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I installed it a while ago. I was kind of disappointed by the "15-day" time limit though.

I am surfing some crack sites to see if anything happens. The last time when I done this I was testing NIS I didn't fare too well in picking anything up, lol.

7. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

What's funny is that you said you're surfing crack sites right after mentioning being disappointed in the 15-day trial. :D

8. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

I installed it, looks nice, but what he found it's FP in my CANON printer directory... :rolleyes:
    Anyone has case when it detected real malware? I am very interesting how effective NAB is.

9. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

:p :D

I used to do those sort of things in the past but don't need to anymore. It is not worth the bother and usually you ended up with more than what you bargained for (as some people found out when they installed Vista Ultimate Malware Edition, lol).

Anyway it was another total let down again. I only came across an Active-X program that IE wouldn't let install. It is bad when you go look for trouble but can't find it, lol.

10. Sportsfan1212

Sportsfan1212 Registered Member

I would say the technology is very promising, but why pay $30+ a year for it?! I would probably stick with Cyberhawk Basic and Sandboxie for extra protection.

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I don't see any point in wasting $$$ for this where Cyberhawk can work just as fine. And last time i again checked it with latest malware it had excellent detection rate for brand new stuff. So take avast! + Cyberhawk and you should deal with pretty much anything, anywhere, anytime.

12. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I have installed it in XP and Vista and the installation went fine. It doesnt pass some leaktests I threw at it (but maybe it isnt supposed to?) It detected Scoundrelsimulator and was very informative of what it was doing. I was given the option to allow or remove it I told Antibot to remove it. It gave a nice log of exactly what it did remove. The interface is easy to understand and have not very much options.
    Antibot has a nice feature where you can whitelist processes that wont be monitored if you wish.
    I will have to find something else to feed it with so I can see some action....

I agree though that 15 days is not very long time to evaluate it.

13. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

Is there any news? Someone catch something with this product or only FP-s?
    I am really interesting how effective this product is.

14. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I used it for the fifteen days trial on Vista. In that short time not much happened. Installation went fine, didnt have to reeboot which always is a plus. No problems with compability with my other software for example Norman Virus control, boclean, Look´n´stop and Prevx2 (but I only had Prevx2 and Antibot side by side for a short period of time) I forgot to look at the memory consumption (I usually dont care about that) it didnt have any noticeable impact on system performance. It was not intrusive at all.
    I installed the demo(?) malware PRUEBA (AB turned off) and Antibot detected and got rid of it. It took three reboots but after that it was gone.
    The trial period was really too short for me to evaluate it properly so it didnt persuade me to buy it.

15. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

Final realase is available, but I can't find any changelog. Anyone can find it?

16. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

< 20 Mb

Gerard

17. tamdam

tamdam Registered Member

well if it is just a rebranded safeconnect then it would be decent but still miss some malware. But anyway I won't draw any conclusions because I haven't tried it.

Oh, as for finding nasties on the internet, there's plenty of resources on the internet to help you out :)

18. ink

ink Registered Member

You can find what it monitor in the help file, I think it does not include sonar. For advanced user, of course better to choose the free one, symantec often offer the more convenient silent software.

19. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Norton Antibot is running very silent, threw some rootkit samples and they were caught. Off course, Antibot for me is a second layer, using Pro Security as my first.

dja2k

20. CogitoErgoSum

CogitoErgoSum Registered Member

Hello dja2k,

I am pleased to see that you are giving Norton Antibot a try. Please see the following links:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1046719&postcount=11
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1046874&postcount=18

FYI, Norton Antibot is basically a rebranded version of Sana Security's Primary Response SafeConnect(PRSC) v2.2. It is installed at both the ring-0(kernel) and ring-3(user) levels. It is a behavioral anti-malware application which looks at a combination of behaviors to determine whether a particular program is malicious. It will not react to tests that test individual behaviors. It will detect and remove malware dropped by zero day exploits, malicious javascript and drive-by downloads. It monitors both network activity and memory operations. Lastly, it uses lists to help manage false positives and give names to some of the most common threats. It does not rely on these lists for detection.

After trialing Cyberhawk, Prevx and PRSC, I decided to purchase a license to PRSC this past April because I experienced no conflicts, false positives and system slow downs, it consumes 2/3rds less memory resources than Prevx, its protection against Morgud's DFK Threat Simulator and it complements my resident security arsenal nicely as part of a layered defense strategy. PRSC is best appreciated by those of us who understand its strengths and limitations. Hope this helps.

Peace & Love,

CogitoErgoSum

Last edited: Aug 5, 2007
  21. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Yeah, I think Antibot is working quite well. The app is very light, and GUI is clean and simple. But I guess Cyberhawk will give you the same protection, just for free.

22. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

Does it require any signature/database update? Or is the database (if any) online like Prevx?

23. CogitoErgoSum

CogitoErgoSum Registered Member

Hello lu_chin,

PRSC configuration updates are "usually", but not always updated once a month. As I have said in post #20 up above, it uses lists to help manage false positives and give names to some of the most common threats. It does not rely on these lists for detection. Please see the following links for more information regarding PRSC:

http://www.sanasecurity.com/products/home/sc/faq.php
    http://www.sanasecurity.com/why_sana/technology/index.php

PRSC can be trialed or purchased via the following link:

http://www.sanasecurity.com/

Hope this helps.

Peace & Love,

CogitoErgoSum

Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  24. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I knew about this program already and that it was a rebranded product. I clearly choose my products before I install them, but thanks for the added nformation for me and other posters.

dja2k

Last edited: Aug 5, 2007
  25. AshG

AshG Registered Member

I just used my Beta tester discount to buy a couple copies. I am pleased with how my sysem responds with it instaled alongside NOD32. I'm a safe surfer, so it's probably overkill, but I will say I'm amazed to have installed a Norton product after all these years. It's nice for the price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.