Norton 2009, I don't feel protected

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by larryb52, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Ok I found it I stand corrected:thumb:

2. bigc73542

It didn't delete Eicar it just blocked it.

3. osip

osip Registered Member

Yes, but you can restore it from resolved security risks-more details or from the quarantine...Deleted but restorable with options for exclusion...

4. denniz

denniz Registered Member

Note the paragraph styled layout, the "Remove Infected Files Automatically" isn't on the same level as "Compressed File Scan", that means the "Compressed File Scan" option is the "parent" option, while the "Remove Infected Files Automatically" is the "child" option. The child option only applies to the parent option.

5. bigc73542

If you will read my posts in this thread you will see I stated I stand corrected that I found it , meaning the info.

6. denniz

denniz Registered Member

;) I read your newly posted messages after I already typed and posted my own message. We had a bit of an overlap. ;)

7. bigc73542

hey thats cool no probs :thumb:

8. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Im really enjoying NIS2009. Its very silent and i like it. I was allways looking for low cpu security and i found it with NIS2009. It updates every few minutes, the firewall doesnt slow down the internet connection, background jobs are only started in idle, it has SONAR. It achieves Advanced+. What else do you want? For me one of the best softwares in 2008.

9. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Registered Member

I understand the OP's original position and agree with it. Its one thing to read test results, etc., but if you don't FEEL protected, that's all moot.

Some people won't (gasp) feel protected by NIS2009. That's fine and their prerogative - There are plenty of quality products out there. For others, it works rather well.

10. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

We have Norton 360 v2 on our desktops and we're very happy with the silence. I'm not as crazy about the slow bootup on my 512RAM box. My wife's has 1G RAM and it's fast.

Once the boot is complete, I don't notice any slowdown over the pre Norton days when I ran no AV. I'd prefer not having all the junk included in 360 but I'm not sure it makes much difference when not running.

All in all, I'm very happy and I suspect Norton will stay on my desktop. I do a manual update at each start, and manually update several times throughout the day. Auto update is turned on, but I just prefer seeing the update happening.

11. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi :)

I have NIS 09 on Laptop :)
    My Taskbar icon disappeared yesterday too!

I see this happen quite often with AVG 8 .. On my Desktop Computer.
    I don't know why it happened yesterday with NIS 09 :doubt:
    but with AVG 8 ... The Taskbar icon always disappears after a big update.

I Just...
    1/ Right Click On Taskbar
    2/ Properties
    3/ Notification Area
    4/ Customise
    5/ Click On - NIS 09, AVG 8, Or... Whatever!
    6/ From The Drop Down menu... Click On - Show
    7/ Click - OK
    8/ Click - OK

This always works with AVG 8
    That's Of Course... Until the next big update :rolleyes:

I don't think the Taskbar Icon going missing... Does always signify - It's Stopped Working! :argh:
    e.g.
    When I first turn on my Laptop ... I have a Taskbar icon for my Bluetooth Mouse.
    After about an hour... It Disappears!
    However!
    I know the mouse is definitely still working ... Because I'm Using It! :D

I do like NIS 09
    But I have to admit... I liked N360 v1 ( Not v2 ) ... So Much More!

I'm not convinced by these pulse updates
    I think they're just a gimmick :(
    I've had to run Live Update myself - Quite a few times.. To get Pulse Updates going again.
    And when I run Live Update... There is almost always some updates to be installed :rolleyes:

My main reason for sticking with NIS 09 - Has got to be it's Firewall :thumb:
    No matter how much I learn about computers...
    I just don't think I'll ever be able to manage a Firewall with lots of Pop Ups :doubt:
    I've also got a little lad.
    So Security With - Pop Up's ... No Go!
    If my little lad didn't let something slip through the net ( Click - Allow )... I know I'm daft enough to :oops:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  12. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Now... That Is Odd! o_O

Just as I had finished typing my last post...
    NIS 09 Taskbar Icon .... Gone Again! :eek:

When I Looked... Is was back to being set as - Hide When Inactive

I've now set it back to - Show

o_O

13. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Just Thought I Should Add...

