NOD32 vs Kaspersky 5

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Ed_H, Nov 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I have used Norton AV in the past but was tired of the slowdown it caused. After doing some research I decided to try Kaspersky (NOD32 was my next choice). Since installing KAV Personal Pro I have been unable to complete a full scan as my PC freezes. I have uninstalled Norton SystemWorks and followed Symantec's guidelines for fixing the registry but still have the problem. I am still working with Kaspersky support but it is now over 2 weeks.

My questions:
    Is NOD32 installation generally trouble free or might I have a similar scanning problem?

Reviews seem to indicate NOD32 is a bit behind Kaspersky in ability to capture viruses and worms, etc. What are your experiences in actual use?

Anyone switched from Kaspersky? If so, how is it working?

Thanks

2. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

a lot discussed over the board, you can get the best answers here when searching...

welcome aboard

3. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi ffreedom01,

Welcome to Wilders.

I have moved your thread from the NOD32 Support Forum and into the Other Anti-virus Forum. Since your question is an A/V comparison question, it will receive better attention here. ;)

Regards,

snap

4. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Well, it depends on your surfing habits, if you surf to the "darkside" of the web, i would personally add an anti-trojan scanner (real-time).
    Why don't you try Nod and see if it works better with your system, i never had any problems when i used Nod and i doubt you will. If you do, then take a look at the honourable Blackspear's excellent guide to configure Nod. :)

Regards

5. jcwy

jcwy Registered Member

Hi ffreedom01,

I was a user of NAV2002, 2003, and 2004, and am now deciding between Nod32 and Kav Personal Pro.

Nod32 installed easily with no problems on my computers running Win98SE, XP Pro, and XP Media Center. KAV PPro installed nicely with XP Pro and XP Media Center, but not Win98SE.

On my laptop with P4 3.2Ghz / 1 GB ram / XP Media Center, I noticed that
    a) Nod32 is very light and no slow down even when using Photoshop CS and
    Premier Pro 1.5
    b) KAV PPro slowed down my computer very noticeably, so much so that I
    am really hesitant to use it despite its fame for superior detection rate.
    c) NAV2004 is fairly fast compared to KAV PPro with only a slight slowdown

Note: All three AV were set to maximum detection rate with real time
    scanner active.

d) For a full computer scan, Nod32 took about 30 minutes and KAV took
    about 80 minutes ... BUT, Nod32 scan summary indicated that about
    140,000 files were scanned, whereas KAV summary indicated that about
    400,000 files were scanned!!!

While Nod32 is good, I would get KAV PPro if it did not slow down my computer so much. I also like KAV's support better. Both times that I submitted infected but uncleanable files I got a reply the next day. I sent Eset a quarantined infected file about 3 weeks ago and I still have not receive a reply. I now assumed the file is just a Nod32 false positive, since the file was shown to be uninfected after scanning with KAV, Panda, and NAV. I did not delete the file because it is my registry backup.

6. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi,

I am working with both. KAV 5.0 was a disaster. KAV 4.5.104, which I purchased from ICE Systems has been excellent. Apparently there is no difference in detection between the two versions. But there may be other differences that I am not aware of. Right now I have KAV 4.5.104 with Zone Alarm Pro and BOClean. No trojan detection is absolute - as you will find if you scan some of the other threads, so I am more comfortable with this combination which is very stable on my system. I do on-demand scanning with TDS-3, Ewido, TrojanHunter, and Giant when I feel I need to.

NOD appears to be a very nice system. As was recommended, you would probably want a Anti-trojan product. In my experiences, BOClean is the most stable on my system. But, I have found, the best protection is modifying and controlling my own surfing behavior.

Rich

7. BrainWarp

BrainWarp Registered Member

If you want the best--then that would be kaspersky--nod32 is a great fast scanner ,but not in the same league.

When i had both i went to alot of questionable sites to pick nasties up on purpose.

Well i picked up 21 trojans and viruses.Kas and nod 32 detected the same amount.[ HEY- THATS GREAT] The problem came when i could not delete but 7 of them with nod32 and kas deleted them all.I don't think someone should have to e-mail the maker and post in forums to find out how to delete nasties.Thats what an antivirus should do anyway--it's there job.

