NOD32 (Vista/x64) crashes computer as of today

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by carljones, May 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carljones

carljones Registered Member

Hi all,

I've been a happy NOD32 owner for years, never had any problem... until today. Nothing had changed on my computer at all. When I switched my PC on today however (think there was some update, can't remember if it was engine or not) things weren't good. My PC after a few secs after login, NOD window comes up and PC then hangs. Mouse is responsive but no buttons, even ctrl+alt+del doesnt bring anything up.

So I switched off my services before finally realising it was NOD32 causing the problem. Disabling the service worked fine. But of course now i've got no protection.

Here seems to be the error in event manager

ANyone else had the same problem??

Thanks

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Please try disabling ThreatSense temporarily and restart the computer. If that helps, enable it after the next update:

Attached Files:

• ts.jpg
      ts.jpg
      File size:
      33.4 KB
      Views:
  3. carljones

Thanks Marcos,

Have you got a registry key I can change to set that, as by the time the GUI loads the PC has already hung! :(

4. Giftmacher

Giftmacher Registered Member

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Don't click on anything else, the minute you see the ESET icon, click on it and go straight to advanced settings:

Open up the EAV or ESS Control Center by completing the following (do not click on anything else or your system will hang before you can complete this):

For Windows XP

1. Click on “Start”.

2. Click on “All Programs”.

3. Click on “ESET”.

4. Click on “ESET NOD32 Antivirus” or “ESET Smart Security”.

5. Click on “ESET NOD32 Antivirus” or “ESET Smart Security”, this will open up the EAV or ESS Control Center.

6. Click on “Setup”.

7. Click on “Enter entire advanced setup tree” or “Toggle advanced mode” and then “Enter entire advanced setup tree”.

8. Click on “Tools” and make sure this is expanded so you can see the items beneath it.

9. Click on “ThreatSense.Net”.

10. In the right hand side, remove the tick from “Enable ThreatSense.Net Early Warning System”.

11. Click on “OK”.

12. Close the Control Center.

13. Reboot your computer.

Cheers :D

6. Marcos

Try running the following command in safe mode:
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESET\ESET Security\CurrentVersion\Plugins\01000600\Profiles\@My profile" /v SampleEnable /d 0 /f

7. Giftmacher

I managed to squeek in and disable threatsense however it seems to make no difference to me. The system still goes non-responsive after a minute or so.

Gift.

8. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Did you reboot?

Cheers :D

9. Giftmacher

Yeah, I did, no joy I'm afraid. :(

Gift.

10. KTamas

KTamas Registered Member

We have the same here at my company, NOD32 killed several of our computers. On some computers I was quick enough and could disable ThreatSense and disable NOD32 before it locked up the system, but on other computers, it locks up before I could do anything.

11. Marcos

The problem has been identified and fixed with update 3121. It was not actually a typical false positive caused by signatures or heuristics, hence it took us some time to figure out the cause.

12. KTamas

KTamas Registered Member

Is there any way I can update NOD32 from safe mode?

13. Giftmacher

Ah all good, things seem to be ok with the new update, but I've not re-enabled threatsense yet... Let me give it a whirl.

[EDIT] Phew, normal service has resumed! Thanks for getting it sorted so quickly.

Gift.

14. Jyri

Jyri Registered Member

Same thing happened to me, Nod32 was detecting my folding@home core exe files and PC would lock up.

I eventually had to do a windows repair because I couldn't boot after resetting too many times I guess. Then I managed to get into safe mode and uninstall Nod32 and PC is running normal after uninstalling.

15. Giftmacher

Scratch that, one of my PCs is still locking up. I think it choked during the update and now it won't update again. Anyway to force NOD32 to re-install the latest update?

Gift.

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  16. capitalF

capitalF Registered Member

Mine too. Just uninstalled from safe mode. We'll see how that goes.

Thanks ESET. Thanks for forcing me to remove your product to fix your problem. How about you fix it?

17. carljones

Thanks Marcos,

I uninstalled, reinstalled latest version, ran update and now all is well with the world.

Thank you

18. timpaul

timpaul Registered Member

I don't think it has. My Vista machine also hangs on identifying a potential threat with Acrobat 8. Managed to reboot and updated the signiture to 3121 before the system hung again. Forced a reboot but, after a few minutes, off it went again.

Appreciate some guidence from ESET. Thanks.

19. webfocusdesign

webfocusdesign Registered Member

I don't think it's fixed either. After updating to 3121 and the 3.0.657 engine and re-booting, my system still hangs if I re-enable ThreatSense.Net Early Warning System. (Vista 64 Ultimate)

BTW, why doesn't NOD32 notify us when there's a new engine version available?

20. capitalF

Uninstall / Reinstall / Update. That has worked for me so far.

21. capitalF

Good question.

22. webfocusdesign

webfocusdesign Registered Member

Ok scratch my last... another reboot seems to have fixed it...

Good thing I found these threads before I attempted a complete Windows re-install...

Now this is the kind of glitch that really shakes up confidence in a security software vendor... What do you guys at Eset plan to do to prevent this kind of thing in the future?

23. Jyri

Jyri Registered Member

This has worked for me also.

Although my folding@home FahCore_78, 7b, 79.exe's are still in quarantine as probably a variant of unknown virus.

24. timpaul

timpaul Registered Member

I have rebooted many time but I haven’t uninstalled /reinstalled yet but just switched Threatsense back on and bang ... system frozen.

Will uninstall next ...

25. Marcos

Please delete the content of the "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ESET\ESET Smart Security\Charon" folder in safe mode and then start Windows in normal mode. Hope that helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.