Norton 2013 Products Final Released.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Brocke, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vojta

vojta Registered Member

In the posts I have found about this at Symantec's forum people say that they ignored the warning and everything seemed to be fine between the latest version of Norton and Malwarebytes. For example:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Issues-20-3-0-3/td-p/914569

Is there someone who has found a real problem running both? If not, this could be just a generic warning like the ones that Avira makes during installation, nothing serious.

2. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

the exclusions are because of a degree od incompatibility between those two products,like I said there has been some issues for ages,the size of those issues does seem to vary with release number!

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Setting the exclusions is probably a good idea regardless of what AV you are running with it.

4. rinem

rinem Registered Member

Any performance differences between NAV and NIS?

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Do you mean impact on system resources or ability to protect the system?

6. rinem

rinem Registered Member

Impact on system resources :)

7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I've mainly used NIS over the years, but the contact I've had with NAV on other systems suggestions that it has a very similar feature set (minus the firewall of course). NIS, NAV and also N360 have "performance monitoring" which introduces significant overheard and which I personally consider useless. To significantly reduce the impact of the Norton products turn off performance monitoring, background optimization (unless you want defrag running in the background) and "monthly reports". Also, I recommend turning ON boot time scanning and set to Normal. It will slightly increase the boot time in exchange for a regular check for rootkits while booting (Off by default). Hope this helps.

8. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I have a license for Norton Internet Security and have a question. If I install it on my computer is there a way to opt out of installing the firewall?

9. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Nope.

10. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

ok thanks...won't be using it then

11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Perhaps it's possible to use NAV with the NIS key? If Symantec would count that as a "downgrade" :doubt:
    Maybe someone got the answer to that :)

12. zerotox

zerotox Registered Member

Unfortunately it is not possible.

13. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Too bad :(
    That's something that every vendor should have as an option for it's customers that uses the vendors suite to be able to downgrade to the AV as long as the license is valid :thumb:

14. zerotox

Yes, I agree with you. But besides ESET and Trustport, I don't know about other vendors allowing for downgrade. Kaspersky, Avira, F-secure, Bitdefender would not allow that.

15. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Right, hehe wishful thinking from my side I see. :)
    I actually thought it was more common that vendors did allow this but I think I was wrong.

16. er34

er34 Guest

Actually, it is possible.

I have worked with Symantec and Norton team for about 18 months and this is something performed regularly.

If you have valid Norton 360/Norton IS lic, just contact Norton Support or Norton Support - preferably chat.

Then, explain the agent your case and your wish - they will confirm.
    The procedure requires them to perform the downgrad by remotely connecting to your machine using their remote support software (Log Me In).

Then the agent will disable/cancel your current account, he/she will uninstall your current Norton IS/360, etc, he/she will reboot, will install Norton AV (for example), will activate and update it, and will provide you with a licence for Norton AV. The new licence code will be with the same validity (expiration date) as your initial licence.
    The agent will then disconnect and your are done :thumb:

17. zerotox

Yes, in this way it is, I meant in a normal, standard way without having to waste your time explaining whatever to whomever as you have paid for a more expensive product and would like to use a cheaper one. I don't see any disadvantage or loss caused to AV vendors by a customer doing this.

18. er34

er34 Guest

I have done this numerours times for clients and it takes no more than 15 minutes (max). Norton/SYMC agents are aware of this, as I have said they do it and it is not a problem. Each and every company has its own procedures, advantages and disadvantages. It is all about their licensing/activation system.

19. zerotox

Thank you for your explanation, I suppose I overreacted a bit.

20. nine9s

nine9s Registered Member

Do you know if this would work for a service provider edition. For example Comcast offers a free Norton 360. I do not want all the system management stuff on Norton 360. Do you think Symantec would allow me to use Norton NAV or NIS instead?

21. er34

er34 Guest

Hi. I suspecty not. Because NIS/NAV and N360 are strictly retail products with license that is managed by standart Symantec rules. Comcast does not offer Norton 360 - they offer Norton Security Suite which is specially changed version similar to Norton 360 and Norton's Security Suite does not have a licence and is not managed and supported by regular Norton support agents:
    http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/Products/CGPS/norton/
    http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/Support/?cid=NET_33_605

It doesn't hurt to try but as I said - I am almost sure it won't work.

22. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

You would think that offering consumers a choice would be optimal. Unfortunately a handful of years back the "all-in-one suite" became the product of choice for those who wanted security, but didn't want to invest the time and research to decide what options are best, as well as discover what options are compatible with "other" security software. However in the case of paying customers, you would think that businesses would provide the option for not using something that they paid for rather than FORCING the customer to use it. I guess they simply don't want to assume liability if a customer turns off "their" firewall and experiences a problem and wants to blame it on only the antivirus portion.

23. hawki

hawki Registered Member

On June 10,2013 Norton released a patch fixing issues that had appeared respecting the compatibility and simultaneous operation of all Norton and MBAM Products

http://community.norton.com/t5/Nort...mpatible-with-Malwarebytes/m-p/973709#M240007

24. itman

itman Registered Member

BitDefender allows for a downgrade. They have the entire procedure described in the BIS 2013 user manual for example. I also beleive Kapersky allows it but you must contact them first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.