Norton 2009 Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by s4u, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Im glad i know a lot people injoying thier products. But we got it now, you really dont like the Symantec company - thats your decision and opinion, everyone is allowed to have that :thumb: But would you please be so kind and let the Norton beta testers descuss the 09 products. We know now that you dont like it, but please.. let us who dont hate Symantec have peacefully conversations about the product we test. That really shouldnt be so difficult :rolleyes: And again... Yes we know you dont like Symantec. Got it!

2. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

you are obviously not pleased but give facts not opinion, Opinions based on facts are possibly to be viewed as more repected. To be honest my earlier reply was tongue in cheek as it's obvious you dislike Norton & in all honesty that's fine I respect that. You just sorta use way too many words to just say "I don't like Norton" to bash away in the manner you have , well, it's sorta over kill. We got your point & you did that in 17 posts, wellcome to Wilders...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  3. iwod

iwod Registered Member

i am pretty sure the underlying code and engine are pretty much the same for both cooperate and consumer version.

Previously i had always maintain Symantec AV is better then Norton AV. Now it seems is the other way around.

I tried the Norton 09, core is good... i dislike its GUI ><

4. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

I continue to beta test NIS 2009 and it is fast and light. As light on my box as any AV and/or suite I have tested- and I have tested most. If the proactive detection is good and improved, this is a real winner.

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

if one decided to test the beta version of norton ?how long can we use the beta version for or is it until final released?thanks in advance.

6. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

If I remember correctly, you will be able to test it until fall (around Sept.-Oct.), which is the timeframe for the final release.

7. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

I think that is correct. It is very polished at this point, with few bugs that I can detect. You can also visit the Symantec forum for updates on beta programs as well as others.

http://community.norton.com/norton/

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks.:thumb:

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

is it fast?

10. ambient_88

Why don't you try it for yourself? But to answer your question, it is indeed fast and light on system resources. More so than ESET NOD32 and other AV's I have tested.

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i am trying it and it is flying like a bird:D :thumb:

12. PnP

PnP Registered Member

tested from now.. so far too quickly for norton program.. very good..

13. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

How often does it update new definitions? The old Norton was lucky to update once or twice a week.

14. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

It's updating all the time. Try it out and you'll se. For the once or twice a week, you're referring to, you have to go many years back. In the "new" versions it's at least once a day.

Cheers

15. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Registered Member

As mentioned before, my only concern / hope is with its 64 bit integration. NIS2008 still has a lot of issues in this area, and the fact that my questions on the Norton forum seem to be going unanswered scares me a bit.

If I had an extra PC at home, I'd love to take it for a spin... I have Virtual PC configured, but not sure if that's an acceptable test environment for them or no...

16. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I posted my concerns about the 64 Bit version a few weeks ago. I don't understand the lack of a right click scan myself when other 64 bit AVs I have tried had it.

17. ambient_88

There's a new feature in NAV/NIS 2009 called "Pulse Update." It will stream definitions to the program as soon as they become available. Most of the time, new definitions come in every 10 minutes (of course it varies).

18. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

What wouldn't I give for an ignore button. doktornotor obviously doesn't have a clue about the Norton line of product.. VERRRRY different from the Symantec corporate line of products.

IGNORE.. CLICK.

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i think the idea of pulse update is a good idea.
    i think all av companies should use that idea.
    no more out of date av sigs unless the license expries.

20. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Indeed. But there is still a risk of releasing a wrong update, and end up with terrible false positives like the supposed Explorer.exe worm...

21. ambient_88

Streaming updates is still better than multiple daily/hourly updates, IMO. If an update goes wrong, they can distribute it as soon as they fix it.

22. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Eh, no... they aren't very different, they've been the exact same type of buggy bloatware so far... even have been using the same engine for years. As for the "quality" of their consumer-aimed stuff, it's nicely illustrated here. o_O :thumbd:

23. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

I had bad experiences myself with Norton. But this topic is about v 2009, which looks promising. We'll wait and see..

24. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I have been on the best team & I don't see it as everyone else does. IMHO this is the worst version yet. It gave me a 1st for norton a false positive that auto removed the file inquestion rather than ask. Also the Phishing feature keeps giving me an error & updates are not what one expects from a big named company. All it says is 'last up date 12 minutes ago'. My question is what date?, today?, yesterday ?, it's nice to get the last time it updated but its nicer to know what day that update was from. This product needs some work , FWIW I'm testing the suite...

25. ambient_88

It shouldn't automatically remove anything, unless you changed the settings. As for the update, "12 minutes" means just that. The latest definition you have was downloaded 12 minutes ago.

Also, you have to understand that this is a beta. Bugs are going to be there.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.