Norton an archiving defs...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by RejZoR, Oct 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VirusDefs

I wonder how many defs does Norton archive in the upper folder?
    Right now i have 6 total,which are 72MB in size!
    Its a bit strange...

2. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

I normally see 2 to 3. You only need the latest one for NAV to function properly. Have seen this problem since NAV2000. Another reason to avoid PIGGY NORTON.

There is very little innovation at Symantec. This is an acquisition company.

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

NAV2005 is far from being pig. Mem usage is very low and scan speed is very high. I "fixed" the weekly definitions so its quiet good now. Daily virus defs mmmmm. Actually they are released amost every hour :p

4. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

There's more to SPEED than just memory load and scan. What about installation footprint? Ease of removal? Hard drive throughput performance? Ease of virus database update? And product activation? Were you able to test these parameters?

I can see the merit of maintaining ONE backup definition file. But five? That's not good software engineering.

The daily update can be a problem if you don't have broadband.

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Size doesn't really matter on 20+ GB drives (i'm at 200GB so...),uninstaller works like charm(doesn't left a single unneeded file or reg key),Throughput? For scanning of all files on Highest Bloodhound Heuristics its damn fast. No slowdowns even if i copy/move huge files. Updates? Automatic weekly,but i handle them with my Norton Rapid Updater. Yes,i'm on DSL...
    Just these update backups are a bit strange...

6. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

OK...may give this a try. I've seen a lot of junks left with the older version, possibly because of the activation protocol. There are still too many good programs out there, so I don't know if I will want to bother with product activation.

In general, poorly coded software tend to have a larger installation footprint. Have you checked the HD space before installing NAV2005? Do you see the same amount of free space after you removed the software? Did you scan for files created after the removal of NAV2005?

BTW, auto update will occasionally remove the older virus definition folders.

Thanks for your inputs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.