I'm on Battery Power at the moment.
    So.. I don't know if that's anything to do with it :doubt:
    But when I first turned on the laptop - I had to manually run Live Update.... Because it hadn't run itself on Start Up :(
    And Pulse Updates had stopped - Again!
    After that second - Last Post!
    I Checked NIS 09
    Pulse Updates - 1 Hour
    I manually ran Live Update ... And 1 update was installed :rolleyes:

Strange! o_O
    Icon goes AWOL ... And Pulse Updates Stop Working - Again! :cautious:

I Think These Pulse Updates Need Keeping A Close Eye On :mad:

14. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

You can look if pulse updates were done when you click on the CPU Usage on the GUI. Sometimes it differs what you see there and what is shown in the main GUI. It seems that the GUI resets time if a somewhat big update is downloaded, pulse updates sometimes dont reset the GUI time after a reboot. After a "big" update or manual LiveUpdate pulse updates allways reset the timer.

15. poutine

poutine Registered Member

I'm starting to feel relief in the fact it lasted just one day on my sys before KIS 2009 went back on phewwwww. o_O

16. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

You don't feel and you really are not.

17. edd3800

edd3800 Registered Member

Wow had the same feeling a few days ago. I’ve been very happy with NIS 2009 and have install it on my Dad’s computer, Aunt’s computer, and recommend it to several people. A guy who works for me called and asked if I could help his girl friend with her computer, for the last 3 days she was unable to go online. Went to her house and got started on her computer. She had no AV at all. She used IE. After about 20 minutes I was able to go online. I download NIS, SuperAntispyware, and firefox. Ran NIS and it found only one item. Then I ran Super and it found 837 items. Some registry items. some files , a lot of cookies. My first thought was I may have made a big error in using NIS. As it turns out everything Super found had to do with My Web Search. I don’t really think it was a miss by Norton. I haven’t had anything get on my computer since installing NIS 2009 and Dad’s computer is clean. I did find it very surprising
    that Barbra’s computer did not have any malware on it. She said she only uses to look up some things and do online banking. I don’t know what to make of that how could she have stayed that clean? She was using windows Firewall
    Norton Support I installed NIS 2009 on my aunt’s computer. No issues at all. Three days later she was having all kinds of problem with Norton. Firewall shutdown, and some errors. She called Norton Support and they took remote control of her computer and fixed everything. I thought this was a big plus that they did this. But on the minus side, whatever was wrong took them over 3hr to fix. I asked her what they did she had no idea.

18. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

That was some adventure.

19. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I'm using NIS 2009, and except for one problem I'm having with it, I really like it.

The problem is, the full system idle time scan won't run. The quick idle time scan runs daily. The full system idle time scan supposed to run weekly. I have posted this on the Norton forum. I even phoned Norton tech support. No solutions at either place.

I can schedule a weekly full system scan the conventional way, but sure would like to get the idle time scan going.

20. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

Hi,

I have installed it on my business machine and feeling PROTECTED too.

21. osip

osip Registered Member

Apart from that autoupdates do not work on my machine I like this suite and for sure feel protected....

22. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

Wow...Thanks for the wise words on why I'm not protected :rolleyes: . I think I better switch to F-Secure 2009 now....or not :D

Cheers

23. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi edd3800 :)

You do realise... My Web Search ... Spyware! :argh:

You did the right thing installing - SAS ;)

I know from when I update SAS ... It often updates the definitions for My Web Search

I can't believe NIS still isn't able to catch that - Extremely Common Bit of Muck :mad:

Trouble Is...
    People that are new to computers - Often install My Web Search ... Not realising it's Spyware :(
    I Should Know!
    I did that daft trick on my first computer - XP :oops:
    Using NIS 06 at the time.
    It never even grumbled! :rolleyes:

24. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi Greystoke :)

Don't Worry!

An Idle - Full Scan ... Will Run Eventually :thumb:

Due to another computer problem... I've had to install NIS 09 Twice :(

Both Times - It has taken approx 10 days ... For my first Idle Full Scan to Run o_O

Both times...
    It got accidentally Interrupted :argh:
    And Both Times...
    It restarted itself - As soon as the laptop was idle again :cool:

It Gives You A Report When It's Done ;)

25. edd3800

edd3800 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.