Norton 2015 beta

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by marciocruz, Jul 7, 2014.

1. vojta

vojta Registered Member

Norton is absolutely excellent. If you want to get rid of PUPs that Norton doesn't consider as PUPs, run Malwarebytes free and you are good to go.

2. m0use0ver

m0use0ver Registered Member

Or pay for their real time protection and not have to let them bone the Symantec protected computer in the first place.

With that, the most pertinent question of the Symantec Beta...Does it work alongside Malwarebytes Premium.

After all prevention is far better then remediation.

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

You're correct that MBAM is one of the solutions to the PUPs problem, but that's not my point. Average users don't understand what's going on when they have a security suite like Norton installed and yet their computers are unusable because of PUPs. They don't understand the difference between PUPs and viruses, trojans, etc. They feel the security software should be capable of removing them and I think they're right. For instance Avast has a setting for detecting PUPs. Unfortunately it's Off by default, but at least it's available. The current Norton products seem to be unable to detect PUPs. Is this 2015 beta any better in this regard?

4. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I think they have succeeded in making the plainest and most dumbed down UI that I have ever seen.

Also, for all of the complaining about PUPs, I believe there are potential legal liabilities for having this turned on by default, which from my understanding is why most vendors that even offer detection have it turned off out of the box.

5. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

That is crap; coming from a vendor as large as Symantec.

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I've heard that too, but it doesn't stop MBAM and Hitman Pro from detecting and removing them by default. What's the point in using security software made by vendors who are intimidated by spammers who make quasi-legal "opt out" virus-ware?

7. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I'm using the new beta along with mbam premium without issues.

:)

8. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

NPE included with the beta has a scan for unwanted applications now, but I agree, Norton should stop and or warn of PUPs before they get installed.

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Please say more about what you feel is "absolutely excellent" about it.

10. guest

guest Guest

The changelog is amazing :eek: I hope is true xD I will give it a try soon, will see how it works.

11. Norsi

Norsi Registered Member

The thing I really can say is, that's quite fast ;)

12. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

13. Norsi

Norsi Registered Member

Well, the config options are pretty "detailed" for the suites today, but not as detailed as e. g. KIS has been few years ago.
    I'd say Norton is good for advanced users, little less options for experts, but still perfect for "average Joes": They won't see all these complicated screens until they go for the "Settings"-button :D
    And the main screen with the 4 or 5 categories is quite simple ;)

14. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Fast at what? Scans?

15. Norsi

Norsi Registered Member

I was more talking about the performance hit during "normal" use of your PC :)

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

People complaining over PUP's should also understand that average users would remove it all regardless if they need that app or not and then they'd blame Norton for doing it. Thats' why they don't do it at all and they focus only on real actual threats that are that by all means and definitions.

17. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Anyone else seeing high continuous CPU activity-25%-50% by NS.exe?

SnapCrab_NoName_2014-7-15_14-0-2_No-00.png

18. Victek

Victek Registered Member

That's an interesting theory. Can you give examples of bundled "opt out" PUPs that you would actually want to keep on your computer? Since PUPs are currently one of the main problems causing my customers to spend big $$ for on-site cleanup I bet the vast majority would prefer it if their security software removed them. In fact people who use Norton software often ask me why it's not protecting them from this stuff and is there something better they should use instead. I've never gotten a call from someone because their security software removed a toolbar they wanted or stopped pop-up ads. The truth is virtually all users don't even know how the PUPs got on their computers in the first place.

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

A lot of stuff is free when bundled toolbars and stuff are present. Some of the stuff gets deleted because the installer contains PUP that can be deselected during installation, there are stuff that is considered as PUP entirely even though it's a stand alone app. Casual people just aren't able to make decisions what's what on stuff that might be problematic only in very limited situations. Yahoo or Google toolbar aren't PUP's by any definition and you can easily uninstall them through programs and Features menu. The toolbars that get installed without user nowledge and can't be so easily removed, that's PUP. But those don't come from MS, Google or Yahoo...

20. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Well, you're correct and the problems are real. There's a lot of legitimate, useful software that bundles garbage-ware. Average users don't know how to opt out or how to remove the garbage afterward, and security software designed to detect and remove PUPs may remove the primary installer EXEs, etc. There's no one clear answer, but I can say that Symantec deciding to not even detect PUPs results in customers feeling that the Norton products are useless and a waste of money.

21. waters

waters Registered Member

Why have this here, if its because they think it has more than antivirus protection then lets move Kaspersky and the others here also

22. Victek

Victek Registered Member

The Norton products (and many other brands too) are marketed as complete solutions and that's why people expect them to be able to do everything.

23. hawki

hawki Registered Member

It's true there are serious potential legal liabilities in blocking the download of or removing a PUP.

Malwarebytes is to be commended for it's aggressive approach on PUPs and Hitman Pro, also, if they are doing this too.

Webroot has also begun to identify certain PUPs and recommend their removal and has the ability to successfully do so.

24. hawki

hawki Registered Member

I seriously doubt that. Most of Symantec's customers don't even know what a PUP is.

Kaspersky does not ID Pups. Do people feel that Kaspersky Products are useless also?

I got the ~snipped as per TOS Conduit browser-hi jacker/default search engine switcher using Webroot and KIS 2014 together.

Pain in the rear to remove if you have never had it downloaded before and have to Google to learn how to remove it (must be 10,000 Google returns for Conduit removal). But I do not consider either Webroot or KIS useless.

For a number of reasons I had uninstalled Webroot and was relying on KIS 2014 alone for a period of time.. At some point I reinstalled Webroot and on installation it detected a PUP as a threat and recommended it's removal and successfully did so. I forget the name of the PUP but it is in it's normative state a harmless as advertising tracker of somesort that is not blocked by Ghostery, but it does have the potential to be seriously malevolent if brought under the control of malevolent persons and has the ability to take control of your PC.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2014
  25. phalanaxus

phalanaxus Registered Member

If I'm not mistaken PUP detectin can be enabled in Kaspersky.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.