NOD32 v4 disabled, no update button

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by historicmountain, Aug 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. historicmountain

historicmountain Registered Member

Protection status is "Antivirus protection is disabled. Virus scanner initialization failed. Most of the ESET Smart Security modules will not function properly."

Went into advanced mode and checked "Enable Antivirus and antispyware protection" but it unchecks itself.

Rebooting did not resolve issue.

Unable to uninstall because uninstall fails with error that it is only valid for installed products. Remote uninstall failed. The logs are blank, so there is nothing to check....

I'm new to this product, and this is the only computer with this error. I am still rolling this out, and there are 40 odd computers that are working fine.

OS = Windows XP SP3

Searched the KB with no helpful information at hand. One suggestion was to run update, but the update button is missing entirely.

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Just a thought, that particular PC has an Admin rights issue :doubt:

3. ccomputertek

ccomputertek Registered Member

it sounds like ekrn.exe did not start, do you see it running in your task manager processes ? says your not able to uninstall, are you able to just install it or repair it ? since something thinks it's not even installed ? sound like something got corrupted or something malicious changed it's settings and knocked it out.it's very easy to recover from all these types of errors, just use common sense and creativity and go look for things and delete them.also try the installer cleanup utility from microsoft and then try to repair or reinstall.

4. historicmountain

Thanks for the quick replies!

The Ekrn.exe is running, and I'm logged in with the local admin account. The reinstall was failing, citing unable to write to certain registry keys. I checked the permissions on the keys, and I SHOULD have been able to write with either the local admin and/or domain admin accounts that I logged in with. I at least have something to go on.

5. ccomputertek

I hate it when that happens, i'm not even going to try to touch that with registry permissions getting corrupted.................But " perhaps " <----- my favorite word, just checking the permissions for the 4 files that make up the windows registry ? I never have to worry about this, I only use the FAT32 file system on standalone pc's.But I guess your on a network soooo..... :D

\WINDOWS\system32\config is where you want to look.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Please follow these instructions and then install the latest version 4.0.437.

7. historicmountain

Thanks, Marcos! That worked. :D

8. ccomputertek

Thats it LMAO, i'm turning in all my certifications.I'm just getting too old and feeble to be fixing computers anymore perhaps.I was still right though, halfway.Where the special uninstall program goes to uninstall everything is where i was doing it manually before, especially:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer]

and

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root]

I'm getting rusty, no doubt about it.But I still have never had to call any type of tech support or have someone else fix one of my pc's for me, so i'm not dead yet......... lol :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.