Norton 360 v3.0 released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Kerodo, Mar 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but Norton 360 v3 is out now. Free upgrade to v3 from v2, it will remove v2 and use existing subscription etc. I installed it last night and am amazed at the superior performance in this version. They have incorporated all the latest NAV/NIS 2009 technology into this plus more and it seems extremely light and fast with no impact on system performance. The install was also 1000% faster than prior versions, took less than 1 minute here. I am impressed. If you like the all-in-one suites and/or Symantec, then you will enjoy this latest update.

2. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Got it - running very nice so far :) Far better IMO than the other competitor "MEGA" suites.

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

How is Norton 360 v3.0 different from Norton Internet Security 2009? I know it has a backup feature - is there anything else?

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Here is their product comparison page:

http://www.symantec.com/norton/products/charts/comparison.jsp?pcid=mp

Looks pretty much the same as NIS except for the Backup and PC Tuneup features. 360 is perhaps a little more set and forget also.

5. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

It's just NIS09 w/ a yellow color scheme.

And NIS09's menus cut and paste all over the place.

6. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Registered Member

Not so, if you run 64 bit. Pretty much all of the functionality (such as SONAR, right click / context scanning) now work under Vista 64. Integrated backup and tuning are nice features as well, and don't produce any additional drag (noticable at least) compared to NIS2009.

I think if you are running the 32 bit version and have a backup solution, you're right - Its not a huge difference. However, if you are running Vista 64 its a pretty big upgrade imho.

7. icr

icr Registered Member

Trailing Norton 360:thumb:
    Up and running good quite impressed with it

8. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

I think the same have now been added in the NIS 2009 16.5.x version which was released recently.
    See this thread for info:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=235020

9. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Well, I wouldn't expect it either. v3 should incorporate the idle-detections found in NIS and NAV2009, which means the full-screen detection (and Silent-Mode) is included. With previous versions of N360 when testing it I'd SERIOUS problems with the idle-detection. Would start doing scans and tasks while playing heavy games! :mad: This was with both Beta versions and Final versions, and I reported it over and over, and they said it was fixed and would be fixed over and over (since it wasn't), and wasn't even in the final! No wonder N360 v2 got bashed by the users... When asking about idle-detection of NIS2009 vs N360v2, an employee said that they had the same technology! :blink: :gack: o_O :D - N360v3 clearly shows they don't.

10. raven211

Just out of curiousity - is anything missing? :blink: o_O (referring to "Pretty much all")

11. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Doubt it.

12. raven211

Atleast I thought it didn't seem like it. :D

13. raven211

Interesting that they don't mention for example registry defragging which is a part of Norton Utilities (or more like PC Tools Registry Mechanic almost, but we all know why :D :)) - then they could sell that expensive piece of crap on their customers too. :p - Does anyone know if Norton Utilities registry defrag is using the proper method, that's defragmenting on boot so there is no risk of data-loss, non-functioning programs, or rearranging the desktop to name a few... From what I've seen so far, System Mechanic and Auslogics Registry Defrag are the only ones doing right, compared to respected programs like TuneUp Utilities (or more like previously respected...). Since I've been experiencing those serious problems with registry defragmention software not doing things properly, I can only trust those two right now, even if I obviously choose Auslogics first. :D

14. CountryGuy

I don't think so, at least compared to NIS2009's AV features. I don't have a 32 bit box to check against, so I can't say with 100% certainty.

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't think so either. I would expect 360 v3 to now have all that NAV or NIS has, plus more, including any latest technologies.... it was just the last product to be updated.

16. TechOutsider

Nope. Used it during beta tests, just NIS + backup/tuneup + SONAR on x64 (mentioned by a poster)

17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

The updating has changed in v3 also, I see it contantly getting new updates, sometimes many times within an hour. Whatever is needed. Pretty nice. So far no issues.

18. TechOutsider

Well the updating (LiveUpdate) changed from NIS/NAV 08 ==> NIS/NAV09 as well.

19. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

does this also incorporate the new ask toolbar and the added site checks?

20. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yes, it does....

21. dbrisendine

dbrisendine Registered Member

22. raven211

23. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Can any one tell me if Norton 360 also relies on DNS Client being enabled?

24. 1timeuserrr

1timeuserrr Registered Member

360 is not as customizable as NIS 2009 in the scan/firewall department. I prefer NIS and it's Sonar feature updates every 5 to 10 minutes.

Also 360 is heavier on resources than NIS.

25. CountryGuy

Are you referring to v2 or v3? v3 Uses SONAR, and has those same updates. Resource utilization is extremely low.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.