Norton 2005: does it draw more resources?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by SteelyDon, Apr 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteelyDon

SteelyDon Registered Member

Does anyone know if Norton IS 2005 uses more resources than previous versions? Thanks

2. Sandish

Sandish Registered Member

Yes, it´s hard to believe, but after months of hard work, symantec finally made it. The latest version reached the goal of all previous versions - dragging down even the fastest systems and as an extra they made it almost impossible to uninstall. ;-)

3. abhi_mittal

abhi_mittal Registered Member

Well, I trialled Norton AV 2005 some time back on my 256 MB RAM PC. The memory usage was almost 90% and the total number of processes were around 40.
    When I trialled Bitdefender, Avast Pro & Antivir PE, the memory usage was at 60% with only 29-31 processes.

Norton doesnt live upto its name!

Abhishek

4. Alec

Alec Registered Member

I don't know how Symantec does it, but they can always seem to find an excuse to add another service or yet one more background process. Here is a partial screenshot from a friends computer with Norton Internet Security 2005. What is that... let's see... around 8 services and 2 autostart background processes? Sheesh.

Attached Files:

5. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

yes it seems with every release they find something else to keep adding on!!
    do they have a good av, maybe and a good firewall , ummm well maybe but they reaaly need to rethink there program. im sure they loose customers all the time because of this. but then again they will just advertise more and make up the difference.

6. iwod

iwod Registered Member

I hope their Symantect AV 10 will clean things up. Looking at their recent test in Av comparative, they are surely making changes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.