NOD32 (Vista/x64) crashes computer as of today

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by carljones, May 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sniffer

sniffer Registered Member

These updates f***ed up not only Vista 64 machines, but also Vista 32 and Windows XP. One of my softwares, Photoshop Elements, never worked again, even after 3121 update.

Norton never did it to my machine in 10 years.

C'mon, guys, we'd payd them. It's not aceptable.

Sorries won't give my health back. Next week I'll plead justice for indenization. Not because of all this stress, but because I'd payed for something that crashed up my system and made me loose lots of work (3 times in a roll), softwares that I would have to pay someone to reinstall it, etc. etc. etc..

@webfocusdesign was right: it scratches our confidence. But some money will resettle my confidence, that I know.

2. Ezel

Ezel Registered Member

Nope... It does not... It should be a feature, but its not.

3. timpaul

timpaul Registered Member

Not sure that structure exists under Vista?

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The only difference on Vista is the folder "Users" instead of "Documents and Settings".

5. timpaul

I uninstalled NOD32 and searched that directory structure (under Users) and the directories were not there ... guess they went when I uninstalled.

The version of the engine before uninstall was 3.0.642.0 but after reinstall the version was 3.0.657.0 How do you update the engine?

I have enabled ThreatSense and ... no hang. I think the problem is with the engine version?

6. aszazeroth

aszazeroth Registered Member

This folder deletetion, is it valid for other instances of nod32 too, like the one under the "ESET NOD32 Antivirus" folder !?

7. sniffer

sniffer Registered Member

Ok. Now "software modules" or something (I couldn't write it down: system crashed) locked up my system once again.
    Lost more than 30 minutes of video capturing and the article I was writing and need to send to newspaper within 3 hours.

Is this some kind of joke? Are you guys having fun in there?

Keep going, ESET, keep going....

8. timpaul

My machine is now working. In the event that it helps someone else here is what I did:
    1) Forced a reboot and as soon as NOD32 loaded disabled ThreatSense. You have to be quick so make sure you can move through the menus before NOD32 hangs.
    2) Uninstalled NOD32
    3) Downloaded the installer from the web and reinstalled. Now my engine is 3.0.657.0 and virus signature is 3121 but it was 3048 after the install and the system did not hang.

Thanks for the help from folks who started and responded to this thread. Good luck!

9. timpaul

One last question, is there a way to update the engine without reinstalling?

Thanks

10. alfmanuel

alfmanuel Registered Member

Hi Guys,

have to confirm the update problems today. All my machines got false positives on my Adobe products; after seconds the machine hung up.

Reboot didn't help me as windows hang up directly after login again.

My way to get the machine working without uninstallation:

* Boot up Windows (in my case it's windows vista business x32) in SAFE MODE
    * Change to c:\Program Files\ESET. I've got a file called "nod32.007" here, add .OLD to it (it should be named "nod32.007.OLD" then)
    * Then change into ESET NOD32 Antivirus Sub-Directory
    * Sort files by date and add to all files .OLD which have been changed today
    (should remove the virus database)

Then reboot and start up windows normally - Start up NOD32 - it will tell you, that it's not working (as there are corrput signatures)

Make the update.

I've also to confirm, that the updates won't fix problems with adobe products. In my case, I had to re install Dreamweaver and Fireworks new.

Best regards from Austria
    Manuel ;-)

11. ddalrymple

ddalrymple Registered Member

Was greeted upon arrival to our office this morning with one computer failing after another. Quickly figured something was up with NOD32 and headed to ESET site to find no heads-up/warning. If not for the forum discussion and moderators things would have been even worse.

Some notice should have been posted by ESET.

After perfroming the same process as alfmanuel on 10 workstations, all is well. For now...

12. alfmanuel

Hi Guys,

I think a security company like ESET has to inform it's customers about such crazy things. And if they know about it, they should remove the antivirus update.

My PC worked now (have to reinstall adobe products in my laptop now) and after update to the latest signatures it also worked BUT after a reboot now (for testing issues) all crashed again?

Are they crazy?? I'm looking for a alternative solution now; as I cannot spend my whole day with reinstalling adobe products because of stupid mistakes by ESET... :ninja: :ninja:

I read about the eset post too (https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1247063&postcount=4) - What do they mean with "there is no file"? Most people have problems if Adobe products are installed - hello ESET - wake up :isay:

*ADD*
    And some new trouble here too: If you stay too long in the secure mode of Windows - it crashes too?? After NOD32 removal it isn't. !?

:thumbd:
    manuel

13. Giftmacher

Giftmacher Registered Member

Well I seem to be back to normal now, one thing about that Charon folder though, it was under C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus on my system.

Gift.

14. alfmanuel

hello again (yeah its me again :)

tried out the official solution by ESET and it's working now...
    i'm afraid of customers which will be back to business tomorrow and call me because of this problems! ;(

i hope that all of you can use the solution to get your system working again ;)

manuel

15. Heywood8614

Heywood8614 Registered Member

outstanding. only cost me 6 hours and no sleep. eset was the last thing i suspected till i went through the ms config to slowly id what was causing these crashes. Next time eset wants to pull something like this, do it on a weekend.

