Norton 2006 Product Launch

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by izi, Sep 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. izi

izi Registered Member

Symantec Launches Norton Internet Security 2006, Norton AntiVirus 2006 and Norton Personal Firewall 2006.

http://www.symantec.com

Norton AntiVirus 2006 Key Features
    • New! Now includes 12 months of protection updates and new product features as available throughout the year; annual subscriptions available for subsequent renewal.*
    • Automatically removes viruses, Trojan horses, and worms.
    • New! Detects and removes dangerous spyware, keystroke loggers, and other unwanted monitoring software.*
    • New! Prevents spyware programs from hijacking your home page and redirecting you to their download sites.*
    • Checks incoming and outgoing email attachments for viruses.
    • Automatically scans incoming instant message attachments for threats.
    • Checks compressed file archives for viruses.
    • Keeps dangerous Internet worms out, blocking them before they infect your system.
    • Automatically downloads updates to protect against new threats.
    • Automatically scans for viruses upon downloading updates.
    • Uses smart technology to detect emergent worms and other new threats without waiting for updates.
    • Disinfects your system prior to installation, starting you off with a clean, virus-free computer.

2. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

doe sit still slow ur computer alot and is it still bloatware and is kaspersky still better than norton?

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Hm,is it true that NAV2005 and above and Symantec Corporate 11 and above have daily updates?

4. Mack Jones

Mack Jones Registered Member

Let's see what Symantec said...
    Daily updates

Only for NAV 2006 I presume.

Warm regards,
    M.J.

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I was assuming they'll psot this as major news on main page. And the hide it somewhere on some other page digged under hundreds of documents lol. :D

6. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

You have to pay extra for a Platinum Support package to get daily Live Updates? o_O

7. izi

izi Registered Member

8. nicM

nicM nico-nico

with such a new feature, I'm not sure I would like daily updates... hopefully, there must be a way to disable that automatic daily scan !

9. groundling

groundling Registered Member

A "Key Feature" is that Windows98 and ME are no longer supported.

NAV 2006
    "Platforms:Windows® XP Home/XP Pro/2000 Pro ONLY"

If you buy it and attempt to install on 98 you get Norton 2005.
    " Includes Norton AntiVirus 2005 for Windows Me & 98 users"

Nice of them.
    Same for Norton Internet Security™ 2006, and Norton™ Personal Firewall 2006,

http://www.symantec.com/nav/nav_9xnt/

10. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

Why on earth wouldn't you like daily updates?? Everybody is screaming about the poor updates with some AV scanners.
    The only way a virusscanner is doing the proper job, is by updating the definitions, as often as possible. That makes a product strong.

And now you wouldn't be happy with it........or this another form of kicking Norton's ass?

11. unhappy_viewer

unhappy_viewer Registered Member

The feature has been there since NAV 2005. It actually doesn't make a full system scan after every update. What it does is to look for symptoms as defined by the latest downloaded definitions, such as files that the virus would have added or modified if it infected your computer. If the file doesn't exist, nothing happens. If such a file exists, it scans it like what its real-time protection feature would have done. So its hardly noticable on your system performance. Its not a foolproof way though, so you are still advised to perform a weekly system scan.

12. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Norton Internet Security 2006 costs $69.99
    http://www.symantec.com/sabu/nis/nis_pe/

This is for home/small business :
    The Fee Based Technical Phone Support costs $29.95 per incident
    The Virus Removal Phone Support costs $39.95 - $69.95 per incident
    http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/support_options.html

Alot of security softwares cost about $29.95 or lesser (CounterSpy costs only $19.95)
    If you have only one serious incident you double paid your NIS 2006 : $69.99 + $69.95 = $139.94
    For each incident you can buy any other security software upto $69.95, sometimes two softwares.

Don't you think there is something wrong with the prizes of Symantec ?

13. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Thanks izi. I didn't see that. Good to see that NAV is offering daily updates now.

14. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

I will be very curious to test it out when the trial is there... I'm not such a big Norton fan, however I really hope they keep on improving the detecion and efficience of their products.
    Why? Well a major amount of the computer users use Norton, and if this Norton does good, there will be less spread of viruses around the world right :)

15. nicM

nicM nico-nico

...OK, :) , thanks for the info, unhappy viewer, I didn't understand it that way ( did understand a system scan upon updates, which does make sense for weekly updates, but not anymore with daily updates ). Didn't know that as I've never used the 2005 release. That mistake was the only cause of my comment about theses daily updates, so I just should have thought twice about it

...and neither is it another form of kicking norton's ass ! I've already expressed what is my opinion about it https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=97271 :D

16. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

This is really funny,
    i found this story dated: 28.09.2005 14:32

---------
    Vorgestern haben wir noch darüber berichtet , dass Symantec die Norton-Produkte Antivirus 2006 und Internet Security 2006 in diesem Jahr später herausbringt als sonst - und damit deutlicht später dran ist als die Konkurrenz. Jetzt versucht Konkurrent G-Data Kapital aus der Panne zu schlagen.

