NOD32 + Vista SP2 = Broken

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by oscill8r, May 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oscill8r

oscill8r Registered Member

Have tested on a number of systems now using two scenarios NOD32 installed both pre and post Vista SP2 RTM installation.

In each case the following results:

1. Installer is broken both using repair and uninstall complaining of permissions and resulting in a painful 'manual' uninstall.

2. Within a few days a service fails to start and NOD32 icon turns red to indicate this.

Other posts on the forum seem to confirm this behaviour and worse (BSOD).

Clearly Vista SP2 breaks NOD32, the first time this has happened to me using an antivirus product in a very long, obviously I am not happy.

ESET, there is no excuse for this, you have had ample time to test this, and given that your latest version has been developed so close to the SP2 release you should have more than been on top of this.

We need a sticky here ASAP to warn / advise others about this, an ESET communication confriming the problem and ultimately a fix.

2. GAN

GAN Registered Member

I'm among those people that been having issues with nod32 and Vista SP2. I had problems where nod32 didn't work properly after installation and the issues where the uninstall doesn't work because of some permission problems that require a manual painful removal. For some reason i managed to get nod32 installed when i tried for the fourth time and don't know exactly what i did to make it work.
    I agree that Eset sometimes is a bit slow to test their products with new OS and new servicepacks. I'm not sure what kind of relationship Eset have with Microsoft, but many software developers have a partnership with Microsoft to receive new version and information early to be able to make their products ready before release of a new OS/SP's.
    I also have to say that SP2 is still very new and there is a reason why most larger companies choose to never install a new servicepack at this stage since issues like this is pretty common. So installing a brand new servicepack i think you also have to accept there could be some issues. If that kind of issues is unacceptable you should not be the first to install a new SP and wait until confirmed that all the software you use is supported and working fine with SP2.

So even if i understand your frustration and agree that Eset could have tested nod32 with SP2 at a earlier stage i also think that people that install a brand new version also have to accept there could be some compatibility issues. Also (unless i'm wrong) SP2 is currently just released to technet and msdn subscribers and not yet available to the public.

As some Eset representatives already posted on this board they are currently testing nod32 with Vista SP2 so i assume there will be a new release from Eset pretty soon.

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  3. hclarkjr

hclarkjr Registered Member

i have no trouble at all running the latest version 4 on my machine. are you using 32 bit or 64 bit vista and NOD32? your post doesn't say which version

4. Yakumo

Yakumo Registered Member

I'm having exactly the same issues as the first poster with eav_nt64_enu.msi on vista ultimate 64 with SP2 installed.

Above and beyond that though I disabled all the services though the nod32 gui prior to install one of them caused a BSOD during the last few stages of the SP2 install.

Rebooting the install completed properly. and nod32 seemed ok. it was a few reboots later the above issues started. the icon went red, told me to uninstall.

uninstall doesn't complete properly, have to clean the registry manually in safe mode.

reinstall does not complete.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.