Noobish question about getting drivers for Ubuntu

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by vei9, Mar 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vei9

vei9 Registered Member

Ok, I feel really really dumb for asking this, and I'm sure it's a no brainer.... But I just gotta ask!

I'm trying to install Ubuntu and the wireless doesn't work. (Among other things) OK, so I assume the problem is the absence of Linux drivers for the network card. (This is the most common troubleshooting answer I have seen online, anyway.)

So can I download the drivers from the website using my Windows OS and then expect it to work when I run Ubuntu?? o_O I'm guessing the answer is no, but short of burning the appropriate files to CD (which would be a huge pain in the butt), I can't think of another option, because I can't get online with Ubuntu.

Thx guys.

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

To install wireless drivers for a Broadcom/Atheros wireless card, you have to connect your PC/laptop to your Ethernet connection first - you must have a working Internet connection to download and install the required drivers. Once you download and complete installation, reboot your PC/laptop and then the wireless driver should be activated and up and working. You may need to manually input and save your network information to complete a wireless Internet connection.

There is seldom a need to download and install a Windows driver with ndiswrapper these days since nearly all PCs, laptops and netbooks will have a Broadcom/Atheros wireless card installed, which work with nearly all known Linux distributions.

3. vei9

vei9 Registered Member

That's great, so I wouldn't need to be running Linux while I download the driver? And so once it's downloaded, it will operate in Ubuntu?

TY!

4. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Boot into Linux - for example, your Ubuntu desktop. I presume you have your Ethernet cable plugged in. If you have a Broadcom/Atheros wireless card onboard, the hardware driver applet on the Ubuntu desktop should pop up, detect the presence of the wireless card and notify you to download and install the wireless driver.

When that completes, it will ask you to reboot Ubuntu to activate the wireless driver. Then it should automatically connect to your network, if you already saved your network connection information before you rebooted Ubuntu or you will have to input that connection information and save it after you reboot to complete your network connection. Once your wireless connection is active, you may then safely disconnect your Ethernet cable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.