Noise While Booting

Discussion in 'hardware' started by WilliamP, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I have Windows 7 64 bit system. As the computer is in the process of getting to the desktop there is a little sound like (ber-donk). It only makes that sound once and only during boot. How can I find out what it is?

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

One beep during the boot is ok. This means bios check passes fine.
    Mrk

3. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

If it is a "beep". "Ber-donk" does not "sound" like a "beep" to me, and certainly not one beep.

You need to determine exactly where the sound is coming from. Beep codes are generated by the BIOS during POST (power-on self test) and reproduced through an internal speaker. The sound does NOT come through your normal computer speakers. Internal speakers (IF your computer has one) are typically surface mounted on the motherboard, or there is a small speaker on the case connected to the motherboard's front panel I/O header.

Was this sound always there, or did it just start? Does it "sound" like a sound coming from a speaker, or a mechanical sound from something hitting against something else? You may need to stick your head in to the side of the open computer to pin point the sound's source.

Does the computer work fine otherwise? Is all your RAM recognized? Performance otherwise normal?

4. WilliamP

It was suggested to me that it could be a USB coming on. I do have a wireless mouse and keyboard connected. So that is the sound.

5. Bill_Bright

Then the sound is coming from your computer speakers, and not from within the computer case, right? That should be verifiable by adjusting the speaker volume during boot.

6. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Could Ber-donk be the default Windows error sound perhaps?

7. Bill_Bright

It could, but we really need to know where the sound is emanating from first.

We also need WilliamP to answer all the other questions asked too.

8. WilliamP

I will answer the questions. First of all it is my wife's computer and she is usually on it. I will determine if the noise is coming out of the speakers. I will let you know. Ok ,the noise is coming out of the speakers. It may have been there the whole time. Most of the time if I use her computer I turn the speakers way down.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  9. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Well at least you get a ber-donk. Ever since i uninstalled the standalone audio card and use the integrated one, i get 1 second of static noise from the speakers everytime i shut down the PC and sometimes when i reboot. After a format and clean install and new drivers made no difference, i made peace with it and ignore it. It's prolly hardware related.

I WISH i had ber-donk! :D

10. WilliamP

Maybe re-install the audio card?

11. Bill_Bright

Then it is likely as you initially suggested - one of your USB devices being recognized.

12. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I'd turn off all sound. Then boot a few cycles. If the ber-donk sound is still audible I surmise its not a sound/audio card problem. And start looking at other hardware as the culprit.

13. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Or maybe it "discovered" a new device? :)

14. Bill_Bright

Be careful you are not confusing WilliamP's problem with Fuzzfas'. This is WilliamP's thread and it is clear his sound/audio card works since he reported the sound is coming from the speakers.

15. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Good God! not one of you has suggested the most simple of solutions :cautious: Go to control panel and Hardware and Sound, and run through the default Windows sounds til you get the right one, or closest to it, then you know what it is :shifty:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.