NOD32 will be detected in SP2 ?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by adi55, May 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adi55

adi55 Registered Member

I am an new user in this forum but an old user od NOD32.

I read an article about the most expected SP2 for the Windows XP and there I find that XP SP2 will be able to recognize more third-party antivirus products, but nothing abut NOD32.

The question is: can we further use NOD32 with XP SP2 ?

I think that ESET must do samething for this.

The article can be read at microsoft-watch.com

2. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Welsome, Adi55!

"Recognize" NOD32. Even after reading the article, I don't understand the issue. Are the terms "recognize" and "compatible" here interchangable?

3. adi55

adi55 Registered Member

I don't know. Maybe anyone who allready installed a RC of SP2 on this forum and can tell us if there are any problems.

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

There is a function in sp2 that will tell you if you have an av installed and if it is functioning but it is not recognizing a few av's including nod.

5. Dazed_and_Confused

Thanks BigC. Can you tell me why should I care if XP tells me this?

6. bigc73542

I have not seen or used sp2 yet (waiting for final release) and I don't know if it doesn't recognize an av if it still works or if it wont let the av work. Sorry I can't be of much kelp on that particular question.

7. Dazed_and_Confused

I have to assume it's a security feature to notify a novice user if he/she doesn't have a functioning AV. Of course, I don't think anyone around here needs that feature... ;)

8. bigc73542

I hope we have been able to help a few users in the fine art of pc security. :D ;)

9. Dazed_and_Confused

BigC - Not to get off subject here, but I don't think there is any question about that. I know I've learned more about PC Security here in the last two months than I've acquired anywhere else over the balance of my so-far-short lifespan! :D

10. bigc73542

I thought because I work on computers almost every day that I knew enough about security. And then I came to wilders and realized real fast that it was time to go into learning mode. I am learning new things every day here and I imagine I will never learn even half of what I would like to. But I keep trying. ;)

11. sig

sig Registered Member

My understanding is that the security center in XP SP2 is an attempt to remind people that they should be security aware by having a firewall and AV active and up to date. The center is supposed to monitor the status of the AV and firewall.

The issue mentioned here is that the Security Center doesn't "recognize" a number of AV's. That doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with the AV's or that they won't work. The function of the AV does not depend on whether the MS Security Center recognizes it. So frankly I wouldn't worry aboiut whether the Security Center recognizes NOD or not. (And I predict a good number of users who update to SP 2 will turn off the Security Center anyway.) The AV will still work regardless.

More info about XP SP 2 and the security center here: http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1592803,00.asp

And from MS' tech review article here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2maint.mspx#XSLTsection127121120120

Last edited: May 15, 2004
  12. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

NOD32 will certainly be recognized in the final release of SP2.

13. adi55

adi55 Registered Member

Great news Marcos

14. HELLSTROM

HELLSTROM Guest

I was informed by a reliable source at Microsoft that NOD32's omission was "an oversight" which will be corrected soon.

15. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

That is good news Marcos. I would have been unhappy if it didn't recognize NOD32 because as I understand it, this program will let you know if you disable the av for some reason and forget to reenable. NOD32, unlike others I have used, doesn't peep, wave a flag at you, etc. when you forget to reenable Amon. I like AV that start flashing in the Systray or give me a popup after a certain number of minutes of being disabled and the pop reminds me to reenable. I don't know how many times I have forgotten to reenable Amon. So, I am hoping that this Security Center will monitor that and notify me since the av won't.

16. Habiru

Habiru Registered Member

You would think that NOD32 would be included since MS uses the software itself. Heh, typical of such a large company where the left doesn't know what the right is doing. :)

17. Fixitman

Fixitman Registered Member

Hi all,
    I guess my main concern is that those users that believe windows when it says that their antivirus (which I just sold them) is not working. Kind of makes them have to take my word for it. Although for most, this isn't a problem, (I've been managing their networks for years) some of my newer and less trusting customers may want to believe what their OS tells them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.