Nod32 v5, an update caused it to partially uninstall itself?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Ismail, Nov 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ismail

Ismail Registered Member

Hello, when I started up my computer I got a NOD32 update that was quite different from preceding ones I've been accustomed to for years. Basically whereas prior ones were simply automatic updates with the whole "definitions updated" or whatnot, this one was a box which asked my permission to install the update in question. I didn't look too closely at it (it did have some NOD32-looking graphics at the top) but when I clicked yes it began a whole installation thing which basically ended in NOD32 disappearing from my taskbar and when I try to access NOD32 from the start menu I get "Error communicating with kernel." Windows says I have no anti-virus software as well.

I figured it might be a virus but when I used Windows Defender and the ESET Rogue Application Remover both came up clean. My computer runs just fine and there's nothing impeding anything, so either:

A. I have a fairly advanced virus;
    B. I should restart to finish the update (seems a bit unlikely);
    C. NOD32 did something weird and I should uninstall and reinstall.

My hard drive has been on a bit of an adventure lately, being affixed as a secondary hard drive to another computer due to Hurricane Sandy knocking the power out of my main computer. I put my HD back into my main computer when power came back on and, besides most things being considered "shared" in status (I had copy-pasted some things from my HD to another when it was a second HD), all seemed fine. Then the nor'easter came and my computer also was without power, so I turned it on (when power was restored, of course) and... well, what I just described occurred.

I use Windows 7.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Hello,
    we'll need to know step-by-step instructions how to reproduce the issue. Don't know what you mean by "update that was quite different from preceding ones"; I guess you checked for a newer version and chose to install it?

3. Ismail

Ismail Registered Member

As I noted, when I started up the computer I assume it decided for whatever reason to notify me of an update and asked for my permission to install it. I didn't check for one, my NOD32 automatically updates, but the difference is that I was never asked permission to update, it simply updated by itself up until today.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  4. Marcos

Do you know if you had v. 5.0.95 or older installed before? Such older versions may receive a program component update to the latest version 5.2.9, however, the update can only be triggered by the user when checking for the latest version of the program.

5. Ismail

Ismail Registered Member

I do not know, but when I briefly had power on November 6 and used my computer I did click for it to update (by pressing the NOD32 button on the toolbar and going to the update portion of the program to check for updates) and it updated as it would any other time.

You mention a "program component update," and I think that was indeed what the box asked if I wanted to install.

I haven't rebooted my computer yet because, as I said, I wasn't sure if a virus had somehow subverted NOD32 or not. From what I can see though it appears that there's no virus involved, this just has to do with NOD32 itself.

6. Ismail

Ismail Registered Member

Since I made my original post I've obviously restarted my computer; NOD32 works, updates, etc. just fine, but every few hours this pops up: http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc207/MrdieII/NOD32componentupgrade.jpg

I'm pretty sure this was the exact same thing which happened last time and caused NOD32 to stop working on my computer 'till I restarted. Should I just uninstall and reinstall the program? Install the component upgrade and see what happens?

7. Marcos

It looks like your EAV didn't upgrade properly to v. 5.0.95. Please uninstall it (use the Uninstall tool in safe mode, if necessary) and install the latest version 5.2.9.

8. Ismail

Ismail Registered Member

I finally decided to uninstall (in order to reinstall) it and, just as it was about to finish, this popped up: http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc207/MrdieII/nod32error_zpsa8d0fbd6.jpg

The program then proceeded to "roll back" the uninstallation, although Nod32 isn't in my toolbar anymore (the ESET folder still exists.) Should I go with the uninstall tool in safe mode, then?

Edit: Just to clarify I haven't restarted my computer yet.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  9. Marcos

It looks like you removed the msi installer from the Windows\Installer folder which is required for uninstallation. Use the Uninstall tool in safe mode as suggested above.

10. Ismail

Ismail Registered Member

I finally did what you suggested and it worked. I reinstalled NOD32 and all seems fine. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.