Norton 2008 LiveUpdate keeps popping up an UAC window?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by denniz, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. denniz

denniz Registered Member

Every time I login to my computer I get welcomed by LiveUpdate if I want to install available updates. After I confirm to go ahead an UAC window from Vista pops up. I just want everything to go automatic with LiveUpdate without any nagging screens I need to confirm at every reboot.

I checked my settings:

- "Turn On Automatic LiveUpdate" is activated.
    - "Notify me when updates are available" is deactivated.

Under "Start" --> "Configuration" --> "Symantec LiveUpdate" it doesn't matter if I set the setting to either interactive or express mode, in both cases at reboot I still get nagged by LiveUpdate if I want to install updates.

The weird thing is that I wasn't always nagged by this screen, it started when I was playing around with the LiveUpdate settings, I was playing around with the interactive and express settings. But even after I set everything the way it was before this nagging screen started it doesn't seem to help. The last time I had this problem I could only solve it by a complete Norton reinstall and as long as I didn't touch the default LiveUpdate settings all was good with no nagging screens.

Anyone got any ideas?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  2. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

When I was using it there was a bug with the "notify me when updates are available". Once I turned it on there was no way to turn it off. Unchecking the box had no effect. I had to end up reinstalling NIS to get rid of it.

I thought they would have fixed this bug by now.

3. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

1. Uninstall Norton Program (AV/NIS/360) and Live Update from Add/Remove Programs
    2. Run Norton Removal Tool
    3. Manually delete any Symantec folders left behind- and some are left behind even after using the Removal Tool
    4. Use CCleaner to clean registry
    5. Reinstall the program

That has worked for me without fail and it will work for you as well. :)

4. denniz

denniz Registered Member

Yes the uninstall part worked for me the last time to, but I do think uninstalling is a drastic measure for what appears to be indeed a bug. I don't quite understand why LiveUpdate needs UAC permissions though, other antivirus programs seem to have no problems updating with UAC enabled on Vista. This leads even more to the conclusion that it's a bug.

5. Bunkhouse Buck

I should have added this is for XP- not necessarily Vista. But, Live Update had been problematic for years regardless of the operating system. I had LU issues until the 2008 version of NIS as did many others. It is possible there is a bug, but I would do all of what I recommended before I drew that conclusion.

6. denniz

denniz Registered Member

Well, besides the option of a complete uninstall and then a full reinstall, I also decided to send an email to Symantec support, because I still find this behavior of LiveUpdate weird.

Here's what I emailed them:

According to the confirmation email I got, I should get a reply within the next 96 hours.

7. Bunkhouse Buck

You will likely get a response, but they will probably tell you to uninstall and reinstall- perhaps multiple times. That is their "stock" solution to most issues. Have you used the Norton Removal Tool and CCleaner? If you have not and you did not say you did, I would do that before I asked their offshore "tech support" for assistance.

8. denniz

denniz Registered Member

Yes I do have both CCleaner and Norton Removal Tool installed and also used them the first time I reinstalled Norton. But I do find it weird that it happened twice now and both times the problem started after I played with the LiveUpdate settings a bit.

About your comment that they will respond with the advice to uninstall and reinstall...... well you were right :doubt: because I already got a reply from them, I quote:

Well there are fast at replying and it seems they are willing to help, if only the "solution" they gave wasn't already known to me. ;)

9. Bunkhouse Buck

Consider that you may know more than they do. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.