Norton 2008 released?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by midway40, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donenzone

Donenzone Registered Member

Can anyone confirm that there is a Norton Anti-Phishing toolbar for Mozilla Firefox? Because right now I don't see it (Norton Internet Security 2008 + Add-on pack), and I already contacted Symantec Support, they told me that there is not a Toolbar for Firefox :thumbd:.

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i dont use it, but there was a toolbar in firefox for the beta.

3. rhuds13

rhuds13 Registered Member

What kinds of compressed files does NIS2008 check? With Avast they show the types of archives it can check but can find nothing on types Norton can check? Maybe someone here will know. tks

4. Abeltje

Abeltje Registered Member

From what I heard so far the support is sometimes not very knowledgeable. There is definitely a anti-phishing toolbar for Firefox on my systems, I have Vista and XP 32 bit and Firefox 2.06.

When I first open Firefox after installation of NIS it asks me if I want to use Norton Anti Phishing. It's a stupid thing to do, but maybe you have a chance to install it on a clean system to rule out some conflicts with possible former installations?

Edit: Just to make sure - if you check in Firefox menu "View" - "Toolbars" you don't see it do you?

5. Donenzone

Donenzone Registered Member

No, I can't find it there either. There is absolutely no sign of the Anti Phishing toolbar in Firefox. I guess I'm going to try reinstall Firefox, and if that doesn't work, NIS2008.

edit - the reinstall of Firefox worked :)

6. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

it's on my firefox, go in firefox to view/toolbar/show norton toolbar...

7. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I have been searching Symantec's Support and I cannot find a definite answer to this. I have seen a reference to all "popular" compressed file types but it doesn't mention which ones.

There was a question about turning off scanning compressed files to increase scanning speed which Symantec said was ok because, for example, if you open up a zip file that contains a virus Auto Protect will catch it.

8. rhuds13

I'm not concerned with scan speeds. I just want best security. Best to catch a nasty during scans than wait until I open files and possibly something get through. NIS2008 seems much faster to me now than I remember from years ago.

9. The One

The One Frequent Poster

It must be there.

10. rhuds13

I find no setting for if a virus is found what to do. I like the option of just sending to chest and make sure not a FP first. Does Norton give that option? I can't find it in settings.

11. midway40

According to this, a copy of the file is placed in quarantine where it can be deleted, sent to Symantec, or restored.

Also before I did not mean to imply that you had a concern with scanning speed. I was just saying even if the compressed file format was not recognized by Norton that upon opening the archive if a virus was inside AutoProtect would catch it. Sorry I did not explain it fully.

12. midway40

Here is a screenshot of Quarantine in action. By default a copy of the "risk" is placed in Quarantine. If the file is legit, then you can click on "Restore Risk". The only setting I see as far as dealing with risks is options on what to do with "low risks" (cookies).

Attached Files:

13. rhuds13

I only mentioned scan speeds as some people may still think faster is better. Thanks for your help. Even though NIS2008 is a suite I may go ahead and use it as it seems to be working very good. Just wish had more control over various settings. But for wife this may be the way to go. With Avast I always felt secure but it shook her when ever it talked to her (I liked that):D

14. midway40

You're welcome :)

I have to admit that there seems to be less options than the previous version. This might be what they meant by this version "works more quietly in the background" than previous versions.

Lol at your wife :D When I tried Avast! I didn't know it gave verbal warnings and one night I had my 7.1 surround up when a warning went off. I nearly jumped out of my skin :D

15. Littlemutt

Littlemutt Guest

Anyone experienced any 'hard system' freezes with this release? I was using NAV 2007 but every few days my system would just hard freeze - forcing a power off to restart the system.

Then always after that I had to re-import the activation key as I would get error message about some internal problem.

After a few months of this cycle I went looking on Symantec's site and found an online 'repair' tool ( I don't recall now what it was, sorry) that would supposedly check and correct any settings in NAV.

After running the "Tool" and restarting I got a box that NAV could not be started do you want to remove the program. YIKES! Clicked 'Yes', then another restart - Disaster!

Using Vista HP, on the boot up I got warning boxes about the desktop manager files were in use and could not be accessed. I clicked the Start button - no search/menu nothing - right-click the Start button and tried to open 'explorer' - could not find file ... getting ugly quick now

I booted into Safe-mode and did a system restore prior to running the so-called 'Repair tool', and removed NAV after the rollback, never tried installing it again.

I still have about 4 months left and sorta want to try NAV 2008, but frankly I'm a bit leery as NAV 2007 never did run right due to random hard freezes. I later perhaps found it was being caused by 'LiveUpdate' but not sure. I did keep NAV up-to-date as well as Vista.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

16. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Running a trial in a VM, much lower memory use. The Corporate version is due out this month. Probably with less fluff.

17. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Is it true that Norton and NIS 2008 no longer support Thunderbird?! That is what Symantec support told a user. You are now required to use Outlook Express or Outlook. No other email client is supported.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Response (Kamesh.Para) - 09/06/2007 01:12 P
    Hello Andrew,

We welcome you back to our Symantec Online Technical Support.

Andrew, please note that, Norton AntiVirus 2008 built in such a way

that it will only support the E-mail client as follows:

· Microsoft Outlook 2000 and above

· Outlook Express - 5.01 sp2, 5.50 sp2, 6.0, 6.01 sp1

Hence, Thunderbird cannot be integrated with your Norton AntiVirus

In order to resolve this issue, I suggest you to install Microsoft

Outlook or Outlook Express.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Regards,

Kamesh Para

Symantec Authorized Technical Support

http://www.mcse.ms/message2635218.html

18. silverfox99

silverfox99 Registered Member

Does this mean that Windows Mail (Vista) is not supported by NIS2008?

19. GrailVanGogh

GrailVanGogh Registered Member

20. midway40

It does work in WM. I believe it also worked in Windows Live Mail Beta as well but I did not keep it on long enough to notice it.

21. Littlemutt

Littlemutt Guest

OK, I got brave and just installed NAV 2008 and so far so good.

I have a couple of questions:
    1. The Vista firewall is 'off' - Can this be safely turned on?
    (I had it on when I was NAV 2007, but I was getting hard system locks that I never found the root cause of, so trying to avoid that again)
    2. Windows Defender is also 'off', Any need to run it ?

Thanks

22. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

you dont need both of them turned on if you have Norton,

Norton, like a few other suites, turn them both off, as they offer ZERO extra security to what you are using.

yes, you could turn them both on, but if the suite has turned them off, i personally wouldnt do it, and you would gain nothing at all by turning them on.

23. midway40

If you have NAV 2008 I don't see no reason why you couldn't use Vista's Firewall. If you have NIS 2008 leave it off.

In NIS 2007 the installation turned WinDefender off because Symantec felt that it offered no more protection than it's own antispyware engine. But this evening I noticed that '08 did not turn it off. I disabled WD and so far it appears to have fixed the hesitation I was getting when opening web pages.

24. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

Maybe a stupid question, but how is Windows Defender really turned off in Vista? I tried it through ms config, but it still works...

25. midway40

Go into Services and disable the WinDefender process.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.