Non Standard File Systems

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Pantner, Aug 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pantner

Pantner Registered Member

Is it possible to get ATI to image across a HDD that does not have an NTFS or FAT32 file systemo_O

I have a Netgear SC101 SAN device, which uses a special file system.

http://www.netgear.com.au/products/prod_details.asp?prodID=648

One of my HDDs in it has started to die, and i want to recover the data off it. it actually causes the SC101 to freeze when the HDD is inside it, so i was hoping to use Acronis to transfer everything to a new HDD/TIB file.

Because it doesn't use a normal FileSystem WinXP can't see it properly and netgear say there is no way to do it...

Can acronis do it for meo_O (i have had success using acronis with similar problems with HDDs with NTFS file systems...)

Thanks!

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

It is my understanding that if TI can't recognize the file system it will make an image of the entire partition, not just the in-use sectors. You may have to use the Rescue CD to do this perhaps, I really don't know and I have never tried to image anything other than FAT32 or NTFS.

3. Pantner

Pantner Registered Member

nope, doesn't work...

it doesn't detect that there is a partition on the HDD so it won't allow me to copy it...even tried ghost too, no go :(

any ways to force it to copyo_O

i remember seeing you guys tell people to press F10 as acronis loads, and it boots to linux...maybe a command line from that terminalo_O

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Pantner,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that, as seekforever has already mentioned above, Acronis True Image has a special sector-by-sector support for backing hard drives and\or partitions having corrupted or non-supported file system. In case of corrupted or non-supported file system, Acronis True Image creates a so-called raw sector-by-sector image including every sector of the backed up disk\partition. Please see this previous thread for further details.

It is quite strange that the program fails to detect any partitions on the hard drive that you want to backup. The most probable reason for this is that besides of the non-supported file system this hard disk has some kind of a non-standard partition structure such as unusual partition table for example.

First of all, please make sure that you use the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home which is available for downloading in the Product Updates section of your account at Acronis web site.

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

To get access to updates you should create an account then log in and use your serial number to register the software.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 3677.

Note that you should create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update.

If the problem still persists with the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home then please also try to backup the hard drive in question when your computer is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home.

If that does not help either and the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home is unable to detect any partitions on this hard drive both when it is running from under Windows and when your computer is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home then please also check if Acronis True Image is capable of detecting this hard drive itself. To do so please see if at least the hard drive's name (usually it is disk1, disk2, etc.) is shown on the corresponding screen of the Create Backup Wizard. If yes, then you can also try creating an image of the entire hard drive or cloning this entire hard drive to another disk (please see Acronis True Image 9.0 Home User's Guide for details).

If nothing of the above helps then please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please keep the hard drive in question connected and powered on while creating Acronis Report and Windows System Information.

Then please submit a request for technical support. Provide the files and information collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and find out if it is possible to backup this hard drive at all.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.