NOD32 vs BitDefender

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by jmarsh, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sam9879

sam9879 Registered Member

Here's my experience,

Firstly after being victim of Norton i did a little search on av's and found Bitdefender is good, so switched to BD. But immidiately i had to uninstall Ad-adware SE(Which is kind of my fav). then i was quite happy with BD.

After a another couple of weeks i came to know that NOD32 is lightest av available, so i thought lets give it a shot. Indeed it was lighter and faster then BD but initially i didn't knew how to configure it, so trojan creeped in to my system through Firefox. I scaned twice(wth NOD32) but nothing found but nothing was found but system's behaviour was not good. So i switched back to BitDefender and scaned, It cleared all the problems and system was running smooth.

After some time i found some file containing virus which was actually made for testing purpose, so i thought lets try this one to check BD's effectiveness. BD detected the virus as soon as i downloaded the file and removed the virus giving massege that your system is not affected. but it left some traces of the infected file on my desktop which i was not able to delete manually or by BD getting msg that it is used by some program.

So againg was the time to use NOD32! By this time i knew how to configure NOD32 (Thanks to Blackspears Extra settings!) After installing as soon as i restarted the system NOD32 eated that currupt trace of the virus containing file!! and bingo@! till then i am using NOD32 with no problems at all....

i agree with most of people said here that compitition is too close, but my vote goes to NOD32!

2. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

:thumb: NOD32 :thumb:

3. Niels

Niels Registered Member

I also started with Norton. I think most people started with Norton. Because it was a well known antivirus.

I use Ad-aware se professional and BitDefender. And they don't give conflicts.
    So for me it's also a mystery why you get that message during installation but you can ignore that. If you want to delete files that are in use you must boot in safe mode or using unlocker. And also close your browser.Other antiviruses also can't clean or remove files that are in use.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

this thread has just become a bit of interest to me.
    for the pc im building soon i can either get bitdefender internet security OEM and upgrade to version 10 uninstall the modules i dont want and it will only cost £3.50 because its oem and i would buy it with the pc.
    or get nod32 on student license.
    bitdefender shouldn't slow down an amd dual core 3800 should it?
    i wont have much on the pc im building
    lodore

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

lodore, ive never known bitdefender to slow down anything on my machines whenver ive tried / used it.

6. Niels

Niels Registered Member

BitDefender won't slow down your computer. In version 8.0 you had a problem that bdss.exe that's part of their file scanner used a lot off cpu. But now I don't have that problem. If you have that problem you can solve it by don't let BD scans files larger then fill in a value or but that isn't wise excluding an entire pad. I use BD since version 8.0. The best thing is that you buy the Plus version that has less functions then the internet security suite. Or if you don't want the firewall you can buy just BitDefender Antivirus v10.

Sorry for my bad English

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks for the replys i didnt think it would slow down.
    i found the internet secuirty suite OEM for £3.50 so its cheaper to get the suite and just dont install the features i dont want using custom install. since i will be buying it with componants for the pc im building then why not.
    ive always loved "secure your every bit" and the cracked egg icon
    im gonna try bitdefender 10 antivirus on my old pc once windows ME has finished reinstalling.
    the ghost image didnt restore from the usb pen=D so i am reinstalling it.
    probably just wrong usb driver
    lodore

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Hey, the cracked egg comment is mine. Uh, has anyone noticed, my avatar hasnt changed in 62 hours 13 minutes and 12 seconds.:rolleyes:

9. Niels

Niels Registered Member

I agree with you that if you can get their internet security suite cheap. I mentioned that becaues otherwise you spended too much if you didn't need the other features.

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

well, detection rates are similar, heuristics are both great on both and both use low ram.

obviously, if both work well on your machine, obviously..... go for the cheapest :)

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

omg wow 62hours:D
    lodore

12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

While I would not again use BD, if it runs well on your machine it is an excellent AV. The pricing of BD, assuming that you can still use one license on a PC and a laptop, is excellent also.

