Norton 2007

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by fred128, Oct 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

WEll im here to join the norton lovers!

My first experience with Norton is when i first got my computer because it came pre-installed but it was also the first thing i did because my computer was damm slow!!!!

Today i thought about installing it on my 300mb or around that cpu to see if it had improved. Same thing with me i had a terrible first install but the second one was a beauty. Everything has changed!!!! Im running the av and firewall and both are fast and nice. My ISP provided Norton products as their security suites....heres the deal http://promo.yahoo.com/rogers/yop_learnmore.html

At first when i saw this deal i was like OMG dumba** ISP but when i tried it i was amazed. All Norton needs now is to gain their rep back which will probably happen when they release Norton 360.

Everything is like automated aswell which is extremely easy for beginners.

Heres a pic of usage which you haters will say "Yeah Right"
    Firefox is representing the usage of the previous Resource Hog Norton Products :D

Attached Files:

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i still wouldnt use norton products because you cant tweak the home user versions. the home versions are for people who dont know what there doing. im happy with kaspersky:D
    i laughed for ages when my ICT tutor at college told me he used norton. he should have an av that he can tweak to his needs and not a product for the average home user.
    lodore

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

average home user?

just because you cant tweak the settings, doesnt make it average lodore.

the fact that the product is set to max when out of the box, is a good thing.

most people dont want to buy a product, install it then spend ages changing loads of settings, default should always be best.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

what im saying is its good that the default settings are max but i think it should be possible to change them if you wanted to and you simplely cant.
    unless you can show me a screen shot of the 2007 Norton with lots of tweaking options like in nod32 or kav then i think i am right. nod32 default options are very protective but you can tweak them all you like same with kaspersky.

ill be back soon im gonna play on my new full size pinball table i got for xmas=D

have you ever tryed setting f-secure to max settings?
    i mean scan all files and scan archives?
    because once i thought i will set it to max settings so i put it to scan all files and rebooted then f-secure just used 100percent cpu and wouldn't stop intill i put it back to scan certain files option.
    i guess its got to many engines and takes ages to scan all the files at startup.
    lodore

Last edited: Dec 25, 2006
  5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

~removed full quote of post just above....Bubba~

if default is maximum security, why would you want to change them?

if you want the lower security, then maybe buy kaspersky or nod so you can tweak it to a lower setting.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2006
  6. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

LOL totally agree! I like the av myself and the fact that the settings almost are maxed when installed. That means less work for me, not that the program are for beginners or avarage users.

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

~removed full quote of post just above....Bubba~

i just dont see why an av should be installed with low settings, doesnt make sense, then wasting time having to look for settings to make it high (especially with nod32), i understand people want to explore their program they have to bought a licence for, but its just not needed and is a waste of time.

bottom line is, its a security program, its a program that runs in the background, updates automatically and shouldnt even be touched really unless you want to do a full scan or it prompts for an action, i dont see the need to fiddle with settings all the time, unless you really are that bored, i tend to do more surfing on the net when bored, not play with my av program. :D

yes lodore goes on about kaspersky alot, but he likes it as do i with dr.web, but i do understand he doesnt like people giving negative comments too much, especially when comparing f-secure with kaspersky. *hehe*

they are all good and you use something you feel comfortable with, but all the comments of 'this is bad, it should be this, use this.... etc' should all be stopped, unless you are a user of CA. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2006
  8. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

LOL :D

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

kaspersky has great protection on default settings but you can tweak it to how you like just like with nod32 and dr web.
    dr web isn't full protection as default and needs a few options changed.
    I would rather be given the option than the av choose what are the best settings for me.
    does norton even have a tick box to enable and disable the detection of spyware riskware dialers?
    or does it just detect it all which means the end user could get the av to get rid of a safe program because it could be used for the wrong purpose. which also means the company who set up the computer for the person will get lots or phone calls saying there favorite messenger app get deleted by there av.
    so there is good and bad things to having max settings as default.
    so norton 2007 must eiether detect the riskware on default settings and a user might delete them by mistake and call up a computer company to sort it out or worse it dont detect them so the user dont delete them by mistake got to be one of those. but which one?

lodore

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

actually other than scan by format and scan all files, dr.web is set to the highest on default i think.

i like the fact norton is set to max after install, it makes it much easier to manage security, it truly is a 'set it and forget it' solution to antivirus, if people do not like this approach, then choose something else, but personally i think its a good thing that company as took this approach, its just all much easier.

anyway, gonna go struggle on MS flight sim X :D

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

so does it detect riskware as default and the user deletes programs they use by mistake or does it simplely put the user at risk by not detecting them?
    have fun on your game
    lodore

12. ink

ink Registered Member

I think you make comments on the product you didn't try. There is really the choice for you to detect the adware, spyware or dialers in nis 2007, and the default action to the low risks is to ignore.
    As you metinoned in kaspersky and drweb, what you change is the file type to scan right? But most of the time the recomend settings is to scan all files, less people want to change to scan specific type, they don't know. Nis is going to scan all files and take automatic action. Can you point out some important settings that you care much but can't change in NIS?

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

care to show me a screenshot of the options in nis2007?
    loore

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

there are tick boxes to select if you want it to look for dialers and all that.

but enough of this options waffle, if you want something with loads of options, go with nod32, but i think having a security solution that is set to max, is perfect for what the program is meant to do for the buyer.

its obvious you dont like norton, maybe because of the options (ie. nod style) are not there, or maybe you just dont like norton because of previous versions which maybe you didnt like, but having a lack of options is not a reason to diss a security solution, just as dissing nod32 because of all the options you have to choose before its 'up and running', people will prefer both, so just be happy there is an option for people if they dont want all the options to mess around with.

15. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I fully that there is no need to bad mouth any security app as there are quite a few of them and there should be one that will suit everyone. We are fortunate that there are that many choices.

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

its nice to have good options set as default but also have the ability to tweak.
    the main reason i dont like Norton is because symantec ruined norton when they brought out the 2003 version in 2003.
    i still dont know why people like the Norton interface.
    its just a marketing device and its yellow that is so unatracktive.
    norton will always sell well for people who dont know about secuirty who get it reccomended in pc world.
    im just stating that the interface is horrible colours and yellow could be hard to read for certain people.
    also a random thing is has the firewall options changed?
    in the older versions behind the normal interface was a firewall config menu with tons of advanced options which would throw its target audience.
    and it was quite hard to unblock a program if you clickied the block button by mistake.
    the main point is the horrible colouring of the interface and the old versions that make me never want to go back to them when there are alot better options else where.
    you have got nod32,kaspersky,antivir,drweb etc even macafee i like the 2007 version of macfee but never liked the 2006 version.

the main point is you cant judge secuirity by shiny boxes in pcworld=D
    lodore

17. G K Willington

G K Willington Registered Member

One word: compatability. Some AV's/suite's/programs will have issues with other programs. Obviously this isn't a novell or new point. Sometimes, different configurations of hardware and software just don't work together.

In these situations, it's very handy to be able to turn down certain aspects of the AV/suite so that it plays well with others instead of disabling the system/suite leaving you holding the bag.

As with anything, options are nice to have.

Neil

18. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

I'm testing NAV 2007 now and so far am very impress, i testing it on a P2 1000GHZ, 512RAM and it don't slow this comp at all, so far i love it

good job to norton this time :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.