Norton 2011 BETA started

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by 3GUSER, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Yes, the last thing many users want is bad news from their security software. The more the software shields them the better.

FYI, I've come late to the party but I finally installed the latest beta in an XP VM. No problems with the install and a couple of scans of the clean system. I like what they've done with the GUI - it's a little harder for me to read then the 2010 GUI, but it's more attractive (what with the blinking map and all) LOL. Fortunately I don't spend much time interacting with NIS. One thing I noticed is they changed the "early load" option to "boot protection" with different levels Vs On/Off. I don't know if they changed the way it actually works though. If it proves stable for me I will probably install on the Host OS as well.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  2. icr

icr Registered Member

Even I am quite well settled with this BETA and it is very much stable. The thing I don't like is its removal process otherwise its a top notch product. I'll try to contact their team and provide better info;)

3. guest

guest Guest

There is any place with a resume of what's will be new in norton 2011?
    Is Sonar 3 already implemented in 2010?

4. yaslaw

yaslaw Registered Member

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Ive just tested NIS 2011 in virtualbox windows 7 64bit and im quite impressed.
    I tryed norton 2010 first and found the prompt for creating a norton account annoying.
    norton 2011 is faster. the repuation scan is very quick.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  6. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Nice to hear :)

It takes just seconds - It requires just name , email and country(location) . You don't necessary have to use your real name or real email address .

7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Note that creating the Norton Account makes it easy to manage licenses. It's definitely worth taking a few minutes and creating a legitimate account if you plan to do more then use the trial license.

I agree that the 2011 product looks very good. At the moment live updates for the beta appear to be on hold which is causing the app to go into warning mode, but that is a known issue and they say it will be sorted out soon. As usual licenses from previous versions can be used to activate the 2011 product (not the beta, but the released version). The liberal license policy is a big plus IMHO.

8. Techfox1976

Techfox1976 Registered Member

Is the new SONAR going to hopefully reduce false positives?

When working on infected machines, it catches a vast quantity of removal and diagnosis tools as malware and destroys them. When I'm working on disinfecting any computer with Norton on it, or even just diagnosing an infection, I generally have to uninstall Norton before I can even run basic tools.

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/New-Beta-Build-18-1-0-22-is-Now-Available-July-26th-2010/td-p/258527

10. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

More about SONAR 3:
    http://community.norton.com/t5/Nort...ehavioral-security-in-Norton-2011/ba-p/224116

I am not sure what are those special diagnostic tools you use but it is not necessary to uninstall Norton . What it flags is ComboFix , I am not aware of anything else . Additionally , you can disable Auto-Protect by right clicking the icon and it will not be problem to run the program you want . If the program detects something as a threat you should be cautios when using such tools.

11. Victek

Victek Registered Member

12. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Running it on Windows 7 along side Prevx no issues so far. Seems nice and light not to far off from the finished product I'm guessing.

13. shanep

shanep AV Expert

Once the product detects a threat, it takes a safest approach and scans all areas of the system for side-effects that could be related to threat. It does this because there is no safe way to determine if that threat was indeed ever executed. There are many cases where we dont know if the threat was ever executed: a) it was on the machine before Norton was installed b) it was executed while Norton was disabled (which is what happened in your case).

The time taken to process the threat depends on the type of threat. For some kinds of threats, large portions of the registry and/of file system need to be scanned looking for side-effects. This can take time depending on CPU speed, memory, hard-drive speed etc.. the usual factors.

Hope this helps.

Shane.

14. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

To any who have NAV 2011 beta installed- Open up a file manager and right click on either a drive or directory in the Left pane. Do you get either a crash or error message?

Tried to report this as a bug on the beta forum but didn't get any feedback. Perhaps it's just my specific configuration.

15. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Hmmmm... No crash or error message but it did take somewhat longer than expected for the menu to pop up, like 5 seconds or so, on any drive, not on sub folders on any drive though.

16. Pablo87

Pablo87 Registered Member

does anybody know when NIS 2011 comes out?

17. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Next time you can use the search option here on in the Norton forum because this has been asked before quite a lot of times.

Symantec/Norton doesn't have a public date for relesing the product but most probably it will be released to final in the end of September/beginning of October.

18. Pablo87

Pablo87 Registered Member

sorry mate my mistake
    thanks for the info

19. cruelsister

Anyone else getting a buildup of dat files in C:\Windows\temp? Symantec support assured me that NAV doesn't use that folder but it's certainly not the case here.

20. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

You can use Process Monitor from Microsoft to check this out .

21. cruelsister

It was without doubt NAV. I could watch the files getting dumped with every update. The problem here was the same thing that happens with Symantec Endpoint: the dat files build up and aren't being removed on reboot anymore.

22. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

You might want to report your problem to the forum or contact Norton support.

23. cruelsister

I have done so. I really just wanted to know if anyone else who is using NAV beta is also getting the temp files.

24. ALiasEX

ALiasEX Registered Member

PowerDesk has fixed this in a newer version. Do you still see this with the latest Xplorer2 (1.8.0.13)?

25. cruelsister

It wasn't a PD problem- it happened with PD, Xplorer2, Windows Explorer. But it seems that the problem was restricted to my computer so is really of no consequence.

I reported it in the Beta board and as there seems to be no resolution I've since moved on. C'est dommage!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.