NOD just runs much better without conflicts on my machines. It also scans much faster. NOD takes less than 20 minutes, while BD took over 40 when I used it.

Best,
    Jerry

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

@ jerry,was it only because of conflicts on your system thou?
    or other issues?
    i like nod32 alot but i like bitdefender alot as well.
    my top three av's are kav,bitdefender and nod32.
    if its bitdefender suite for£3.50 oem when i buy the components for my pc or nod32 like e.g. £12 nod32 on student license i might as well go for bitdefender and do a custom install of what i want.
    i wouldn't really care which one of those three i like them all.
    lodore

14. Niels

Niels Registered Member

If you buy the security suite or Antivirus plus you still get a 2 year license and you can install on 2 pc's or laptops. I don't have any conflicts. With the standard version you can only install in on 1 computer.

Softwin improved a lot their scanning time. In version 8.0 it was normal behaviour that a scan would take +/- 2 a 3 hours. The scanning time depends also on the settings that are enabled. For me it's not an issue that a scan has a long duration. But I also agree with you. In BD you have also many different type of scans from which you can choose that is the case in version 10.

Niels

15. sasa843

sasa843 Registered Member

For me on-demand scan duration is also not an issue and something to pay a lot attention, not just for the full system scan which should be runed when people do something else, and there is nice option to shut down computer when a scan is finished, nor when You scan just a part of your system.

16. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I don't know about BitDefender (I didn't try it yet) but according to my own experience, I found that NOD32 can be, surely, the most lightweight AV of all.... However... IMO and according to my experience, this same degree of lightness can be applied aswell for its on-demand detection capabilities. :doubt:

And it counts a lot to me!

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i dont think scanning speed matters to much.
    with my new pc im building i will have enough backups to make sure i dont lose anydata if any virus hits.
    since ive been virus free for nearly two years i dont fear viruses that much no more
    lodore

18. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

It was because of conflicts. Otherwise I liked it until sometimes in version 9 it started to cause shutdowns.

Best,
    Jerry

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

to be fair you do have quite alot of apps but i dont agree with companys like f-secure and bitdefender telling you to uninstall other products you paid for just to use bitdefender or f-secure.
    i dumped f-secure becasue i had some conflicts i kept on reporting them but the support told me to uninstall th other product because "f-secure is enough" im not gonna be told what secuirity apps i can use and cant so i ditched it
    lodore

20. User_1

User_1 Registered Member

Will either of these programs play nice with spy sweeper running simotaniously?

21. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I'm sorry to BitDefender loyals but NOD32 has to take top honors IMO. I just installed BT and was aghast! :eek: at all the processes it lodges in the Task manager list not to mention the many files it seems to have to depend on just to perform.

I dropped it like a hot potatoe, my conscience and system just cannot live with that kind of overkill of bloat no matter if it could detect a mesquito climbing thru the circuits.

My opinion only, i always liked BitDefender but it's in dire need of a file/driver diet indeed.

22. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i dont understand that easter,in my experience with bitdefender, it doesnt use many processes and certainly hardly any ram at all.

23. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i guess he means 5 processes instead of the 2 that nod32 uses.
    nod32 has always run flawlessly on my test system.
    if student license is cheap i might as well get that.
    5 processes isnt to bad really thou.
    its nothing compared to the 13processes in f-secure 2007 or the 18 in f-secure 2006.
    lodore

24. Niels

Niels Registered Member

BitDefender uses only 3 services. So that isn't an overkill. The amount of processes that are running depends also which version you are using and what features BD includes. BD antivirus Plus uses 5 processes. But they don't use lot of CPU power. 5 processes is also not too many.For me the amount of processes isn't important it's only important the cpu usage. But it must be reasonable not more then 10 processes.

25. sasa843

sasa843 Registered Member

Memory usage is quite small, just look at these pictures which are from BitDefender Internet Security 10.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.