normal bootdisk mode crashing

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Trancer, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trancer

Trancer Registered Member

hi

I've been reading how to create a dvd image to restore a laptop. What I don't understand is how can I achieve the restore if the trueimage bootdisk software doesnt even list the dvd drive as exsisting! Maybe im doing something wrong here... any light shed on this would be great.

I have to choose safemode for the bootdisk as the trueimage bootdisk crashes if i choose full version boot mode an eggtimer appears which just freezes and the background remains black... how can I over come this? Any things I should try to stop the crashing? Ive disable as much stuff as the BIOS will let me, but the laptop BIOS is so plain. What else can I try?

Edit: Im running around in circles here, I have been for weeks. Using different software and getting more and more tired. Because this is a laptop I can't install another drive like i can with a desktop. I don't have the means to. I've used a DOS program to copy the .tib file to the C: drive but TI is telling me it can't restore because "the image archieve file is on the same harddrive that you are going to restore" lol. I have no other drives to use! Such a simple task I want to do. Simpley transfer one laptop harddrive image to another that is formated, can't believe there is no software which will do it.

Any help would be great, Thanks

Last edited: Jun 21, 2005
  2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

A couple of options, both involve the use of an external usb enclosure.

1. Get an ext. usb2 enclosure, put a hard drive in it, copy the image to the hard drive and restore from the ext. HD. You will need another system to copy the image to the HD from the DVD.

2. Put a DVD burner in an ext. encl. and restore from the DVD.

The first is preferable since you may run into issues with the external DVD burner. AND with large hard drives so cheap now, you will find other uses for it. Or you can actually do both. I have an ext. enclosure where I switch out the HD for the DVD burner as necessary - very useful to have.

3. Trancer

hi thanks for the reply

Doesn't booting in safe mode with the bootCD disable USB support?

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Trancer,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note, that the Safe version of the bootable image contains a bootable image based on DOS and only supports devices that have direct BIOS support such as floppy disk drives, CD-ROM drives, DVD drives and IDE hard disk drives.

You can create the image to the DVD drives and restore the image from it. Please also clarify your problem with the full version of Acronis Bootable CD. When you try to boot from it your computer freezes, am I correct? Do you try the "acpi=off noapic" workaround? Please try it and then if the problem remains please create sysinfo.txt file and send to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread (please see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317 for the detailed instructions). We will certainly help you with the solution.

Please also note, that if you want to create an image on the same disk (partition), we recommend you to store an image in the Acronis Secure Zone.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

5. Trancer

hiya.. the acpi fix worked! many thanks, I should of checked that sticky topic first :oops:.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Trancer,

I am glad to hear the workaround helped you. If you have any questions concerning our software, please feel free to ask us.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.