Norton 360 v3.0 released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Kerodo, Mar 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

I like to think it's very small definitions, depending on how many new viruses there are released sort of and not for the SONAR. SONAR is analyzing behavior. Engine updates and such for the SONAR is obviously released though.

As CountryGuy said, are you refering to v2 or v3, cause since v3 now features the same updates as Norton 2009-edition, I would expect both the super-light footprint and FW customization being a part of N360 as well.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Must be referring to v2. V3 is extremely light, and I would expect it to be about on par with NIS/NAV 2009.

3. imagreenster

imagreenster Registered Member

Hi Keroda or who can help.
    where can I find this free upgrade from NIS 360 version 2 to version 3.
    answer needed quickly please.
    thanks.
    imagreenster

4. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

Hi imagreenster,

Take a look over here
    Choose wich product you have now, and then follow the instructions.

Cheers

5. imagreenster

imagreenster Registered Member

Thanks, JasSolo

Brilliant. Worked a treat. Had ordered and been sent wrong NIS product, decided to keep wrong product if I could upgrade! You helped me do that, so saving me the faff of returning 360v2 for what I ordered (NIS 2009).
    Thanks for the help.

imagreenster

6. JasSolo

You're welcome, hope your product will serve you well ;)
    Btw welcome to Wilders.

Cheers

7. Fly

Fly Registered Member

(Not to hijack the thread, but I feel the urge to post this)

Well, I knew that Norton was expensive.

I just happened to notice the retail price for NIS 2009.

I'm in Europe, please don't ask me where.

After currency conversion NIS 2009 costs a bit over 90 USD !

8. JasSolo

No problem mate, just buy it through the US site and you're home free ;)

Cheers

9. Fly

Fly Registered Member

For Norton that appears to be an option. But I don't intend to buy a Norton product.

10. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

So why post that here?

Anyway, trialling v3 here and am v impressed - as I was with NIS2009 but had to uninstall after moving to 64-bit and losing SONAR etc.

11. 1timeuserrr

1timeuserrr Registered Member

Hi. I meant Pulse in my previous post... ;) according to this product comparison chart from Symantec, 360 v3.0 doesn't have "Pulse updates every 5 to 15 minutes or faster" or "Intelligence-driven technology for faster, fewer, shorter scans".

The link is this:

http://shop.symantecstore.com/store...age.NIS09wide?ipd=InterstitialChall&ipln=true

That's why I prefer NIS

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't know if it was Pulse Updates or not, but 360 v3 was updating constanly here when I ran it, sometimes several times per hour. For what it's worth.....

13. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, that's what it was doing here... Now whether that is "Pulse Updates" or not, I have no idea.

15. raven211

You prefer? It's simply a "typo" by Symantec. Have you even tested N360v3 before stating what you do? N360v3 features the same security features as Norton 2009-edition, but adds backup and tuneup to the arsenal, which is also run when idle. In performance testing by PCMag, N360v3 seemed even more optimized as it came later and was faster than NIS09 in pretty many cases.

16. 1timeuserrr

1timeuserrr Registered Member

In one of the companys I work for, they bought 360 (3pc license) and the other PCs have NIS 2009. 360 seems to slow down things. For example when opening IE 7, it takes some seconds more to open than on the PCs with NIS. Also, it takes longer to send emails from Outlook...

My experience is no way as exhaustive as PCMag's but I'm talking about my own experience.

Anyway, my first post was about how 360 didn't have that nice 5-10 minutes updates and Symantec, with it's comparative chart, says so. Probaly a typo as you say.

17. raven211

Yeah, it does make sense that it would use more resources as it incl. more, but still not as those things that are additional are supposedly only run when you're idle. I guess that's why PCMag often got even faster results with N360v3 compared to NIS09 as it came later and probably therefore even more optimized as I mentioned before.

If you want, I can link you to that page in the review and you can see what was measured to be faster in comparison.

Did the company run NIS09 prior to the 2009.5 update (16.5)? If so, I wouldn't be surprised N360 was slower in the browsing case as it from first final release incl. the final version of Safe Web. Safe Web came in the 2009.5 update for NIS09. Dunno about the mail, though... My guess is that it's because software works differently on all systems and configurations - cause that's simply how it's.

18. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

the new version of nis2009 has 64bit support now

19. matt547

matt547 Registered Member

Hi,
    I have always used NIS in the past but was cheeper to buy N360 v2 at the time so am running that currently and it is time to purchase a new copy, im looking at either NIS2009 premium which has the pc tune up tools but doesnt have the backup faclilty but can use windows backup anyway or N360 v3, which one has the best performance overall so security performance and speed so which is less resource hugry or isnt there very much difference at all.

Cheers matt

20. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't think there would be much difference in that department between NIS and N360. The only thing I can think of is perhaps N360 will have a resident scheduler going to startup the backup and other tune up type processes when needed, and maybe NIS wouldn't have this going. Aside from that, the 2 are probably identical, both have AV and firewall. I have N360 v3 and I can say that it is quite remarkable and light now. A huge improvement over v2. I would say just go with whichever one has the features you want.

21. Victek

Victek Registered Member

There's a big difference between NIS and N360 in terms of the UI. If that's important to you then you could run the NIS trial and see how you like it (the UI in N360 v3 seems exactly the same as v2).

22. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Registered Member

I actually prefer the N360 interface, but to each their own for certain!

As for pulse updates, it definitely has them - I get multiple updates an hour (except weekends, they might take a couple hours between updates then).

23. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, same here.... I think N360 has a nice interface....

24. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Thanks - I reinstalled NIS2009 after 16.5 update and everything's working fully with x64.

25. Crappopotamus

Crappopotamus Registered Member

I had the link at one time, where on the symantec site can you go to d/l the newest versions of their products if you already have a key? I've been looking for about 15 minutes now and can only find trialware, but I know I've seen a link here somewhere to grab newer versions without waiting for liveupdate to send it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.