NOD32 vs McAfee VSE

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by RollemUP, Aug 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollemUP

RollemUP Guest

Best Protection:
    NOD32 2.5 - advanced heurístics, improving database a lot and great Http scan.
    McAfee VSE 8.0i - Very Good database, buffer overflow protection and the opition to create rules (against *.scr and *.pif files, for exemple).

Which one is the best protection for a advanced home user, medium risk surfing? I´ve tried both and I can´t decide...:p

I have here ProcessGuard Full too.

Asus a7v8x-x
    AthlonXP 2800+
    512mb RAM

Ewido / TrojanHunter / Tauscan / ad-aware / a² / spybot S&D / SpywareBlaster / Spysweeper

Thanks for the replies..

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

id go with mcafee since it has an IPS and it would be better for medium risk surfing and it isnt very heavy for ur comp. i personally use nod32 but mostly cuz i rele like its http scanner.

3. profhsg

profhsg Registered Member

I'd go with NOD32 simply because of its heuristics, scanning speed, and the lightness of the demand it makes on your machine. Given all the other malware protection programs you're using, I'd say that you will get minimal additional detection capabilities with McAfee than you'd get with NOD32.

4. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Well I actually used both on two different laptops. (then again, the only other programs I have installed for security is BOClean)

Used it first with a P4-M 1.6ghz 512mb, and now with the replacement of a P-M 1.3ghz 512mb. Works great on both really, can't tell the difference between running one or the other by itself, or both.

The key is to use NOD32's IMON only. I have McAfee VSE as the RTM, with NOD32 IMON. NOD32's heuristics are more tailored for things that come from the internet (well almost all malware people encounter come from the internet). McAfee backs it up when it writes to disk.
    In my relatively unscientific experience so far, McAfee has detected a number of malware that got by NOD32. Though not sure if it was just because of the packing.
    A couple more things to lighten the load is to make it so McAfee won't scan old files that are being read.

I've actually also tried running KAV6 + NOD32 IMON, but KAV6 is a bit too unstable. Initial results are promising however.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.