Normal mode impossible but USB backup

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by gkolar, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gkolar

gkolar Registered Member

Here's what I posted to the intowindows.com website:

Version 0.6.0005 beta with Windows XP SP3
    I'm using this in Windows XP. First the screen shots do not look like what is posted on this site. The real problem (like the gentlemen earlier) is no matter what I select, I get "Incorrect Source of Windows files" What I am really trying to use is a Paragon set of files that would have been used to create a backup CD that doesn't work on my laptop. So I am directing the Windows source path to a directory that includes boot folder, sources folder and bootmgr. ISO file is not visible in this program ( unlike the tutorial shows ). Since that didn't work, I attempted to direct toward C:\WINDOWS (I do not have Windows XP DVD). Any help here?

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

I believe you need to point it at the iso you made.

3. gkolar

gkolar Registered Member

It doesn't see it. When I open the folder that contains the iso from within WinToFlash, none is visible. And the difference between what seems to be the XP look vs the W7 look (I'm guessing), there is no "PE files source path:" in what I am using. See screen shot.

Attached Files:

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Ihave never used the app. before as it is easy from Vista/7 to use the command line to do it - I don't think it's easy from XP command line.

Just looked at WinToFlash. Try this :

Click the Tasks Tab.

In the dropdown , select Transfer winpe Vista/2008/7

novicorp2-2010-05-06_031132.jpg

Then click the RUN button at the bottom of that screen.

On the next screen Click the top select button and browse to the folder containing boot, sources and bootmgr.

Then click the bottom select button and browse to the usb drive.

novicorp4-2010-05-06_032200.jpg

5. gkolar

gkolar Registered Member

Thanks for looking into it. The XP run of this program gives me basically the same window that you see in my screen shot (background, transparent window). I select the folder you suggest and the flash drive and I get the error "Incorrect source of Windows files"

Don't know the cause. FYI, while your tab was Task, mine was Advanced mode. Also, it might be noteworthy that the W7 version (I assume) has "PE file source path" while the XP version says "Vista setup files path:" Have you tried to select appropriate files and see if it begins the process?

I think I'll throw a family-friendly party if I ever tackle this issue. Thanks for sticking in with me. It's been more complex than I ever imagined.

6. gkolar

gkolar Registered Member

7. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

That's weird - don't you get this as the first thing you see when start the program - the task tab is right there at the top?

novicorptask-2010-05-06_041618.jpg

Click the TASK TAB - DO NOT click the windows setup transfer wizard in the centre.

If you have the newer version - that tab says ADVANCED.

The options are exactly the same:

novicorpadvtab-2010-05-06_044417.jpg

I think you selected the wrong option - don't select "Transfer Vista/2008/7 setup to usb" . You don't have the setup files, that's why you get the incorrect source message.

select "Transfer Winpe Vista/2008/7 to usb"

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  8. gkolar

gkolar Registered Member

They just are not the same. Here's my opening window.

I might have a solution from a friend who will take the hard drives and copy the failing one to the new one. This will work as long as the failing hard drive keeps on kicking through the 40 GB of copying. Fingers crossed.

Attached Files:

9. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

LOL.

The options are the same - you needed to click the TAB that says Advanced Mode. Then you will get exactly the same as my second screenshot in my previous post.

Good luck with getting the drive copied - hope it holds out long enough.

Let us know how it goes.

10. Fireboss

Fireboss Registered Member

I used your tool to create the iso and burn to disk and when I tested the disk I got all the way to the Win 7 screen then I got the following error in a dos window.
    "A winpeshl.ini file is present but no commands were successfully launched. This could be caused by incorrect formatting or an invalid executable name."

When your script was working I got a quick error says file efi missing or not found then the procedure went ahead.
    I have no idea what is going on and would really appreciate your help. o_O

11. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi Fireboss,

Efi is missing is fine - it's not in the recovery cd ( assuming that's what you used ), it's also not necessary.

I just downloaded it and ran http://cid-b0a22789320e3247.skydrive...ecreatorV3.zip - it booted up perfectly.

I can only assume some of the files were moved /damaged . The .cmd is expecting everything to be in exactly the same place as they were extracted to.

Check in the "bin" folder - there is another folder called sys32fol - in there is winpeshl.ini.

Open winpeshl.ini with notepad, it should read:

Also check in bin\sources\BSExplorer folder - inside there is Explorer.exe.

Hope it helps.

12. Fireboss

Howdy
    o_O I ran this several times trying to figure out the issue and finally left the room screaming. The boot get sto a nice windows 7 background screen with a cmd window open. The window displays the error message and execution stops. I poked around the system folders and everything appears to be there.

The ini files reads as you said:
    [LaunchApp]
    AppPath="%SystemDrive%\sources\BSExplorer\Explorer.exe"

The Log file follows:

Info Windows PE Shell beginning execution
    Info Beginning PNP initialization.
    Info Winpeshl.ini detected.
    Warning Failed to launch (null) [X:\sources\BSExplorer\Explorer.exe] [0x80070134]
    Info Succeeded launching X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe [X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /k "echo A winpeshl.ini file is present, but no commands were successfully launched. This could be caused by incorrect formatting or an invalid executable name. Please consult the documentation for more information.
    "]
    Info PNP initialization succeeded.
    Info PNP Initialization thread terminating.

I searched back to the X:\sources\BSExplorer\ directory and explorer.exe was there. I saw no reason why it would not work.

Of course it wouldn't execute because "a subsystem required (I assume windows shell) is missing".

I eventually took the client the computer an dpromised a recovery disk soon. I haven't tried this on my other windows 7 machine yet. It will be the weekend before I get the time to set my machine up to do this and see what works.

13. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

BSExplorer is the shell.

You need to use the the 32 bit win7 recovery cd/installation disc as the base. It won't work in the 64 bit winpe due to syswow limitation. That's probably what the "required subsystem missing" message indicates.

For future ref:

You can use the free http://www.7-zip.org/ as a quick way to see what's inside a wim. It can also also be used to extract ( copy out ) any files. Sadly, it's read only so can't be used to inject anything.

7-ZIP-2010-05-14_005535.jpg

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  14. Fireboss

Ah I missed the 32 bit limitation. I'll download that and rescue disk and try it.
    Thanks
    :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.