nod32's ability to clean viruses?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by mattc, Dec 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattc

mattc Guest

I am currently using mcafee v10 (2006). Previously used NAV. It is working fine. I am interested in nod32. My understanding is that mcafee has an "autocleaning" feature when it discovers viruses. Some articles I've read indicate that the autocleaning may in fact delete necessary files, which may render the operating system unusable.

At the same time I read in an article (I believe PC World) dtd 2002-3 that in a test including nod32, that it too, when cleaning a virus, deleted some critical files. In that article only bitdefender at the time safely removed the virus without causing any collateral damage.

What control does a user with the current nod32 have once a virus, trojan, etc. is discovered? And more importantly, any experience with how safely nod32 actually performed the cleaning operation?

I am asking this because yesterday I happened to read a post at a mcaffee help site where a user was inquiring as to how to disable or change the autoclean. The response was that at present it only works in autoclean mode. It seems up until a few versions ago, Mcafee had options re: what actions to perform when a virus was found. Had I known that when I purchased it, I probably would have considered something that offers better control.

Thanks.

2. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Gold star for doing some research. However, in the world of technology, referring to 2-3 year old articles means that you are referring to previous product generations... on average you see a new generation of product every 9-12 months. Sometimes shorter. Each generation means some pretty major changes in most cases, so the current generation could be completely different from the previous.

Generally, all AV apps allow you to set default actions on how to handle a infected file... including NOD32.
    - First attempt you can either automatically Clean, Delete, Ignore, Rename or have the AV ask you what you would like to do out of the options mentioned.
    - Some files can't be cleaned on the first attempt, from there you can set the AV to ask you what you would like to do, or automatically Delete, Ignore or Rename.

Even then, sometimes that won't remove the baddie... so many/most AV companies also offer downloadable cleaning tools to remove specific threats.

Personal experience with NOD32... only had to clean 2 files... ended up deleting one, other was cleaned and came out OK.

3. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Well I have not yet had a virus on my pc, because they all get shot by IMON (the internet monitor).
    If NOD finds a virus you have the option to clean, delete, rename, quarantine, leave it, send to the lab or just have it done automatically for you (according to your settings).

You should really download a free 30-day trial and experience the speed and many many options/settings/tweaks you can do with the program :)
    http://www.eset.com/download/trial.htm

Also have a look at this guide: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=37509

4. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

Also, you can use the option Quarantine to make a copy of the infected file in a safe place.

5. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Yup which is a good thing in case it's a false positive (file identified as a baddie when it really isn't). Happens with all AV products occasionally.

6. izi

izi Registered Member

AMON
    If the file system monitor (AMON) detects a virus, several alternative scenarios are supported and can be selected using three radio buttons. The default scenario blocks access to the infected file, displays the warning panel, and offers a selection of follow-up actions.

Attached Files:

7. izi

izi Registered Member

AMON Alert

Attached Files:

8. izi

izi Registered Member

IMON - Internet Monitor for POP3 / HTTP

Attached Files:

9. Upasaka

Upasaka Guest

I am a home user and have used NOD32 for @2 1/2 years now on 2 machines.

I would not change it for anything else ..period!
    It has many choices for actions and has never allowed anything to damage our systems.I rarely get any virus/trojan anyway as I am careful what I look at and check everything I download,my 9 year old son however is a nightmare and will download and open any file/program he can get his hands on and before we used NOD32 was forever infecting his PC.

I can honestly say that since I put NOD on his machine we have never had a problem,it stops everything he encounters before it can do damage.

The other thing I would add is that NOD and their chosen resellers/partners give an amazing service,I wish other software suppliers had the same level of service and dedication !

Try it and see for your self:)

10. POS

POS Guest

Good to see that nod32 is improving a lot at spyware/adware detection... just see the updates! they are adding a lot of signatures for spywares/adwares!

11. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

A bit of a note I would like to add here: Whether or not NOD32 cleans the infected file, NOD does automatically clean the registry of all the crap left by the baddies on detection of infected files, which is very good indeed ;)

12. POS

POS Guest

Yes... very good! Best AV ever.. light, excelent detection, stable.........etc. Keep the good work Eset!

13. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

my experiences of NOD32 cleaning infestations has been very good - although I've found plenty of SPYWARE that could not be cleaned by NOD32, the list of cleanable spyware grows every bigger on an almost daily basis... when NOD32 tackled something, it did a good job - when it didn't tackle the problem, I reverted to either a specialty cleaner, or one of a couple of other solutions I use for SPYWARE ONLY...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.