Norton 2013 Products Final Released.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Brocke, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

2. itman

itman Registered Member

I did run the automatic program control at "aggressive" originally but did a while ago reset it to automatic. It didn't make any difference with that black shutdown screen issue.

I am hoping this new patch currently being distributed will resolve the issue.

3. itman

itman Registered Member

4. Trooper

Just installed NIS 2013 guys. Default install, not sure what settings need to be changed.

Ran a live update (rebooted a few times as well to make sure) but this keeps happening?

Thoughts?

In addition, would it be ok to run this with WSA? Or is that overkill, or would their be any conflicts? Just curious.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

For some reason it's having trouble downloading them... maybe their servers are having probs at the moment? No idea... or a network problem on your end?

6. Trooper

Not sure. How do you open a support ticket with them?

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

8. Trooper

Yeah its kind of weird lol. I may try the chat support.

Update. Did a little bit of research and it seems like I am not the only one with this problem on 2013. Most folks said 2012 was ok.

So, uninstalled 2013. Downloaded 2012. Took a few reboots and some patience, but now 2012 is fully updated (according to live update). Now I wish I bought 2012, since the license for 2013 does not appear to work. Its late etc so will deal with support tomorrow night.

If anyone knows how to fix this issue please let me know. Either that, or will support let me use the 2013 license (which is now in trial mode) on 2012?

Kind of a weird problem. Thanks for your help Kerodo. ;)

Now, this is a default install. Any tweaks I should be doing for 2012 for performance, or security? Keep in mind, I have not used Norton in 10+ years.

Thanks.

EDIT: I am a big noob here. Just tried inputting the license key again in 2012 and it worked! Glitch in the matrix? Dunno but cool beans. :cool:

Now if someone can assist me with best settings as I asked above, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks again! :D :ninja: *puppy*

9. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

normally the key should work fine. they have got a bit stricter with some of their lic'ing though this past year. especially with those "upgrade keys" you can find dirt cheap. but otherwise it should be fine. im not a huge fan since 2011 but overall its a great av. with nortons unless you want the pop ups default is pretty good but you may want to turn off things like back round scan etc unless you dont want to worry about doing the scans, i find the back round things tend to slow down some systems a good amount. keep in mind nis is far more sensitive imo than many others as a example will flag anything unsigned even if not truly malicious. there is a long thread at their forums about it. otherwise not a bad choice.

should be no issues with wsa but may be overkill since nis is very sensitive (imo).

10. vojta

vojta Registered Member

That amazon.com offers use to be for USA only. I tried to purchase a Norton license (download) from them a couple of months ago and they didn't accept my credit card because it was not from an USA bank.

Of course, Wilders' policy of not allowing that "offers intended to have a limited geography" are posted doesn't include the USA. USA only offers are all around this forum without an issue.

11. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

It's just really odd that I have run 2013 on 3 machines, 1 with Vista, 2 that started with 7 and were upgraded to 8, and I have never had any of these problems. 2012 works well enough but I have found the 2013 to be lighter. I'm not sure what to suggest since there seems to be no clear fix for the people having issues. If the 2012 is working it is probably best to leave it be.

12. Trooper

Wow really? This machine is six plus years old, but who knows. I may contact their chat support about it. Would like to run 2013 but as I have stated, others are having issues and have remained on 2012 due to this.

Am I missing out on anything by running 2012 vs. 2013?

13. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I wonder if there is a conflict with currently installed software or remnants of previously installed stuff.

14. Trooper

Could be. It had ESS on it for years. But that and WSA have been uninstalled. :doubt:

15. itman

itman Registered Member

Unfortunately, you reacted to quickly with this NIS 2013 installation. Live Update can fail to complete updates at times for a number of reasons. Just running it manually afterwards usually sucessfully completes any downloads that failed origionally. Or just wait until the next automatic update runs on its own.

NIS 2013 also has automatic fix capability when you observe or feel something is wrong with the installation. To accomplish this, you click on the Support tab of the main NIS gui screen. Then click on get support. NIS will run a self diagnostic and activate an Auto Fix function if it finds anything wrong.

Important: Did you run Norton's removal tool after you uninstalled NIS 2013? You should have done that before installing NIS 2012. If NIS 2012 starts acting up on you, I would recommend uninstalling it via add/remove programs. Reboot. Then run the Norton removal tool. Reboot. Then reinstall NIS 2012 or 2013.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  16. Trooper

You are correct but it was late at night, and I was tired and impatient. I also Googled the problem and saw others on the Symantec forums complaining about it as well.

I ran the Autofix in 2013 and it found nothing. However in 2012 I ran the autofix and it fixed a few issues. After that, Live Update seemed to be fine.

I did indeed use their removal tool prior to installing 2012. Maybe I should try 2013 again? Do you foresee any issues with that?

Thanks for your help.

17. itman

itman Registered Member

In all honesty, I can't advise on NIS 2013 usabilty on old hardware since all old PCs I have are running NIS 2012. That said if the only problem you had was Live Update, I would give it another shot. If the Live Update problem inititially shows, give it a day or so to see if it straightens itself out.

18. Trooper

I may do so. Are you running 2012 on old hardware due to issues you've had? I also noticed a bit of a slow down on my machine with 2013. Also the network icon in the system tray had a yellow x through it (like when there is no internet connection). However I did have working internet.

So not sure. I may just leave well enough alone but I am a bit miffed since I purchased 2013. However as I mentioned, I am not alone with the dislike of the 2013 product. Well, except maybe for Jack here. ;)

19. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

We have 2013 running on a few old machines(a couple built when XP was not long released)with no issues at all,it seems to run better on those than 2012,all I can say is "try it" if it doesn't run well it isn't the end of the world,it can easily be removed and an older version re-installed:-if you don't try you will never know all the advice in the universe cannot make up for personal experience

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  20. itman

itman Registered Member

I just received the 20.2.1.22 release for NIS 2013 this morning. Hopefully this will resolve the shutdown issue. So far I haven't had one hang up.

I will state one thing I don't like about NIS 2013 - the firewall. Norton went with a trust model for this release. If any app is trusted as rated by their community, the app gets full inbound and outbound access. This includes IE! Well, as far as the Norton community goes, most apps are trusted.

So one rule I would definite modify is the one Norton created for your browser.

21. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Last time i used norton inbound and outbound could be controlled...Must have changed then.:doubt: :doubt:

22. itman

itman Registered Member

If your running firewall program control in automatic which is recommended, the app rule is automatically created with no alert. You have to search the log for new firewall rule entries. Then you can go and modify the rule to your liking.

23. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

ok thanks itman.:thumb:

24. Trooper

That is unfortunate about the firewall in 2013. Makes me want to stay on 2012 now. Lol.

am I missing out on anything by staying on 2012.?

25. Feandur

Feandur Registered Member

Hi itman , Trooper

Is this the uninstall tool link for NIS?

https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=kb20080828154508EN_EndUserProfile_en_us&ct=us&entsrc=direct_feedback&lg=en&product=home&version=current&pvid=f-home

The on-page instructions say just to download the tool to the desktop, and then double click it, and then follow the on-screen instructions.

It doesn't say to use windows add/remove programs first.....
    Can you help clarify what I should do?

-cheers,
    feandur

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.