Norton 2011 BETA started

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by 3GUSER, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

I just recalled something when testing some malware... it's not downloading new malware from the Internet that was the "problem". The "problem" was that it doesn't check the same way when it comes to the local area. I'm thinking most of all about infections the USB way. This is faaar too common and dangerous at the same time. I'll ask about this on the forums...

2. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

SONAR / on-execution scan is for all applications . Currently in version 2010 the cloud (Insight) doesn't for Auto-Protect module but for Download Insight and a manual Insight Network scan .

In 2011 they have added PowerEraser (new aggressive scan utility) that can find and remove what the installed Norton has missed . I don't think that Symantec can implement cloud scanning in real-time due to the fact that this might slow down the computers and might produce more false positives. Still , they are not ready to do it.

Threats coming through removable media (USBs, for example) are handled with updates and SONAR.

3. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

Side note:

http://rapidshare.com/files/377038992/NISBetaDownloader.exe.html

This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times.

This limit is reached.

To download this file, the uploader either needs to transfer this file into his/her Collector's Account, or upload the file again. The file can later be moved to a Collector's Account. The uploader just needs to click the delete link of the file to get further information.

4. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

I hope that Symantec makes this an option, so that users can individually make the tradeoff decision between the thoroughness and timeliness of a full system scan.

The 2011 “new features” list includes: “Reputation Scan expands upon the File Insight and Norton Insight features in the NIS/NAV 2010 product... by allowing the user to collect reputation information for files in any user specified directory.” This may be a step in the right direction.

5. Pleonasm

For information about the performance improvements in Norton 2011, please see The Performance Strategy Behind Norton 2011.

It appears that the performance impact of the product is becoming even more “lite.”

6. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

They are really doing their job....So after couple of months we'll gonna see a very light product..

7. Pleonasm

8. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Look, now it starts to get interesting. *downloading Norton AntiVirus 2011 beta* I am interested in the precise differences between the AV and the suite. (Only security related differences: not parental control, anti spam etc).

9. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Yes, could someone reupload?
    To prevent this from happening again the uploader could also sent me the link in PM so I can download it before the limit is reached and then upload it to my Premium account ;)

10. drakester

drakester Registered Member

11. lubieplacki

lubieplacki Registered Member

One small question. Can I use licence keys for Norton 2010 in 2011 version?

12. ALiasEX

ALiasEX Registered Member

For the beta, no but for the final version you will be able to. For 2010 you can use a 2008/09 licence.

13. iwod

iwod Registered Member

From the performance Blog it seems 2011 will be even more efficient then 2010 in terms of system resource. This is amazing.

I think i will stick with Avast. Unless Symantec can offer a some cheaper and much more flexible pricing for Multi User and Multi Years License.
    ( Norton is consistently more expensive then Eset and KAS )

14. lubieplacki

lubieplacki Registered Member

When we can see the final version of Norton 2011?

15. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

Depends where you live. Here in the states, I can get most security products for $0 after rebates right before the new products hit the shelves. So what I do is buy the old version at $0 and then use the key to activate the new version.

16. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

At the end of September - beginning of October 2011

17. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

You serious? I'm most certain you mean of 2010 - the year we are at now, you know? :D

18. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Oh , sorry . Yes , I mean 2010.

19. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Nope. I have a 3 user license for all 3. Norton (NIS) was $45 for 2 years, Kaspersky (KIS) was $25 for 1 year, and Eset (ESS) was $63 for a 1 year RENEWAL. Norton and Kaspersky products can be bought cheap from resellers, ESET resellers charge full price.

20. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

In holland I have to pay €50 euro for 3 pc's/1 year Norton. I find that far too expensive: I only use it on one pc anyway.
    Via a special site with discounts for students I can get ESET really cheap.
    For me: ESET NOD32 1 year: €13.50 / 2 year: €20.50. Kaspersky is also on that site but quite some more expensive. Norton only has NIS available on that site but Internet Security suites are no option for me.

21. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

Looks like the Europeans are getting stiffed. :argh: Too bad.

22. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

download via softpedia....full 39mb file is available for download.But will have to register at beta page for the key.

23. icr

icr Registered Member

I am now able to download the NIS BETA now:)

24. Pleonasm

25. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Perhaps you've noticed how small and compact Norton has become :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.