NOD32 v6 "Windows cannot find antivirus software"

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by miki69, Jan 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miki69

miki69 Registered Member

Dear All,

I've installed NOD32 v6.0.308 and now I get message from W7 action centre: "Windows cannot find antivirus software", like W7 doesn't recognize/see NOD32.

I did clean install of nod32 v6 (previously I had v5, no issues)

I also have Comodo Firewall v5, W7 64bit. (and W7 does "see" Comodo in firewall section)

Everything is working fine (maximum protection in NOD32 menu).

Any idea?

Also I have noticed that sometimes apps like Fx, Outlook or Directory Opus (windows explorer replacement) take enormous time to load (7-8 secs), not always, but it's kinda annoying and I didn't experience this with nod32 v5. I have also disabled HIPS in NOD32 as I thought it may conflict with Comodo firewall, but problem is still there.

Any idea for this as well?

Cheers,
    Miki

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  2. SaphireX

SaphireX Registered Member

As far as the Action Center->Security My system says the same as all previous versions of NOD32 did..."ESET NOD32 Antivirus X.X reports that it is up to date and virus scanning is on" - and basically the same for Spyware and Unwanted Software Protection.

However if you generate a System Diagnostics Report that's when it says

"The Security Center is unable to identify an active anti-virus application. Either there is no anti-virus product installed or it is not recognized. Resolution: 1. Verify that an anti-virus product is installed. 2. If an anti-virus product is installed and functioning configure Security Center to stop monitoring anti-virus status..."

If I remember right Marcos answered this a few years ago and although the Security Center in Win7 "recognizes" that NOD32 is installed there is something different in recognizing the same if you generate a System Dagnostics Report...The gist of it was that it does not mean anything in reality.

I too have noticed that the latest version of v.6 with some large applications causes them to load slowly in comparison to v.5 and below. I have excluded all of my TMPGEnc programs because of the slowdown...
    (Win7 X64 Ultimate 16GB RAM)

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Does disabling Advanced heuristics on file execution make a difference? If so, what are the applications that start with a delay? Posting SHA1 or MD5 should be enough for us to check it out.

4. miki69

miki69 Registered Member

I've just installed v5.2 and windows report antivirus presence correctly.

v6 uninstall process was a real pain. I've uninstalled it via "programs and features" (usually I use YU), took good 10 mins to complete (at some point I thought program froze, but I left it running anyhow), asked for restart and upon restart NOD32 was loading! (like it wasn't uninstalled at all). All (or almost all) files were there in ESET folder :eek:

So I had to do it old-fashion way (safe mode, manually cleaning leftovers, regedit......).

I'm considering to keep v5.2 as I have no headaches (all apps start normally without any delay or hick-ups.).

Cheers,
    Miki

5. SaphireX

Hi Marcos

Like I said soon after installing fresh version 6.0.308.0 I noticed a dramatic slowdown > 12 secs in how these 3 applications started up. Also
    on one occaision I got this fault on startup:

The program TMPGEncVMW5.exe version 5.3.1.85 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
    Process ID: 1440
    Start Time: 01cdf8081b7d5928
    Termination Time: 61
    Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Pegasys Inc\TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5\TMPGEncVMW5.exe
    Report Id: bb00f602-6403-11e2-99f8-002522e7ac6b

Never had this slowdown and fault before under version 5.X. Once I excluded all the 3 application in the Pegasys Inc directory\*.* all 3 applications returned to their normal 3 to 8 sec load time and no more fault.

Following your advice...By default Advanced heuristics on file execution was checked? So I unchecked it and tested the 3 applications and it made no difference still very slow startup > 12 secs. So I used the default button to Revert Advanced setup to defaults it did not check the box for Advanced heuristics on file execution. Yet on a fresh install of ver 6.X that Advanced heuristics on file execution box was checked by default(bug in installer for that setting?)

The 3 apps are:
    TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works (latest licensed version)
    SHA1 ABA460E5A95F6912813E9FDAA7418C191DF33D5D

TMPGEnc Authoring Works(latest licensed version)
    SHA1 2C4356A0CFE1AC9D8B5D25383FAA30F9A74C536E

TMPGEnc Smart Renderer 4(latest licensed version)
    SHA1 FEBB740B608B0B678F8A79CB8A470E6F112C3F9E

Do you also need the MD5?

Hope this info helps...

Thanks!

6. Marcos

No, MD5 is not necessary to know. Please create 2 Process monitor logs; one from the point when there's a delay upon running an application and the other one from the point when the application is excluded or real-time protection is disabled and the application is launched immediately.

When done, compress the logs, upload them to a safe location and PM me the download link.

7. SaphireX

Hi Marcos Just sent you a PM with the relevant download link for the files
    Thanks

8. Marcos

The logs didn't reveal anything useful which is weird given that excluding the "Pegasys Inc" folder helped. Only a few files were scanned and each was scanned quickly (in ms).
    Try the folowing, one at a time, and let me know about the result:
    - disable real-time protection
    - configure real-time protection to scan files with default extension set (ie. uncheck the "Scan all files" box)
    - exclude the exe extension from scanning in the real-time protection setup

9. SaphireX

Thanks Marcos for reviewing the logs!
    Over the next few days will try each method and make observations. Then will report back

10. Niels

Niels Registered Member

This may also help. Most of the time is the above solution works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.