Jeder Norton-Kunde, der bis zum 31.10.2005 (Poststempel) ein Softwarepaket "Norton Antivirus 2005" oder "Norton Internet Security 2005" zusammen mit einem Kaufbeleg vom Oktober 2004 einschickt, erhält kostenlos eine Vollversion "G Data Antiviren-Kit 2006" bzw. “G-Data Internet Security 2006".

"Wir helfen den Betroffenen gerne aus ihrer misslichen Notlage“, kommentiert das Unternehmen süffisant. Die Kunden sollen die Pakete mitsamt Ihrer Mail- und Postadresse einsenden an: G DATA Software AG, Aktion: Norton in Not, Königsallee 178b, 44799 Bochum.

G-Data hatte in der Vergangenheit schon öfter für spektakuläre Aktionen gesorgt. Unter anderem hatte das Bochumer Unternehmen auf der Cebit eine CD-ROM mit dem “Norton Uninstaller“ kostenlos an die Besucher verteilt, um die rückstandslose De-Installation des Konkurrenzprodukts zu ermöglichen und damit den Anwendern den Umstieg zu erleichtern.

-------

Free translation, because of the fact that Symantec can't release the new version in time, G-data helps them:

And:
    Every Norton customer that sends in Norton Antivirus 2005 together with their receipt/invoice dated Oktober 2005 to G-data
    Gets a free version of their product “G-Data Internet Security 2006".

Because those customers can't get updates for a while,
    because the release is to late.

And if they are not 2000 or XP users, they have to shop for another product anyway.

For the record, i have never tested G-data and have no idea if it can be compared with NOD32 Kaspersky, Sophos etc.

17. Get

Get Guest

Wrong? Let's see... you make an AV that's a bestseller and therefor used by a lot of people who don't know much about cleaning their pc themselves when it's infected and you offer them support by phone for a lot of money...some people will think, as they are not knowledgeable in the field, ..."well it must be really hard to get the job done given the price that's being asked for it".. and they'll pay. If only a small percentage of buyers think like that it would be a great deal for Symantec. But your question was ...is it wrong?.. Of course it's wrong. As wrong as making an inferior AV and naming it "the world's most trusted antivirus software". Misleading is the name, making money the game.

18. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

As a reseller NO , because from all the virusscanners i can resell,

SYMANTEC Norton Antivirus gives resellers the most profit per sold item.

From an end-user point of view:

Norton was founded by Peter Norton a genius computer/software pioneer.
    When the name SYMANTEC was added before the productname
    it looks as if it is taken over by a large investment company
    that don't care what product to buy but only look at it , from how can i make the most profit point of view.

That is why it most profitable product for resellers and
    has the worst support in the field.

Compare the support with Nod32 , Kaspersky etc.

Perhaps i must add it to my website, and make more money.
    but on the other hand, i have lots of (ex- and ) Norton customers complaining
    because their AV was disabled by malware (without knowing this).
    so ... i better don't add it.

;)

19. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Hilarious, a real side splitter. :rolleyes: Other Av companies have done similar deals in the past.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2005
  20. The Hammer

Your right. It wouldn't be ethical. :rolleyes:

21. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Get and Tuatara,
    Thanks for your comments. I'm an end-user, not a reseller and it wasn't really a question.
    I just wanted to say how ridiculous high these phone support prizes are and I prove it with the approperiate links.
    Just a little warning for those who are planning to buy NIS 2006 and can't really afford to pay such prizes afterwards.
    If some end-users like to pay these prizes, no problem for me. It's not my wallet.

Symantec's Free Technical Support with their "Automated Support Assistant" is almost inhuman.
    I tried it only one time, I didn't even finish my request. A real pain in the b*tt.

22. The Hammer

Agreed. The cost of support can be an important factor in choosing an antivirus product.

23. Get

Get Guest

I knew that, but felt the need to react :).

24. controler

controler Guest

Normaly our members would advice people to come here for support on many
    subjects.
    IN this case, The poor people that are faced with paying alot for support can not come here because there is too many Norton haters here, Or has that changed in the last year?

controler

25. Get

Get Guest

I don't see why someone using Norton and having trouble with something can't ask for help here. The only thing is that maybe someone could tell him/her to change AV, but that's just advice. So there you have it...also for Norton users there's help and advice on Wilders :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.