non technical description of Consolidation process

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by superdoug3, Aug 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superdoug3

superdoug3 Registered Member

I have searched Knowledge Base, Forums, Acronis Help and I am STILL not sure what Consolidation will look like physically. I can wait for a couple of weeks and view the results of my consolidation or is there a non-technical description of what Consolidation will leave me as far as data goes.
    Also is "consolidation" very accurate, for example how does it handle renaming of a file I presume both files will remain around.

My example
    I have a Folder called DAILY which has 7 increments followed by a "consolidation". On day 9 (the one extra needed to trigger) will I be left with 1 consolidated file ready to start the incrementation process again at increment #1. Is there a way to keep multiple versions of the consolidated file or do I have to have a folder for WEEKLY and MONTHLY. That is, for a file called "user docs" in the DAILY folder will I only have at the most 7 files if I set my consolidation at 7 increments. My veiw is that with consolidation set at 7, I will have 8 increments, then the next day I will have just 1 consolidated file with no increments. The user manual seems to indicated that I will always have 7 increments, it talks about slices and that is good for those in the know, but not for me.

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Consolidation will combine images 1 ..... 9 into image 1a and then perform the scheduled task.

So if the original sequence is:

Orig FULL
    Orig inc2,inc3,inc4,inc5,inc6,inc7,inc8

Orig Inc9 is next so , FULL + inc2...8 become

Orig FULL_1 and then inc9 is imaged as inc_1(1)

3. superdoug3

almost complete clear as usual Colin. Just one question,
    in your example would I be left with
    FULL and FULL_1 and FULL_1(+) i.e the Original FULL and a new FULL_1 and the new increment to FULL_1 this would imply that I do not need both a DAILY and a WEEKLY folder as FULL and FULL_1 become my weeklys

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

As I reread my post, I knew exactly which bit I'd left out :)

The orginal FULL and inc's are deleted and replaced by the FULL_1 and inc_1(1).

5. superdoug3

Colin, thank you so much, I can finish off my backup plan now

6. superdoug3

RESOLVED

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.