NOD32 V4 & gaming

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by eezdva, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eezdva

eezdva Registered Member

Hi all,

I am gaming a lot. Specially a small tennis game called Dream match tennis pro.

At times the game works great with Eset but many times Eset is scanning all kind of things in the background making the movements choppy while gaming.

Specially as I have to follow a small ball and the controls of the balls are very sensitive I have real problems with it. I end up having to disable the anti virus for a normal experience.

Beside that NOD32 just is great for the normal internet experience it hasn't been for my gaming experience.

I have seen the page where they suggest a gaming setup ofr NOD32 but this isn't helping. My laptop keeps having problems.

Is there a possibillity that you can let NOD32 not scan files that haven't been changed like Kaspersky and now also Norton does?

Greetings Eezdva

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Have you reviewed the following white paper from ESET?
    Configuring the computer by following the instructions in it may help with the performance issues you noted.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. eezdva

eezdva Registered Member

Yeah I couldn't fiind the link to post it but I mentioned this in my post.

It doesnt help. My laptop isn't happy with NOD32 and gaming in that sense. I tried to tweak some services and stuff on vista home premium thought it might be that.

But NOD keeps scanning things . Which basicly makes my gaming experience lag even with the gaming setup.

:'(

I am a NOD32 user but I of course tried other security software. Although ESET is the fastest, for gaming it isn't.

Norton 2009 does slow the internet browsing a bit down but it keep really on the background while gaming.

I am a bit desperate because there is no way I want to change from Eset.

4. SalC

SalC Registered Member

Disable it while you're gaming - unless you're doing risky behavior at the same time, ie: surfing the web, etc.

5. eezdva

eezdva Registered Member

Yeah that is the only option, but of course I wouldn't want to disable the antivirus nor antispyware.

It is pity cause NOD is the best fo the rest of my PC,:( love it.

6. bradtech

bradtech Guest

What version of NOD32 are you running?

EDIT:
    Just realized you are V4 lol.. Try V3, and V2 to see if the problems persist..

7. eezdva

eezdva Registered Member

I kind of stopped using NOd32 a few years ago (V 2.7) because it lagged also so I had to change to Norton . Really not happy with that one lol.

Anyways I stopped playing so I used NOD32 again but now that I started playing again I got the same problem back.

8. bradtech

bradtech Guest

Have you tried excluding all your games? I have done this also..

9. eezdva

eezdva Registered Member

UHM, no .

Cause I thought as the only exlusion option was the one underneith on demand scanning and as it is real time I though it had no use? or ??

Guess I am wrong?

10. eezdva

eezdva Registered Member

Do I just exclude the "game".exe or the whole programm file of the game?

11. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

Try with the least exclusions first. So, try just the .exe. If no luck, try the path.

I've found the best performance gains (not for gamng, I've better things to do with my time) are done by unticking "scan on open" and "scan on create". This means things only get scanned when executed, which is where the vast majority of the threats originate.

Jim

12. eezdva

eezdva Registered Member

Ok , though whats the difference between scan op open and scan on execute?

I mean when opening isn't it also executed?

And should I do that on the real time protection of course right? Can't really find this where to configure.

Sorry for all the noobs questions but just wanna be sure.

13. jimwillsher

When you launch Excel or Word you're executing a program. But when Excel or Word opens up a spreadsheet or a document, you're opening a file. When you do save-as in Word or Excel you're creating a file.

In the default configuration of ESET, all the files would be scanned. But by unticking the boxes I mention, only excel.exe and winword.exe get scanend (plus DLLs of course).

Right there, in front of you. Real-time file system protection screen. "Scan on" there's a group of five tickboxes. Untick "file open" and "file creation".

Jim

14. eezdva

eezdva Registered Member

Ok, but if someone would send you an infected word document . That wouldn't be scanned anymore?

15. jimwillsher

Infected in what way? Word docuemtns aren't executed as such, so the only way you could be at risk is via scripting inside the document. And that's where your other protection comes into play - such as disabling macros in Word etc. If a document were to be infected, and somehow infect your system, then the realtime scanner should pick up the virus when it was executed.

As you've discovered, protection is all about striking a balance. Get an AV solution to scan everything all the time and you take a performance hit. Get it to scan nothing and you take a risk hit.

Think of it as having twenty locks on your front door. The house is very secure but it takes you twenty minutes to unlock it each day....and somebody might break in through the window.

Your best bet is to experiment. Tick the boxes until gaming performs as you need it to perform. And if you ended up unticking lots of boxes then just don't open any word documents whilst playing games.

ESETallows you to save and restore configurations, and you can disable real-time protection with a coupld of clicks. It's your call...

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.