Norton 2009 Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by s4u, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Anyone know anything about the corporate version? My company is about to switch to Dr.Web which i personally think is just not good enough for business enviorment.

2. risl

risl Registered Member

Why wouldn't it be good enough? Not that I would try to convince you but just willing to know :D

3. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

The latest corporate version is Symantec Endpoint Protection (v11). As far as I know, corporate versions are not available for public testing.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i tested symantec endpoint protection as a beta.

5. ambient_88

Oh, I see. Apologies then...:)

6. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

Yes it is. Go here to try it out https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=48182

Cheers

7. 0vermind

0vermind Registered Member

What if it's sent in email or burned to cd and executed on a remote computer with no antivirus. HIPS would definitely be no help there, so it's not harmless, it can still spread.

-Mike

8. ambient_88

He was talking about a malware that has NOT been executed yet.

9. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Well is Symantec Endpoint Protection using the same new engine that Norton 2009 is using?

Regarding Dr.Web
    Different people have different needs. While i use different AV on my personal computer and Latop. My idea would be AV in business enviorment should have VERY LOW false postive. And Symantec Score very well in this area.

10. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

It would be like goin from a BMW to a Pinto. IMO :D

11. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

12. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Hahaha... Well they still don't have a working context menu on x64 with their Endpoint Protection 11 pathetic attempt either, after two major and one minor service packs - and half of the features of that "enterprise-class" suite doesn't exist on 64bit systems at all - apparently understanding 64bit stuff is something way beyond their skills. I personally won't touch any Symantec product anytime soon. Bloated, buggy, poorly tested junk.

:thumbd: :blink: :mad:

13. ambient_88

I read awhile back that corporate versions of Symantec uses a different engine than their consumer versions. I'm not sure if it's still the same today, though.

14. doktornotor

Totally horrible. Don't touch! See the SEP11 forum for the (half-censored) list of issues of this pre-beta product.

- terrible SEPM GUI written is Java, slow like hell, horribly design which is a plain PITA to work with
    - the client is a horrible resource hog, slows down even 3GHz boxes w/ 2+ gig of RAM to a crawl. Tons of complaints from users about application taking minutes to start on such boxes.
    - numerous installer bugs, uninstaller is a pathetic joke that never works, like with any other Symantec product. See this thread. As a bonus, they keep their removal tool secret since "hackers" could misuse it to kill SEP. Wow, that must be a robust product if it can't survive a bunch of .bat files... :D
    - the product keeps killing itself over and over again, had to reinstall the server part in average twice a month
    - clients stop communicating with the server out of the blue, no reason...
    - keeps eating your disk space in tens of GBs; the DB is bloating, the updates directory is bloating, when you attempt to wipe it, clients stop updating.
    - cannot delete old install packages - unsolved for over 7 months by Symantec "experts", so you can waste another hundreds of MBs of disk space with useless cruft.
    - etc. etc. etc.

After wasting days and days on this, I wouldn't touch SEP even with a 10ft pole. Avoid like plague! :mad: :thumbd: :blink: o_O

15. ambient_88

So you're saying that it's worse than Symantec Client Security?

16. doktornotor

Way worse. The management console is basically a genuine PITA to work with, stuff hidden in most obscure places, and as said - incredibly slow. The clients slowdown is so huge that people started complaining the very day they got upgraded from SCS10 to SEP11 (and SCS10 was already bloated enough, the last decent version I recall was 9).

SEP11 clearly isn't production ready even almost a year after release and basically needs a rewrite from scratch. :thumbd:

17. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Registered Member

Even worse, someone wrote on the Norton Community forums that this "feature" (I never thought of context scanning as a feature, to be honest) is not available on 64 bit Vista, and won't be for a while. I don't know their code, but adding contextual menu items wasn't difficult in any of my applications (not security related).

However, to be fair, 2008 isn't bloated - Its pretty darn fast on the machines I've used it with. 2009 is looking even better... If you use Vista 32 bit, haha.

18. doktornotor

Well, LMAO... must be because they've deleted my explanation why their context menu doesn't work (together with tens of other work-arounds for their buggy SEP product), including a pointer to MS documentation about how they need 64bit shellext DLL. In a similar way, their stupid uninstaller destroyed my remote access connection on W2K3 R2 x64 server by pointing the RasMan registry entries to %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\rastls.dll instead of %SystemRoot%\system32\rastls.dll, flooding the system log with errors about "is not a valid Win32 application" issue as an added bonus. They still don't have a SEP11 uninstall howto for x64, only for 32bit.

With similar kind of programming skills, I suspect that the software doesn't completely kill x64 Windows only by some miracle. o_O :thumbd:

19. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

This is a NIS09 beta topic.

Create a new thread if you want to discuss SEP11, thx :thumb:

20. doktornotor

Symantec's sloppy programming, poor quality of their products, infamous (a.k.a. useless) customer support and generally condescending attitude towards their customers is a relevant factor so that people can make informed decisions before buying (or even testing) their products. After all, what can you expect from a low-end product that sells for ~$50 when they are unable to fix enterprise-level solutions that people spent $$$$ on. :rolleyes:

Wrt their betas, have yet to see a working uninstaller from them after their years and years in business. Norton Removal Tool doesn't work for 2009 line and I don't want to reinstall my OS or spend another half a day wiping the leftover junk from Windows registry and fixing the leftovers that break system functionality.

Caveat emptor - Let the buyer beware, that's all I have to say about Symantec level of "support" and testing of their stuff. :thumbd: :rolleyes:

21. ambient_88

My experience with Symantec has been a pleasant one. That's why I'm quite surprised about some of the things I hear about them. That being said, I do believe that Norton 2009 will be their best consumer version yet, assuming that things go as planned.

22. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

doktornotor, it is my opinion after reading your post that you simply don't have a clue about Symantec. It sounds as if you just jumped on the band wagon of the ever dwindling group of Symantec bashers. Have you ever actually tried any symantec products? But I will agree that their support does lack a little. But they do have a symantec forum now that has helped with the support issue.
    bigc

23. doktornotor

Definitely, I've just spent a couple of years supporting the yellow plague on behalf of Symantec, and on behalf of customers who had spent $$$$$ on Symantec products. Finally, all our customers are Symantec-free, and trust me that they won't ever go back. We've used everything from SAV8 to their latest and most horrible SEP11. Every single new version meant a huge step back, more bloated, more unreliable, more sucky, less testing, worse support.

Indeed, just a little, almost there though. :p That "little" amounts to about one month of my lifetime (nett) spent with their totally useless "support" outsourced to hopeless folks from India who's only skill consists of searching their online KB for answers - which everyone has already tried before contacting this abysmal company's support and wasting hour and hours of time on phone.

Good bye, Symantec. o_O :blink: :gack: :thumbd:

24. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

but would you please clarify your position on Norton , your answers seem to be off topic...in all seriousness you need to lighten up a bit or someone will mistake you for having a closed mind...

25. doktornotor

My position on Norton is that the company deserves a class action suit; won't ever touch their products again and will do my best to discourage everyone else from doing the same. That's not a closed mind but a voice of reason, heavily backed by all the money wasted on the yellow stuff.

Wrt NIS 2009 beta, they should pay their customers to do the beta testing for them, and after that they should give it to every single customer of theirs as a free upgrade in compensation for the years of abysmal experience with the previous versions of their completely unfit for purpose products.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.