NOD32 with Integrated Firewall and Antispam?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by fosius, Aug 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dog

dog Guest

Yes ... if this news is confirmed by Eset. It would only be reasonable that both the standalone AV and the suite will be available at different price points and completely separate packages. I don't want a suite either ;), but I'm sure others do. In the end, if this increases the user base and revenue we all win, it isn't as resource consuming to maintain a firewall, like an AV ... so we could assume where that extra revenue is going to go. It a win-win in my books.
    *puppy*

2. piktor

piktor Registered Member

:doubt: oh my god, please not another "all-in-one device suitable for every purpose" :doubt:

I'll think NOD does a great job in protection against malware and this is what they should make perfect. Not open a completly new scene.

There are enough untamable monsters like Symantec and McAffee.

I agree with dog, I don't want a firewall with NOD and even if Eset think that they should have a Firewall, then please as a separate product.

-piktor-

Last edited: Aug 13, 2005
  3. vee

vee Registered Member

I think they should add firewall, antispam, possible HIPS, etc. as optional plugins system ;) (something like Outpost has). Keep everyone happy. Or team up with Outpost, wouldn't it be cool to have OutNOD or NODpost :p?

Regards,
    vee

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

As long as it doesn't cause you to NODOUT. :D

5. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

LOL :p

6. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Outpost are already working on v3 of their firewall which includes antispam etc
    I don't think I would even like that - too bloated and too much like NIS etc will have to make sure and keep copies of previous versions :rolleyes:

I am not so sure about NOD introducing a firewall either prefer layered protection, I only used a suite when I was first online but not any longer.

AVG have done the firewall thing - Outpost are in Alpha with v3 and now NOD32
    I hope we can still keep the separate components of each. I don't think one tool can do all proficiently same way as we are advised for a separate AT detection.

I will be very interested to see how the products develop & stand the test of time.

7. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

I agree 100%...

why repeat the mistakes of the "competition"? The bloatware version of NIS etc, are on of the main factors that NOD32 is getting so many converts FROM those "leaders" - much care would need to be taken not to repeat the very mistakes which began the migration of these many unhappy customers *TO* NOD32...

8. DavidCo

DavidCo Registered Member

I switched to Nod from CA due to the increase in modules, AV+FW+PestPatrol+AntiSpam.
    OK, you had the option on installation - for now!
    3/4 piece suite sir, no problem - just have to take the front window out as we cannot get it through the door.
    AND once it is in it is a ###'@@******* to get out.

9. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

10. cliff

cliff Registered Member

Nod32 have produced a fine AV program that we would all agree we are proud to use and put our faith in. I think it would be fair to say that the programmers at ESET are well capable of producing a fine Firewall product and we should all be more POSITIVE and welcome such a bold move by ESET. :D :D :D

11. feverfive

feverfive Registered Member

I am trialing Nod myself. I was also hoping to avoid a "suite" situation. Guess I'll have to go back to KAV once its 2006 beta is working better if this is true. I don't care to pay for sub-standard extras when all I really want is Nod's native protections.

12. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

It is all guessing and whispers at this point in time, Eset have not made any official statement.

Cheers :D

13. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

regardless of any perceived quality of a some non-existant additional modules - I do NOT want to be FORCED to take additional offerings - if my choice is not in question - ie, I can keep NOD32 AV/AT and continue with my own, perfectly fine arrangements for SPAM and Firewall, then I don't have a problem... remove the choice and bloat the system without any perceived "improvement" to me - then I (and many others) will have a problem.

14. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

All,
    I am not a NOD user but one day I am sure I will get around to using this as I like to switch around as my AV's expire.

I to do not want to see it load up with other stuff and get bloated. :(

I agree with those who have also stated such here. :ninja:

15. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I may try it but not when it's first released for comercial sale. As there will be some problems. Actually I may wait for somebody to review it.

16. DavidCo

DavidCo Registered Member

Actually, I would really like the choice of what I install (I installed NOD32)
    I am behind a NAT router but messed up its config (port forwarding) so do not have a FW at the moment (I know, but I hate bloat and have used many FW's)
    So a nice application FW from Eset would be welcome.
    Let's see, it's from Eset so will use .005% CPU and 500k ram - yup :D

17. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

After thinking about the idea of NOD having a firewall given that the actual AV is not as easy to configure (as most others) to the highest safety levels (only for Blackspear's screenshot configs I would have still been guessing) I just wonder how easy a firewall would be to configure if Eset went ahead with these plans o_O

Fine they say you can run NOD out of the box (so to speak) but much better to configure and understand. I know all firewalls are complex when we go beyond the default but I reckon NOD's would be a bit more complex then most o_O
    I still do not like the idea as I posted before but the complexity issue would be an additional thing to think about. o_O

Wonder what names they would add after IMON/AMON etc to the firewall ;)

18. Gor

Gor Registered Member

I want super firewall from ESET like NOD32 is super AV.:D It shouldn't be one big suite like Symantecs products. And cooperation between ESET firewall and ESET NOD32 could be very interesting. But one more time, pleas, not one big and slow dinosaur. Grrrrr....:mad:

19. myluvnttl

myluvnttl Registered Member

I just hope they stick to WHAT are best in doing!!!! Which is finding all the "bad file" away, I rather trust a comany that's has been doing something good for awhile then a company that want to adds new stuff to something that is good as it is like MS. ;)

20. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Yup. Only ATI cards that were designed for DX8 Features have this problem (Radeon 8500, 9000, 9200/9250)

21. ws123

ws123 Guest

i would suggest, nod combined with lns - that´s it -
    the ultimate suite!

22. jg88swe

jg88swe Registered Member

I would say Agnitum...
    Even if Outpost is a bit slower i think it's worth it ;)
    Altought havent used it in 2 years but i liked ver 2.0

Can any Eset Mod. Confirm this Security Suite?

And tell me if NOD32 is creating their own Firewall/AntiSpam or if they work togheter with someone on this?

23. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

For Firewall, if, and only if, it is not made by Eset itself, then I'm thinking Kerio would be their first choice for a partner....

24. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

The firewall, if its good its good, if its bad its bad, regardless of who make it... wait and see. Same with the antispam.

Long as there suitable installation and configuration options to enable and disable on the features we need.

Just because its part of a package does'nt mean anything, we need know more. Does anyone have a featureset of functionality, is it a simple port blocker, application filter, rule based ?

Then theres other factors.

Could be a bought in product.
    Could be a coded in house, but a totally seperate product.
    Could be coded in house, designed to be integrated, maybe share the same UI, reporting systems etc, but different engine, maybe it utilises the same engine.

From past history of NOD, Im sure NOD are smart enough to contrate on a quality product.

25. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

unless they partner up with agnitum im not too excited about the firewall, but i rele want to know if this security suite is just a rumor or if itll materialize.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.