Normal On-line Banking & Shopping

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by hashed, May 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hashed

hashed Registered Member

Hi Fellow Privacy Advocates:

I am curious, how do you handle your web access when you want to access say on-line shopping, or your "other" on-line money related sites? My main purpose in life for using a VPN was to obfuscate what my ISP can see when they start using this invasive DEEP packet inspection. So, I have used my current VPN provider to access those sites. But then I started thinking, most of those sites are secure anyway (I force https like most on this forum do), where available, so it got me to thinking, do I really need to use the VPN for that? Anytime I am surfing Wilders etc, I am either using VPN, or TOR or JoDoNym etc. Pretty much like Paulie has stated, I don't do anything exciting online; but I also believe that I have the right to a certain level of annonmyity and privacy, where technology can assist with that. I try to avoid getting into that cliche "If I don't have anything to hide, why bother". I have seen first hand where the best intentioned people have had that comment backfire in their face. So anyway, back to the topic at hand, what approaches do you take? I have been reading and learning a LOT about how people go about some of their activities, but I haven't thus far been able to find out much on this subject? Lately, I have been thinking that I should do my https banking/shopping etc in a dedicated secure VM environment. I will continue to look for information on this subject, but welcome your feedback, comments and advice.

Thanks,

~h

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Yes, Wilders already has sufficient "feedback, comments and advice". No need of looking elsewhere or of starting a new thread for that matter ;)

3. hashed

hashed Registered Member

Perhaps on certain subjects, but I haven't found much on the items related to normal daily activities (banking, shopping etc)..mostly on how to be anonymous, which of course you aren't going to be able to be, the minute you logon to a bank or credit card co, online vendor, etc; they know who I am. Maybe the best approach is to NOT do any of the above; but, that isn't an option I am quite ready to give up..at least not yet!

I try to always do comprehensive surfing before opening a new topic, so I shall continue to search..

Thx,

~h

4. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

If it's tied to my IRL identity, I try to go direct for HTTPS sites such as banking. Even though it's HTTPS, I'd feel uncomfortable using Tor. If I absolutely had to bank while at Starbuck's etc... I don't mind going through my VPN provider, but I also have an HTTP/HTTPS proxy set up on my home server, and I can bounce off that using Hamachi or NeoRouter...or just do it through a TeamViewer session.

PD

5. hashed

hashed Registered Member

Thanks PD :)

~h

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

It depends on where you're connecting from. If you're using Open WiFi then you will still want the VPN to protect the wireless hop. I also use two factor authentication with my bank - they send a one time text code to use in conjunction with my password - to protect against the possibility of stolen credentials.

7. hashed

hashed Registered Member

Same here, that seems to be pretty standard fare these days. What I am having more of a dilemma over though is say doing web shopping; up until the point that I move to the cart, my traffic is likely going to be HTTP only and hence sniffable. Again, I am a privacy nut, so I would like to keep my shopping my business and no one elses (where possible of course). I am starting to think, maybe aother VPN within a Vbox that isn't my regular VPN. Thoughts on that approach?

~h

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.