NOD32 Vs. Symantec Email Scanner

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Capp, Mar 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capp

Capp Registered Member

This is not a thread to start an argument, so please don't turn it into one.

I run NOD( :D ) on my pc and my ISP uses Symantec to scan incoming/outgoing mail on their email server. With my "Throw-Away" email address I use for everything, I get tons of spam and viruses every day. About 1 in 20 viruses caught in my email is caught by the symantec scanner, the rest are caught by NOD on my system. Kinda sad... :doubt:

What is even worse, is that most of the viruses that make it through the server to my pc are old varients that should have been stopped by now.

Thank you NOD32 (Eset) for making such a wonderful product!!

2. 4now

4now Registered Member

how 'bout this

since I switched from symantec to Nod several months ago only one virus was found in my email

how do they do ito_O!!!!

must be shooting them down in cyberspace

3. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Hi Capp . Argument ? You make a very good point . Glad you are protected .

4. sagittarius

sagittarius Registered Member

My ISP starting using ClamAV around last Christmas & immediately the level of viruses was reduced by about 98%. I can state this for certain because I have set over 200 NOD32 client computers (most of whom use the same ISP as me) to email me whenever they get a virus warning. I only get around 1 a day now, compared to about 100+ before ClamAV.
    The last 2 days were the rare exception with around a dozen reports of Win32/Bagle.BA worm coming in.
    However, I find that where NOD32 is worth it's weight in gold is in it's detection (& elimination) of trojans.

5. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

That's one of its weak points. Getting better but not at a level with KAV.

6. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

Trojans one of NOD32's weak points? I wouldn't exactly say that about NOD32's performance lately (one of the better AVs to catch trojans in my opinion) :)

It dd very well on the latest test at av-comparatives.org, but I agree, KAV is still the king (of AVs) at trojan detection.

7. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

I just loaded 5.0 personal edition of kav on my wife's machine as an experiment - I didn't even let it finish it's first complete disk scan before stopping and removing it... talk about resource hog and slow - and that without changing settings to best protection... no thanks!

8. sagittarius

I couldn't agree more ... I'd be lost without it.

I haven't personally tried KAV, (but have no reason to, as I'm a Nod reseller :D ) All I can say is that in my experience, Norton is the most resource-hungry A/V I've come across, esp the latest version of Internet Securities. Which is a real boon for my business, because most people can hardly wait to off-load it :D

9. waters

waters Registered Member

Now i have heard it all.
    Is this really called for

10. sagittarius

HUH o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.