Norton 2002 LiveUpdate question......

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Telstar, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Telstar

Telstar Registered Member

Hi,

Re: NortonAV 2002 v8.07.17C

>My subscription is current so, no problem there.

>I always have Automatic LiveUpdate Enabled.

>I always have Auto-Protect, etc ON.

BUT.....

>I frequently will check LiveUpdate Express (click on button on top next to Options) and it will do a new Definition search and occasionally find a new Definition (as occurred a few minutes ago...a 131.5KB new Definition download)

So, my question is obvious. Why didn't Norton automatically download the new Definition (or those past Definitions) saving me from doing it manuallyo_O

Note: my computer is ON and connected to the Internet all the time.

Thank you,
    Telstar (Puzzled o_O)

2. mr.mark

mr.mark Guest

is there an interval setting, or frequency of update checking?

i have run NAV for almost seven years, but i have never wanted the auto update feature to be enabled, so i am only guessing that there may be a setting for how often it checks

if there is, perhaps you need it to check more frequently

good luck

:)

mark

3. AplusWebMaster

AplusWebMaster Registered Member

Hello Telstar...this is an "ugly" answer, but it's straight from Symantec:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/976049eae0f79c7e88256b9f0064a0c3/307a18dca14d6c75852569af006a3a70?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam
    "Because of the security restrictions of Windows NT/2000/XP, a user account cannot run LiveUpdate or Automatic LiveUpdate. You must be logged in using a computer administrator account, or part of the Administrator group...."

..but nobody here would advise you to run on the Web in "admin" mode (I think -not certain- that you can use the "Run As administrator" to run LiveUpdate while logged in as a lesser user - check the shortcut properties)...but "That's the way it is..." as Walter Cronkite used to say.

Best regards,

4. Telstar

Hi Aplus,

Your link to the Symantec bulletin explained it very well I think:
    Symantec:
    A HA!!!
    You must be logged in using a computer administrator account, or part of the Administrator group.
    As it happens I DO have multiple user accounts. So, this makes perfect sense. If my "alter ego" is logged in and not myself, the Administrator, LiveUpdate will not function.

Pretty sure that must be the answer.

Thanks much,
    Telstar :)

5. Telstar

POSSIBLE SOLUTION FOUND!!

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Scheduled Tasks.

I went there and saw that my weekly Norton scan was correctly scheduled and then went to the Scheduled Task Wizard and in the Norton LiveUpdate area NOTHING WAS CHECKED (Daily - Weekly - Monthly - etc).

The Scheduled Task Wizard took me through scheduling LiveUpdate daily. So, if all goes well, that was the solution. I'll know after a while when I see that the Updates are then downloaded automatically.

Thanks much for your help,
    Telstar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.