So i quess nod32 is pretty good ,but you may have problems deleting certain nasties.

Kas pays me to say this---thats what you thinking--lol

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

NOD32: very good detection rate, low resources, the most quick scan available and have a great configuration...

Kaspersky: the best in detection rate, use a lot of resources, the scan is very slow...

My preference go to NOD32 ;)

9. webmedic

webmedic Registered Member

just curious how much info you can get into here a
    I might add here also that nod is liter on resources and generally works very well. I Use them both in real world situations to clean systems all the time. I see all kinds of computers with all kinds of virii and spyware every day. I have seen all those tests but I can tell your from scanning literally hundreds of computers what I see.

Nod is you turn on advanced heuristics and deep scanning will pick up allot of things and still be liter on resources that kav.

Kav has tons of virus definitions so if you do get infested kav will find a few more virii but not by much. The funny thing is that nod will find a few that kav does not also. I don't know why but I use about 4 or 5 scanners to get everything as no one scanner will get them all after you have already got them on your system.

Now here is the big one that I'm not sure those test can show accurately and that is how well these products keep virii off the system to begin with. Mid you I'm not exactly sure what or how any of the testing sites do their tests. However nod32 seems to be very good at keeping virii off the system to begin with. I'm always cleaning up systems with nav and mcafee. Although mcafee seems to pick up a few virii that nod does not after a system is infected I don't have any of these issues on systems running nod to begin with.

If I was to say one downside to nod is that it does not have an option to rescan the system on boot but then again if you don't get infected to begin with you don't really need to worry about that do you?

10. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

To get back your original question. If you've got bits of Symantec still gumming up your works you could have problems with whatever AV you use.

Having said that, there is a known issue with Kaspersky on machines previously configured for Norton, involving 'jscript.dll '. I assume Kaspersky will have given you details on how to remove it, if not ask them.

11. p51d007

p51d007 Registered Member

Re: Use both?

I use both. I've been using Nod32 since the beta days of XP. I love it.
    When I started hearing about KAV, I thought I'd give it a try. Well, yeah, it's a
    good AV, but boy does it slow the computer down! So, I use Nod32 as my active scanner, and I keep KAV, for on demand things that I might deem "questionable" from the net. Never hurts to have a backup detection program.
    As with the other posts, you definately want a good spy/ad/trojan scanner.
    It's a shame we have to devote this much time to keep crapware off the computers.

:eek:

12. nameless

nameless Registered Member

I have been using KAV 5.0 Personal since it went gold, but its performance hit is really annoying me to death lately. It seems that recent builds are worse in that regard.

So, I've considered going back to NOD32. How has its trojan detection improved over the past year, if at all? Last I knew, everyone was saying that Eset needed a chance to sort of "catch up" in that department. Are they almost there yet?

13. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

Reading all these scary stories, I'm still very happy with the very easy Panda Platinum7.0....does a great job, gets some malware, easy configuration and great updates!!!!

Greetings,

@bok

14. nameless

I'm having trouble figuring out how that fits in with the topic of this thread.

15. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I personally recommend NOD32 because of the lightness of it and its speed.
    Speed Comparison:
    *NOD32 - Ferrari -> hauls butt and destroys things in its path
    *KAV - Sherman Tank -> slow but destroys everything, good and bad :)

KAV is a great anti-virus, if you don't plan on using your machine much because of its weight and amount of files it scans (all of them).

NOD32's Heuristics are incredible about sniffing out viruses that have no definition yet.

Just my opinion :D :D :D

16. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i strongly agree with VaMPiRiC_CRoW and Capp. NOD32 is much faster than KAV but it still catches many viruses (or is it virii?). u just have to consider how fast ur comp is then try the various options available and see wut AV works best for you. I use NOD32 as catching 99% of viruses (a la KAV) isnt as important as having a fast computer. as for the question the poster asked. the best thing to do u a fresh installation of winxp then reinstall whatever AV they want. installing and uninstalling multiple AV (or any program) can cause lots of problems with the registry and stuff.

