NOD32 v5 local.db file growing large on my SDD...

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by ggms, Oct 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ggms

ggms Registered Member

NOD32 v5 local.db file growing large on my SSD...

I'm evaluating ESET NOD32 and I'm concerned with one file that I notices just growing larger and larger o_O , it is located at:
    c:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\local.db
    ...log cleanup does nothing. I'm concerned because I have a small SSD and I'm not really happy about idea that NOD32 is writing constantly to that file wearing my SSD for no obvious reason... :thumbd: so, my question is:
    What is the purpose of that file and is there any way stopping it growing larger and larger?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I, for one, don't think that the file is more than 5-10 MB in size which is nothing compared to the size of today's disks. If that concerns you, you should be also concerned about streaming media or unpacking archives that also create temporary files.

3. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Well, I'm not the least bit concerned about the size of my local.db file. However, FWIW, mine is considerably larger than 5-10 MB. In fact, it's closer to 17 MB. At least with respect to the "Updfiles" folder, which can grow incredibly large (in my case, as in over 80 MB), NOD32 has a provision for clearing that folder.

4. ggms

ggms Registered Member

@Marcos
    ..how about expanding that sarcastic lecture, that really did not answer my question in any way, with some info that I was searching?

Thanks in advance...

BTW, English is not my native but I think that I pointed out that it is not filesize that is my primary concern..

5. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

SSDs distribute their writes so you don't get hot spots that wear things out unevenly and the service life of even the first generation ones were in the 10+ year range. You really shouldn't be concerning yourself with this kind of thing.

6. Marcos

You can try disabling ESET Live Grid, I assume that doing so will stop writing to that file.
    However, as I said, the amount of data written to this file is incomparably lower than that written to pagefile.sys or temporary files created while installing applications, browsing the web, extracting archives, etc.

7. ggms

ggms Registered Member

Nah, thanks you for your suggestion, but is is not ESET Live Grid... :( It was already disabled.. And for that "writing" thing it's ok..curiosity is primary reason for trying to found out about that file...because it is not log, it is not update file, it is not temporary file and it is not cache and it is some kind of database (!) I researched a little and it seems it is HIPS related...my rules are on automatic and logging in HIPS is disabled but still... o_O

8. Marcos

Ok, so one more thing to try - disable smart optimization in all scanners, including the startup scanner.

9. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

Is it the scanners's cache memory?
    If so, is safe to delete it?

10. ggms

ggms Registered Member

Hm, this is getting funny :rolleyes: it's not smart optimization either, disabled every occurrence (think there were four of them), restarted pc, browsing internet for a while, check local.db size after 10 minutes... file grew 200kb o_O

@toxinon12345
    You can't delete it, it is protected from deletion by NOD32...

11. ggms

ggms Registered Member

Ok I got it! :cool: That growing local.db file is tied to NOD32 "Enable Self Defense" option. :isay:
    I unchecked self defense option, restarted pc and file reset itself to 1000 bytes size...it will do it's usual growth if you continue your work but now it reset itself everytime you restart your computer. Go figure. o_O
    I still do not know the purpose of that file because it seems to me that this kind of "self protection" with this type of "logging" is unnecessary but it's ESET choice... :doubt:

12. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

Deleting that file causes already scanned/known files to be scanned again unnecessarily.
    Smart optimization cache is lost when you reboot, while the LiveGrid seems to be persistent even if you reboot.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.