Norton 360 All-In-One Security Released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by rayoflight, Feb 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

i certainly wont (ps i'm not a kaspersky lover, this is just a bloated monster, (like the one care stuff), something nice like other security suites, e.g bd, f-secure, kis, avira, ZA, even NIS 2007 got the important components, av (+as), firewall, anti-spam, privacy features and sometimes parental controls. not everyone will need all of them, but those are the important parts of the suite, but this 360 it's just a "how to get people to pay more for what they don't use" product

2. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

How can U decide what is important for other people? Anti-spam, big time bloat for me- I definatly dont need that. Parantal controles, sorry but I dont want to controle my girlfriends surfing habbits. I know a lot of people who would have good use of a suite who does a lot of N360 features for them (people who dont know about ccleaner, empty temporary internet files, defrag and so on).. U cant speak on their behalf..

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i dont have a pc that will run it.
    i will test anything with the pc im building soon.
    im gonna use rollbackrx on my new pc im building and also have data on seprate partition for extra safety
    lets hope i can get a weekend job soon to pay for the pc lol
    lodore

4. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

My previous comment was in someway as joke (because of the tons of reviews and comments out there). I admit I never tried any version of Norton in the past and I think I'd never do so.
    But in the same way, if Norton doesn't cause any trouble to you, then congratulations and keep using it. :)

5. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

i knew that........and so is lodore......good to see people bashing products w/o reason..........but thats not my pass-time.....

6. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

Dont waste you time with these guys. Once a Norton basher, always a Norton basher.

7. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

very true,no need to argue with a ignorant man....

8. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

:thumb:

9. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

That is simply not true. :D I despised and spoke out against Norton 2004-2006 "home" products for years, but the 2007 Antivirus, including Corp 10.1/.2, are fine products. I have no problem recommending and selling them to customers either. :thumb:

10. Ga1tar

Ga1tar Registered Member

Used to be a person who would tongue lash anyone that dared mention the word Nortons in front of me, such was my hatred for anything containing the name. However, after much debate with my demons I installed NIS7 as I am a firm believer in that no company can remain stupid forever. NIS7 is smooth and an eye opener and is the way forward for Nortons, but this 360 package is something else again, and would need to show something really special before I took a closer look at it.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the trend i have found with norton is as follows.
    Norton 2003 rubbish Trojan detection, resource hog and leaves remandents after uninstall
    Norton 2004 resource hog not sure about Trojan detection hard to remove.
    Norton 2005 recourse hog had better Trojan detection but still hard to remove.
    Norton 2006 utter rubbish Trojan detection and still hard to remove
    Norton 2007 ive heard its easy to remove,better detection rate and uses less resource
    it seems that Norton has some good editions but then you have the 2006 version which had really bad Trojan detection.
    the 2007 version has improved alot and I should give it some credit.
    so will norton 2008 be crap or even better than norton 2007?
    only time will tell
    lodore

12. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i have liked 2 versions of norton,

2005 - because it was a 'WOW' from 2004, although it did have a few 'minor' problems

2007 - because its not like any of norton, its new, fresh GUI, and ive had no problems, no un-installation problems, no update problems and removal is quite good too, 2007 gives alot of info on detected malware.

but ive never listened to the -haters of software, i go for the tried and tested method, and if i like it... i say so, and if i dont, i also do that.

i honestly believe EVERY AV on av-comparatives will protect you, no matter how good/bad scores are, and i think they will protect you the same way as each other, these are just numbers, but for any user on the internet, any of them should keep you safe, so the question would be... do you like the software? if yes, go for it. :)

13. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Basically, the trend with Norton is that every 2 years, a new feature addition as well as improvements to the scan engine are made (2002, 2004, 2006). The next year's product (2003, 2005, 2007) is an attempt to refine the technology in order to make it work more optimally and using less resources. Even the latest version 2007 just proves my point. Its lighter than 2006 and has a redesigned simple to use UI which allows users to easily use all features of the program, thus indirectly increasing its efficiency...

14. Moshe Haven

Moshe Haven Registered Member

I was a beta tester of Norton 360 for several months. I wouldn't install it for free. In fact when I tried to take it off my machine I had to reformat the hard drive and reinstall everything.

It has numerous problems but attempts to talk with their tech support people in India showed that they didn't have a clue on understanding.

Even the section to report problems didn't work. You can't set limits on other user's (like children) access to the net. You can't view the logs to find out what the system has done in terms of quarantining or removing viruses. Even just trying to set the controls on it for the firewall and allowing or blocking specific sites is problematic.

The biggest problem is that while every program has bugs, in this case the support people are all but clueless. I went so far as to talk to second level supervisors when I found that the support people I reached weren't familiar with the product and found they were equally clueless.

After years with Symantec this broke my confidence. So now I'm using AVG but am experimenting with McAfee since I also need a way to block some sites from my kids. The two don't work together but I'm working on it.

In any event it will be a long time before I buy Symantec again.

15. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

Moshe Haven,

I use and recommend K9 Web Protection for blocking sites from kids. Not only do I use it on my kids computers but I also use it on my own computer, not for the protection from adult content however, but for the spyware and phishing filters you can select under "Custom" filtering. It doesn't conflict with AV or firewalls (at least that has been my experience). You can check it out here: http://www.k9webprotection.com/

PS, I am in no way associated with the developers of this program. It is just something I use and recommend as a parent.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  16. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

In regards to Norton 2007 products,and Trojans, I observed NIS 2007 pounce on and Block a Backdoor Trojan thingy, that was trying to install on my PC yesterday, I then ran a Custom Scan with Spy Sweeper ( it found nothing) and ran the online kaspersky scan (it also found nothing) So I guess Norton NIS 2007 is doing a very good Job :thumb:

17. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Since I am a "Norton-Basher" as well since NIS '04 left a bad taste in my mouth, I have decided while waiting for the Vista version of F-Secure I will try out NIS '07. I really hope they have improved the product for at one time Norton was THE antivirus of choice. I don't really have much use for an "all-around" solution such as 360 though (same applied to One Care).

I am downloading the trailware now and will give it a whirl.

18. huangzhengliang

huangzhengliang Registered Member

I don't know how the Norton products are made but I do know that Norton 360 has been written from scratch.
    Are the NIS products just new features they stack onto the previous version and alter the code a little rather than rewrite everything from year to year?

19. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

the new version of norton antivirus was totally rewritten for 2007. That is the reason it works so much better than the earlier versions.

20. Macstorm

Then they are admitting that their previous versions were totally c***..

21. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Yes, some may like it, but a lot will not. I have Kav and if they would put all that stuff in one package I definately would not like/buy it.

Everyone has a right to their own opinion/ use what they like that's freedom of choice.

22. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

I just read a user review on CNET who said that Norton 360 doesn't offer right-click AV scanning for individual files; instead, you are forced to do a complete scan. If that's true, it's already an easy decision for me :D

23. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I have installed Norton 360 now on two PC's and it's a wonderful program! It's no resource hog at all, it doesn't slow down anything and it protects the PC's very good. Bought it for less than 50 euro's on the Symantec website. I have tried out almost all internet security packages available but this is for me the absolute winner. And I never was a Norton lover :)

24. Macstorm

How do you know if it's protecting well your pc? Have you tested it or did it catch nasties on your pc since installation?

25. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

Do you ever think that a Norton proiduct will not protect your PC? It always was the ram hungryness of the product and the bloating that made people turn away from their products. This is the opposite. And 360 indeed worked very fine against the malware I have on my system for tesing purposes. Quite similar to software like KIS2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.