nod32 won't startup

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by ScottAdams, May 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScottAdams

ScottAdams Registered Member

My daughter's compuer seems to be comprised. NOD32 won't startup. The splash icon appears briefly then disappears.

She was running the trial version and I was planning to upgrade to full when the trial ran out. I did not get her updated in time though

She said she recently got a word document that was empty and I suspect the new word trojan.

Any suggestions on what I can do at this point?

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi ScottAdams, welcome to Wilders.

Have you tried running a scan while in "Safe Mode"?

Just make sure NOD32 is setup the same as HERE

Let us know how you go...

Cheers :D

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you go to Start - Programs - Eset and run NOD32 Control Center, the control center won't show up at all?

4. pykko

pykko Registered Member

See whether nod32kui.exe is checked at startup Start-> Run- msconfig-> startup and if you have the NOD32 service set to Automatic: Control Panel-> Administrative Tools-> Services. :)

5. ScottAdams

Sorry I wasn't clear. Nod32 is installed but what happens is the icon in the system tray does not appear. I also tried a reinstallation with a password set on the settings. Still no good.

When I select nod32 control panel or nod32 itself it will briefly popup and then disappear. The same thing happens under safe mode. My best guess is a rootkit level trojan has gotten on the system and is shutting it down. I also had time to run Windows Defender but it found nothing.

The computer also has SafeEyes installed on it to. This is a monitoring program.

My next plan of attack was to run a web based scanner on the system.

Which of the web based scanners would folks recommend? Kapersky? AVG? Or perhaps something else?

6. pc-support

pc-support Registered Member

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Please drop an email to support[at]eset.com with a link to this thread so that I can send you some diagnostic tools.

8. ScottAdams

Thanks Marcos, email sent!

9. Earache

Earache Registered Member

Marcos,

Was there resolution to this thread? I have the exact same problem. I was running the trial version, planned to purchase, then for some reason can't see icons in the systray, and can't run the console from the start menu either. NOD32 seems to be running, though, because the footer is put on my emails that they were scanned.

Appreciate any help.

Earache

10. Blackspear

Hi Earache, welcome to Wilders.

What was your previous anti-virus prior to the NOD32 Trial?

11. ScottAdams

I did a completel uninstall and reinstall to get it to work again.

12. Earache

Earache Registered Member

Blackspear,

I had Norton with Windows ME, but when I went to XP, I had problems with auto update. Norton tech support eventually gave up, and refunded my money.
    I changed to McAfee, but had similar problems, except it always told me that it was up to date when it wasn't, and I gave up on McAfee tech support (hard to deal with and not much help).

Earache

13. Blackspear

Could you please try the following:

Download a fresh copy of NOD32 to your desktop.

Uninstall your current version and reboot

Remove the Eset folder from C Drive> Program Files

Install the fresh copy of NOD32 that you downloaded above using "Typical" settings when asked.

Let us know how you go...

14. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Wow , sorry for interrupting but has this trial version expired ? ? ?o_O The splash screen appreas and then disappears + there is no NOD32 icon in the sys tray when NOD32's trial version has expired . I guess you need to use another antivirus or better buy the full version of NOD32

15. Vlatko27

Vlatko27 Registered Member

i'm having a similar problem on my laptop. it has a valid subsrciption, it's not a trial. i tried a full scan with nod32, with spybot and nothing came up. right now i am scanning with ewido anti malware to see if it can find anything(so far nothing).

anyway when the computer starts, the spalsh screen is displayed but the system tray icon is not there. i do get a windows notification that nod was updated to the latest version though. just the icon in the taskbar is not there. however if i run the control center manually it opens and the icon is in the taskbar. on next reboot, not there anymore.

i tried a re-install already and it didn't help. nod32kui is checked to startup in msconfig, it is set to automatic in administrative tools/services. i don't know why this is happening. on my other 2 pc's i never had this kind of trouble.

16. xp_1839

xp_1839 Registered Member

In all case where NOD32 icon failed to appear in systray, is Ad-Aware installed and Ad-Watch alert running in automatic mode?

If so, change it to manual and restart, if prompt to allow registry upon re-start, just permit it and see if NOD32 icon appears in the systray.Ad-Watch does prevent installing program from making changes to registry!

17. Vlatko27

Vlatko27 Registered Member

i have ad aware installed but not with ad watch.

i forgot to mention that my laptop is connected to one more computer in a ad-hoc connection. both pc's have nod32 installed, only on the laptop the systray icon never starts, on the other pc it starts normally. i tried a fresh re-install it didn't help.

18. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hello !

Please , send a message to support@eset.us
    with a link to this thread and more information about your problems.
    Hopefully ESET Tech Support can help you

Regards :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.