17. Benvan45

Why shouldn't it fit? I'm merely stating, that choosing between NOD32 or Kaspersky 5 is not interesting for me after reading all the "trouble" and ins and outs with these programs. I just keep Panda Platinum......I think just a great scanner.

By the way........have you ever read all the threads about Nod and Kav yeto_O?? You'll be amazed!!! Don't think there was need for another one, really.
    So, I just state my opnion about Panda compared to Nod and Kav, no more and no less.
    Hope you don't mind, otherwise....sorry for troubling you.

o_O Putin

18. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

This is a thread concerning nod32 vs kaspersky 5 the discussion of any other av product should be carried on by starting a thread here

bigc

19. Benvan45

Sorry about that, but you know what I really feel every day? 95% of the regular members here and mostly the members in the top region......are just talking about 2 or 3 AV scanners, Nod and Kav and man oh man......beware if someone tries to state something different, your head just about gets cut off.
    I don't think my remark regarding Panda is worth a new thread, so why such a fuss when something like this creeps in between the lines hereo_Oo_O
    To me The Wilders Anti Virus section should be renamed "The Big One And Only NOD32 Section"
    I find that very irritating......and sure, now you can ask me: "what are you doing here?"
    Well, I like to read about all Anti Virus programs and I also like to place a remark once in a while, that's all.
    So, don't get too upset right away if someone breaks in to your NOD32 Club, I'm not harming anything or anybody..........

Greetings,

;) Putin

P.S.,

How about moving all Nod32 talk to the proper sectiono_Oo_O Don't hear anybody about that!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2004
  20. nameless

Oh dry your tears already. No one was trying to be rude, just trying to stay on topic. But congratulations; now we have half a dozen off-topic posts.

One reason it matters is that people subscribe to these threads, and they don't always want to be bothered with an email notification that has nothing to do with the topic. I know I didn't. As it is, I am as guilty as you for writing this.

21. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

OK,

Should I use NOD32 for real-time protection and run KAV (with disabled KAV real-time protection) once a week?

This would be the best of both worlds

22. webmedic

webmedic Registered Member

just curious how much info you can get into here a
    That would probably be a good bet. Also I don't know if it does this but if you could limit kav to certain directories then you could have it set to always monitor forinstance only your downloads directory. That would limit it from doing everything but still catch things that you might download.

If not that then yes set it up to scan once a week at night and let it go.

23. yeuxbleus

yeuxbleus Registered Member

I had NOD32 on my system alongside BOClean, at one time. That duo ran great for a while until for some reason I started getting freezes. After a lot of e-mails, it was decided that there may have been conflicts with other software I was running at the time, so I uninstalled both. Since I have a Win98SE machine, I decided to give AVP (KAV) 3.5. It ran smoothly with absolutely no noticeable slowdowns. Don't get me wrong, I like NOD32 and respect its capabilities, but I really like Kaspersky. I also think BOClean is a wonderful product with outstanding support, but this is getting off topic. I decided to give KAV 5.0 Personal a try two months after it was released. I for one was impressed. I noticed no affect on my system's speed between it and AVP 3.5. Bottom line, although I always liked NOD32, I am staying with KAV.

24. nameless

I love Kaspersky too, in a sense. As I mentioned before, I ran KAV 5.0 Personal from the day they released it. Lately though, the slowdowns have been driving me nuts again. It has almost been like having KAV 4.5 back (which was an utter nightmare for me, in terms of performance impact). I didn't have that problem with the earlier builds of KAV 5.0, so I suspect something they changed is what did it. But I'm not going to keep an older build of KAV 5.0 installed.

In any event, I installed NOD32 the other day, and I feel like I just got my system back. To have potentially better protection is nothing, if it comes at the price of hating to use your system.

25. yeuxbleus

yeuxbleus Registered Member

I agree with you, nameless. Had KAV 5.0 slowed my system down I would not have stuck with it. I would have gone with something like Command, F-Prot or DrWeb if I couldn't get NOD32 to play well with BOClean. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.