16. glitch82

glitch82 Registered Member

This is ****ing bullshit, I've had my computer and my brother's computer both lockup 3 times in a row this morning, twice after two NOD32 updates 3122 and 3123. If I didn't know any better I would have definitely blamed Vista, as the average user would, this is the reason Microsoft gets such a bad rep for its products is because of incompetent programmers who don't know what the **** they are doing. I hope the next version of Windows locks whatever it is that is allowing your engine to work and puts you guys out of business, you're probably using some of the same techniques that viruses and malware use to cripple systems in order to protect them but you can't even do that right. I bought 3 licenses of ESS only to find the firewall was ****ing terrible and so I'm only using 2 of my 3 licenses with EAV instead, only to find out that now the AV engine can completely cripple my OS with no warnings. I won't even install the 3rd that was meant for my server. How is it that your software can do this to Windows? Why can't it kindly crash itself and leave everything else running?

Fix this ****!

17. glitch82

glitch82 Registered Member

Turned off anti-stealth, got ANOTHER update from ESET and my computer locked up again. The Intel RAID driver flagged my array as needing verification and repair AGAIN for the second time today. Completely unacceptable.

18. bafranksbro

bafranksbro Registered Member

I deleted the stuff in the Charon folder and renamed the definitions and then restarted, it fixed my problem completely. No more lock ups. :)

EDIT: BTW I didn't even go into safe mode since my stupid USB keyboard doesn't work until Windows is booted so I couldn't hit F8.

19. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

This is one of two ways how to solve lockup problems. Another way is to update ESS/EAV and restart the computer.

20. tmorv

tmorv Registered Member

I have had the same problem. It locked my machine and actually either its murphys law or it stressed my firewire hd so bad that the container circuit died. The drive doesnt work anymore with the external container (MAXTOR Firewire 800) after the NOD32 failure. Had to take the SATA out and connect it directly. Might not be related but the timing is "perfect". (1 month old HD and a clean installed Vista) I didnt discover the failure before it had locked my PC completely, and the CPU was EXTEREMELY HOT and it was only a "frozen white screen".

Not only did it take me 3-4 hours to find the exact problem but probably also a harddrive. I feel like the earlier poster that perhaps they use techniques thats not "by the Vista book" and thereby more ore less operates as an "intrusion software" would. This is also the case since when it alerted me on an Adobe .dll file and I said "Leave" (do nothing) in my choice it just froze the whole PC.

I for one have decided to end my licenses with NOD32 both at home and on our office servers since the trust is broken. Too bad. Always liked the software, but we as purchasers HAVE to demand ULTIMATE stability of companies that aim for securing our PCs and servers. When that fails I will never "sleep well" knowing that this can happen again because of sloppy testing routines at ESET. This would NEVER happen if they followed protocol.

If anyone can point me in the right direction to the alternative AV I am very glad to get feedback.

For now I have installed Avast free edition untill I purchase another AV.

I also would like to look at the possibility of claiming a refund.

Thanks to all you guys that helped me debugging by starting and posting in this thread.

TmoRV

21. Alan64

Alan64 Registered Member

Just want to report that I got hit with yesterday this too, but I'm now up and running again.

It took me all day yesterday to figure out that it was NOD32 that was causing the problem, and then I couldn't figure out what to do, since the computer would lock up during or shortly after booting. I really should remember to always check here first!

I was tempted to uninstall and reinstall, but I found that the simplest way was to boot into safe mode, delete the files in the Charon folder (as described by Marcos, above), reboot normally, and then install version 657 over my existing installation. That way, I was able to preserve my existing NOD32 settings.

22. alfmanuel

Had to get up on 7 ó clock in the morning today and had to inform all of our customers that we have problems with NOD32.

Thanks ESET.

But the most stupid thing is the same glitch82 had - with every "hard turn off" of my machine, INTEL rechecks raid... and this is meaning only 50% of hardware benefit to me...

One update destroyed all my positive thoughts about eset - norton couldn't do it better :(

manuel

23. uberdruck

uberdruck Registered Member

I too got struck by this issue 2 nights ago just before bed and not thinking much of it rebooted then left my computer on overnight to do its regular maintenance... It was frozen when I woke up so I left it off while I was at work all day.

Upon returning home and attempting to turn on my machine all I got was the dreaded "BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP" usually associated with faulty memory.

After running some diagnostic tools on my hardware, my PSU had dropped its 5v and PG rails, with the remainders not being very stable (lights on the PSU tester flickering a lot), and one of the matched sticks of RAM was also faulty.

These were normally very reliable parts with the RAM not even 10 months old and I find it very strange that these parts decide to die at the same time NOD32 started causing these issues.

So not only is my antivirus currently very unreliable, I am now out $100 for a new power supply and possibly RAM too depending on the outcome of my warranty claim!

24. darrenstock

darrenstock Registered Member

Well, ive had them problem for 7days now, and got in contact for with MS as i assumed it was a VISTA problem.
    customer got 3 PC's and a laptop. all running vista and NOD. 1 PC and 1 Laptop had the problem.
    Assumed it was either Adobe or microsoft. Logged a fault call with them friday, they called me back this morning.

I only found by chance, in the Event Logs... the ekrn.exe was the fault in event log, and only noticed it tied in with the crash times, i asked him to log for me.
    The machines would crash every 3 or 4 hours... per day. so annoying

Agree that ESET should inform customers of the problem.
    I have lost sleep over this, I am a reseller for the AV software, and didnt think for one minute this would be the problem.
    Cost me lots of time and money trying to sort this problem out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.