non techie newbie needing assistant before buying True Image 11

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by DMitch, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DMitch

DMitch Registered Member

while waiting to talk to someone from Acronis (livechat) 10mins & waiting.

Here goes...my dell latitude D820 HD I think is going bad. Dell sent a new one w/image on it since the HD is ONLY 4mos. old!

I have business applications I need on new hard drive. Am I correct that if I get this software I can get the new HD to be exactly the same as the old HD...including all my business apps?:doubt:

Next, I don't have much time to go thru all reading materials and quite honestly, most of it won't make much since to a non techie like me.

I just want my new hard drive to be exactly like the old HD w/simple instructions for a "simple man"...can anyone help...thanks!!!!

DMitch

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

If you want to be able to make the new HD just like your old one by using True Image, you will need a way to hook up the new drive e.g. a usb enclosure. Then there are a few ways to go about getting your new drive just like the old one.

One way is Cloning using True Image - this is the most direct way. Once you use the Cloning feature then you simply remove the old drive, put the new one in its place and you're good to go .... hopefully.

Another way is to first make a Backup Image of the old drive and store it temporarily on the new drive (but again you have to have a usb enclosure). You also have to make the bootable True Image Rescue CD, which, when you boot with it, will have the basic Backup, Recovery, and Clone features of True Image.

After you make the Image, copy the Image from the new drive to the old drive (this assumes there is enough space on the old one to do so), then swap the drives around.

Next boot with the Rescue CD and use the Recover feature to restore the Image to the new drive.

3. DMitch

DMitch Registered Member

Thanks DwnNdrty for answering my question and coming to assist another
    Floridian!
    Seems simple even for me. With TI 11 I think I will purchase the TI 11...w/this program is "cloning" & "imaging" the same thing?

Also, would like your advise on this. I guess I am trying to do a little preventive maintenance. My laptop's HD is beginning to make a little noise (now & then). The noise sounds something like a "scratching" noise...only about a 1/2 second and mostly happens going from one app. to another and going from one webpage to another. other than that, everthing works fine.

My delima...should I replace this HD now before it crashes (not sure if it will, that little noise scares me) or should I go w/the thought...if it ain't broke don't fix it!? What would be your advice? Again thanks!

4. DwnNdrty

Cloning and Imaging are different. When you clone a drive, the cloned drive is immediately able to function exactly like the old drive when put in place of the old drive.

When you Image a drive, the Image has to undergo the Recovery process, usually to another drive, before that drive will become like the original.

As for the noise you're hearing, if you value the data you have on your drive, I wouldn't wait ... even laptop drives are relatively cheap nowadays ... I would change out the drive asap.

Look at www.meritline.com for usb enclosures for laptop drives. I've bought several items from them including such enclosures.

5. DwnNdrty

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.